Anyone Else Lost Interest?

People going for netbooks instead of the Pandora and claiming them to be a suitable replacement are really missing the point. The same goes for certain, slightly idiotic bastardizations of the netbook concept by companies who will remain unnamed (ARCHOS ARCHOS!!!!!) which are basically just UMPCs all over again, only this time with crappy specs and crappy advertising claiming them to be the "future of netbooks" when they are, in fact, the miserably failed past of mobile computing (OQO, for example). Sorry, I'm just a bit bitter about that.

Please, please, mod a netbook with gaming controls and post pictures so I can laugh hysterically at you. All the 7 hour batter life claims utterly fall to pieces as soon as you engage the graphics chip.

It might surprise some people just how little time it takes to fall off a roof. I doubt that Craig falling off the roof would delay the project at all :D

The devices i speak of are umpc devices such as the viliv S5 and the UMID M1, both offer 6+ hours use on full load,full load tested vas HD video and i know that the UMID M1 can be underclocked from 1.3 to 900mhz and gives up to eight and a half hours full load,tested and confirmed on the UMID forum,the Viliv S5 offers around 7 hours full load and up to 50 hours stand by,dont know about overclocking tho.I do think both devices could be easy modded for game control or just use a bluetooth device, ohh and both these devices ARE pocket size,infact the UMID looks much like the pandora design only minus game controls.These are the first wave of devices that look really promising and im sure there will be many many more very soon,its from this i get the impression that the Panda will look dated when it finaly arrives on the doorstep,one last thing is that these devices give very little heat FACT as per the many reviews i have read on both devices including the atom 1.8 cpu spec.

paddy said:
The devices i speak of are umpc devices such as the viliv S5 and the UMID M1, both offer 6+ hours use on full load,full load tested vas HD video and i know that the UMID M1 can be underclocked from 1.3 to 900mhz and gives up to eight and a half hours full load,tested and confirmed on the UMID forum,the Viliv S5 offers around 7 hours full load and up to 50 hours stand by,dont know about overclocking tho.I do think both devices could be easy modded for game control or just use a bluetooth device, ohh and both these devices ARE pocket size,infact the UMID looks much like the pandora design only minus game controls.These are the first wave of devices that look really promising and im sure there will be many many more very soon,its from this i get the impression that the Panda will look dated when it finaly arrives on the doorstep,one last thing is that these devices give very little heat FACT as per the many reviews i have read on both devices including the atom 1.8 cpu spec.
If you think you're alerting anyone here to the existence of expensive UMPCs then I'm sorry to disappoint you but this is a clued up crowd and we know what options are out there. If a $700 x86 Windows machine is what you're after then by all means buy it, we won't stop you. However if you've already decided that the pandora isn't for you then what are you doing here posting on the pandora enthusiast forums after all this time, other then to troll.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really think that losing interest is a problem. I think the problem is that people aren't losing interest. People are addicted to this thing, and their fix keeps getting delayed. They try to find substitutes to the Pandora, but there's nothing else out there like the Pandora (no matter how hard people try to convince themselves that a netbook is a good Pandora substitute). The people complaining about losing interest are most likely the people who are still interested but are just fed up with waiting.

This addiction to the Pandora is mostly caused by Craigix and the gang telling us every little detail of the Pandora's progress. We have so much info on the thing. People are addicted to the info and keep coming back for more info all the time, but there is very little new info lately. This problem is compounded because the team keeps promising that more info is coming soon, giving people more reason to stick around. Then the info doesn't come and the addicted users are desperately sitting around the team angrily begging for more.

This could have been avoided if Craigix and EvilDragon and everyone just kept their progress updates a bit more private. The trade off with keeping the news on the downlow is that more people will actually lose interest (because there is no reason to keep looking for news), but the fanbase will be less restless and aggravated.

I can understand why the Pandora team decided to tell everyone about every little status update though. OpenPandora is not a major corporation and the project is basically made by the fans themselves. Members of this forum have put a large amount of work into making the Pandora a possibility, and it's a great feat that has almost been accomplished. This project is based on the support of the fans.

So my advice to anyone eagerly awaiting the Pandora and checking back every day for every little smidgen of information, give it a break. Remove gp32x and the Pandora blogs from your bookmarks. Cold turkey. Focus on something else and don't obsess over an expensive piece of entertainment. The info is not going to disappear. I understand and sympathize for your addiction, but 2 months times infinity is a long time to wait for the Pandora.

Everyone, just check the news once a week instead of daily. Reduce the amount of info. Get your mind on something else.

I've been involved with a project (fan base more or less) that has been ongoing since sheesh 2002. I got one of the unit but with it, new FPGA cores are made. Luckily enough, it was such by nature to have that ability but it needs another upgrade board for it to be ever closer to its original vision.

The bottom line - I don't sit around and listen to every chatter or look for news updates multiple times a day. I use to do that and it became tiresome (energy exhaustive). I still have an interest in it and what it can do and be. Over time, it evolved as to what it can be for me but still.

2002 is a long time to wait but I can see this project becoming what it is intended to be and alot quicker and sooner and shorter time then 2002 to present.

The team has to be cautious about starting up too many projects. You can end up dividing your attention and that divides progress rate for on-going projects. I look hope to seeing this progress to completion perhaps by Christmas time and Batch 2 production run in say - Summer of next year.

GeneralZod said:
Asmo said:
lulzfish said:
They're small netbooks.

The Pandora is pocket-sized, apparently this isn't a feature for some people.

Naturists.

You're forgetting "nature's pocket", for which being smaller than a Netbook most definitely becomes a feature.

Ah, so that explains the rounded edges on the final design.

I'm not sure how I feel...

90% of the features and capabilities can be found in different devices, just not all in the same place, with the same openness.

Pandora is a convergence device. A netbook with gaming controls. Most people are going to use it for gaming on the go, media files, mobile surfing with a 3G device/wifi or just general linux based madness. It's not going to excel at any of these things the same way a PSP/DS, Netbook/Laptop/Computer, or MP3/MP4 player would (With the exception of Hi-Grade Homebrew, and Emulation without proprietary hell).

What makes the Pandora special, is that it's a new idea, and a new bit of technology. I honestly believe peoples interest in this is more based on tech-lust, than real world applications. I know mine is.

The only things I actually see myself using it for is emulation (without the PSP's problem of incessant security firmware updates), and some light media usage when I'm away from laptop. Maybe I'll use Firefox here and there, but using those little keys for extended periods doesn't float my boat.

A New PSP-2 with better controls, or a an X-BOX hand-held cracked open would probably do me just as well in the long run. The irony being the big names are probably watching this project very carefully and integrating ideas into their new products..

I just hope this thing ships with enough time to be appreciated as the powerhouse it is (or would have been a year ago)

I really don't wanna receive this thing next year, and find out it's the little train that could..

Anyhoo.. I'm not going to bitch because the LATEST video has been announced but not uploaded, or take a swing at Craig because he's being funny on the tape rather than showing every little feature and game..

The Dev's have taken a lot of stick on this project, and whilst I don't agree with everything that's been said and done, I have a lot of respect for them and their vision.

I wish them the best of luck, and hope they bring this product to fruition with as fewer problems as possible.

Lost interest? Yes and no. I certainly haven't lost interest in the Pandora itself. I have lost interest in reading the forums obsessively every day, though, probably from a combination of my dislike of the new look and the fact that I'm working two jobs for the summer and don't have a lot of time. For example, I haven't read the rest of this thread ... I really only check the developers' posts every day. I guess that still counts as interest, though. :lol:

I was one of the first to order almost a year ago and I was one of the few to be lucky enough to re-order on my CC. Unfortunately, I cancelled my order about a month ago and as usual had excellent customer service.....too much obsessing, just visit once a month or so and will pick one up oneday if all goes well. I bought an iphone 3gs and could not be happier.......love new gizmos:)It was hard to ask for a refund after waiting soooo long BUT it was just too long a wait for me :( I just hope if and when the first batch comes out, it will be worth the wait !!! I really do :)

I'm in for the long haul. I check these forums every day just so I know what the community is up to, and I'm trying to be extremely patient about finally receiving my Pandora .. was one of the first to pre-order, then re-pre-order, then re-re-pre-order, and now I'm just sitting here .. waiting .. waiting .. watching .. thinking .. waiting .. thinking .. getting .. excited .. waiting .. :p

I think Pandora is going to be my personal preferred target machine for development for the next two years, alongside Android (bah, iPhone, bah!) and I'm really, really looking forward to the experience of releasing software for the thing. If it finally feels as good as I think its going to feel, then I'll be a devoted fanboix of OpenPandora Ltd., for years yet ..

The one thing I'm really concerned about is reliability. With the current craze of faulty hardware I'm really hoping the Pandora does not continue that trend and the console lasts YEARS from now..

I've got to admit, I'm starting to lose interest myself. :(

My wife originally pre-ordered last year, well before xmas, with the hope that it would arrive in time for me to open it on xmas day. Next plan was a January birthday present. After that I was resigned to the fact that it would take a few more months to arrive. In the mean-time, there was the whole credit card fiasco during which my wife cancelled my order.

Well, those few months turned into several months and lately I'm feeling a little over it all. Given that I won't see a Pandora until the 2nd batch - at the earliest - I'm pretty sure I won't be receiving mine until 2010. So in effect the Pandora design will be at least 2 years old by then, if not more, which is a long time in this game.

I'd have to honestly say that at this point, I'm not sure I will be ordering one.

(In no way a criticism of the Pandora team, just my honest thoughts).

tcdev said:

My wife originally pre-ordered last year, well before xmas, with the hope that it would arrive in time for me to open it on xmas day. Next plan was a January birthday present. After that I was resigned to the fact that it would take a few more months to arrive. In the mean-time, there was the whole credit card fiasco during which my wife cancelled my order.

Well, those few months turned into several months and lately I'm feeling a little over it all. Given that I won't see a Pandora until the 2nd batch - at the earliest - I'm pretty sure I won't be receiving mine until 2010. So in effect the Pandora design will be at least 2 years old by then, if not more, which is a long time in this game.
EDIT: tl;dr rant

It's 2 years old since it was announced... I would be very surprised if other devices like the Pandora did not go through development processes of at least a year, and they are way more funded than OP. Seriously, why is this an issue? I bought a 360 after it had been released for 3 years. I bought a DS after they'd already released the Lite. The DS was announced in 2003 and it's still currently the highest-selling console that exists, and in about 30 million more units it will be the most-sold console of all time (DS is at 107.75 million, PS2 is at 138 million) PSP was unveiled at E3 in 2004 and probably was under development for a year before that and that platform is still around. Why is this such a big deal? It's a few years old since the device was started to be designed, but there aren't any current devices that meet its features, and even if a device were announced now, it'd probably hit market around the same time, and probably for more money, and probably not open either. The 3GS and the Palm Pre are very cutting-edge devices and they are running the same OMAP processor as the Pandora. It's going to be released less than 6 months after these devices. Seriously, it's ridiculous how much people complain that the Pandora is being obsoleted. It's completely absurd.
/EDIT

As for having to wait for at least 2nd batch, why don't you just order one now? There are still first-run Pandoras available and at this point (they've FINALLY started making the cases, the big hold-up from the beginning) there's not all that much to delay the release. I'm pretty confident you'll get it by January. If you order one from the first batch and don't get it by the end of January, you can PM me and I'll go buy a hat and eat it and post it on Youtube.

rabidpoobear said:
I'll go buy a hat and eat it and post it on Youtube.
Hey! I already promised that if ReactOS gets a dynamic recompiler able to run programs in the 120 mHz range. Stop stealing my schtick! :p

WizardStan said:
rabidpoobear said:
I'll go buy a hat and eat it and post it on Youtube.
Hey! I already promised that if ReactOS gets a dynamic recompiler able to run programs in the 120 mHz range. Stop stealing my schtick!
tongue.gif

You promised that rapidpoobear would eat a hat? Isn't that a little ... presumtuous?

rabidpoobear said:
tcdev said:

EDIT: tl;dr rant

It's 2 years old since it was announced... I would be very surprised if other devices like the Pandora did not go through development processes of at least a year, and they are way more funded than OP. Seriously, why is this an issue? I bought a 360 after it had been released for 3 years. I bought a DS after they'd already released the Lite. The DS was announced in 2003 and it's still currently the highest-selling console that exists, and in about 30 million more units it will be the most-sold console of all time (DS is at 107.75 million, PS2 is at 138 million) PSP was unveiled at E3 in 2004 and probably was under development for a year before that and that platform is still around. Why is this such a big deal? It's a few years old since the device was started to be designed, but there aren't any current devices that meet its features, and even if a device were announced now, it'd probably hit market around the same time, and probably for more money, and probably not open either. The 3GS and the Palm Pre are very cutting-edge devices and they are running the same OMAP processor as the Pandora. It's going to be released less than 6 months after these devices. Seriously, it's ridiculous how much people complain that the Pandora is being obsoleted. It's completely absurd.
/EDIT

As for having to wait for at least 2nd batch, why don't you just order one now? There are still first-run Pandoras available and at this point (they've FINALLY started making the cases, the big hold-up from the beginning) there's not all that much to delay the release. I'm pretty confident you'll get it by January. If you order one from the first batch and don't get it by the end of January, you can PM me and I'll go buy a hat and eat it and post it on Youtube.

I agree, its not gonna be "old tech" on its release date (HOPEFULLY LOL) but its been a bit too long for most people (in my humble opinion anyway). Im not a troll??? am I? I dont even know what it means to be a troll (they live under fairytale bridges dont they???) Im just a guy who ordered first batch & re orderd imediately after the bank thing happened. I want to wake up tomorrow to a knock from the posty and find its arrived and log on to find the forums gone ape sh*t, Im still desperate for mine to get here but I cant help but feel the sparcle has worn thin if not completely off... This device was gonna be streets ahead... nothing on earth was gonna be close (at the original release date guestimate). It`ll still be good but not jaw dropping anymore??? (bring on the abuse, lol)
Dont get me wrong... Im a fan of craig, I live a couple of towns over to newcastle, ive driven past his house... ive looked throught the windows late at night with my binoculars (BAHAHAHA NO I NEVER ACTUALLY DID THAT!!! LOL) but ive purchased other products from him like my gp2x and i love the customer service i got. I guess i just needed to vent a bit of frustration in this subject... PLEASE GET THIS THING TO ME CRAIG & CO. SO i CAN STOP WHINING!!!
Does the way i feel sound like the way everyone else feels? (please be realistic and not just rude)

Philly said:
Does the way i feel sound like the way everyone else feels? (please be realistic and not just rude)

I feel thaqt, realisitcally, most people ARE just rude.. and threads like this TEND to really bring out that aspect of everyone's nature :(

Back