Anyone For Some Rts Gaming

Then the third one could be, Yet Another Two Months: Revenge of the Case Manufacturer.

Sphinxter said:
System requirements

Minimum
  • 1 GHz single core CPU with SSE-Instructions
  • 512 MB of RAM
  • 64 MB Nvidia Geforce 3 graphics card
  • Roughly 200 MB of hard drive space, depending on how many maps and mods you download with the installer.
<a name="Recommended">
Recommended
  • 2 GHz single core CPU or better
  • 1 GB of RAM or more
  • 256 MB Geforce 6600 Series graphics card or greater
  • 2 GB of hard drive space to accommodate more maps and mods
This.

TA (Total Annihilation) is my all time favourite RTS (until spaceRTS is released of course). SpringRTS is a project to bring this classic RTS in the world of 3D. Whilst a simple as-is TA clone would IMO be the best app for the Pandora ever, this is not their ethos. SpringRTS is too greedy for our wee little box. Shame but true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dimacus said:
How about calling the first game Two Month War, and the second game for Not Another Two Months Of War

That is too long of a name for a game, that's why I suggested "Two Month War". A sequel would probably keep the same name, but have a subtitle, like: "Two Month War 2: Chinese Uprising"

-God Ginrai

Zotty said:
Love RTS games, but my guess is that a 3D look using 2D (e.g. think C&C red alert) would be better suitable.

Or Command and Conquer Gold? That was released as freeware recently for some damn anniversary or another. And there's an open source reimplementation of the engine, FreeCNC, which might compile and run on the Pandora.

Warzone 2100 is open, and they say it can run on a PII 200Mhz with 64 megs of ram. You'd probably need to add support for OpenGL ES. Ditto with BOS Wars.

I bet Globulation would work great.

I'm certainly interested. And would love to assist. Trouble is I doubt my skills are not transferable to coding.

Could we have an area of quick sand shaped like sticky shoulder buttons?
Ok, no need to flame I admit it's a silly idea.

Kicker said:
Zotty said:
Love RTS games, but my guess is that a 3D look using 2D (e.g. think C&C red alert) would be better suitable.

Or Command and Conquer Gold? That was released as freeware recently for some damn anniversary or another. And there's an open source reimplementation of the engine, FreeCNC, which might compile and run on the Pandora.

Warzone 2100 is open, and they say it can run on a PII 200Mhz with 64 megs of ram. You'd probably need to add support for OpenGL ES. Ditto with BOS Wars.

I bet Globulation would work great.

FreeCNC is already running on the Pandora, according to Pickle.

-God Ginrai

may88 said:
TA (Total Annihilation) is my all time favourite RTS (until spaceRTS is released of course). SpringRTS is a project to bring this classic RTS in the world of 3D. Whilst a simple as-is TA clone would IMO be the best app for the Pandora ever, this is not their ethos. SpringRTS is too greedy for our wee little box. Shame but true.

TA is fantastic. If one was making an rts for the pandora theres deffinetly some elements in TA that should be looked at gameplay wise such as the armed commander removing the need to end the game with the boring proscess of finding the last enemy building or unit like you still get in warcraft. But then theres some stuff in c&c that was good also such as the ore trucks. But buliding the extractors in TA was cool too as when I was playing they often turned into defensive outposts as id build guns to protect the extractor turning it into a safe place for building other stuff. Power stations are less fun tho so one could have trucks collecting some sort of bio fuel and metal extractors to bring both gameplay elements.

In short I think an rts that combined the best of TA and C&C would be awesome.

It'd also be cool if units became tougher as they increased status to veteran which I dont think they do in TA. It'd give you an incentive to pull back and save units in a hopeless assault as you would in real war rather than leaving them there and building more. Units leveling up like the heros in warcraft would mean that in a four player game you wouldent be at a disadvantage for killing players two and three while player four sat building tesla coils (so cool) and tanks without attacking.

Back