Anyone Got A Ps3 Yet ?

well the problem is its a download that you need ot pay for (800oddmb) but you really need a jap credit card :( i wonder if i will be able t ochamnge my firmware to the UK one when it comes out here so i can actually buy stuff from playstation store ?

Huxley posted on Dec 17 2006 at 12:20 AM said:
Progressive versus interlaced. One is the true resolution, the other is only mimicking it using roughly half the data. So if you have a good TV, you probably won't notice the difference. But personally I can't tell the difference between 780p and 1080i :p

Actually since MOST games for the 360 and PS3 are 720P a native 720P TV will look best with those. 1080 will not magically give a 720P game more resolution, it just scales it up making it actually look softer than it's native 720P resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Dec 29 2006 at 03:02 AM said:
Actually since MOST games for the 360 and PS3 are 720P a native 720P TV will look best with those. 1080 will not magically give a 720P game more resolution, it just scales it up making it actually look softer than it's native 720P resolution.

Do you know if this will change as developers learn to fully utilize the innards of the ps3, or if the ps3 simply is not powerful enough to render the majority of games in 1080p?

If, like me, you are a resident of Europe the use of 720p is rather unfortunate. Short of homecinema projectors almost no displays available here are capable of natively displaying 720p. Odd resolutions such as 1366x768 are commonplace, thereby necessitating scaling (which results in the aforementioned artifacts).

Samsa posted on Dec 30 2006 at 06:20 PM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 29 2006 at 03:02 AM said:

Do you know if this will change as developers learn to fully utilize the innards of the ps3, or if the ps3 simply is not powerful enough to render the majority of games in 1080p?

If, like me, you are a resident of Europe the use of 720p is rather unfortunate. Short of homecinema projectors almost no displays available here are capable of natively displaying 720p. Odd resolutions such as 1366x768 are commonplace, thereby necessitating scaling (which results in the aforementioned artifacts).

Well it has been said in a technical article somewhere that the 360 actually has a superior GPU to the one in the PS3. 360 games are all 720P. There are some PS3 games though that are going to be 1080 just so they can say "we do 1080P". Since 1080P requires more power to move data around it is harder to do it and get a smooth framerate, it takes more time to optimise the code. Both 360 and PS3 are powerful enough but it will definetly effect framerate so most of the time they are opting for 720P right now. Who knows if that will change in the future or not. The Xbox 1 did 1080i and there were a couple of games that used it, a few were 720P but most of the time they used the easier to code for 480i or 480P.

My Bravia is 1366x768 too and I wondered where they get that goofy number from. For the 360 I just use VGA input which allows for 1:1 pixel mapping which avoids the artifacts. The PS3 doesn't have VGA so it scales the HDMI. The result there is that the 360 is alot sharper.

Well, if you use a projection HDTV like the Phillips Philips 32 PW 9551, you´ll always have a sharp image, no matter what resulution you use. Just bad that there are no FullHD Projection TVs...

After the Christmas rush and after post Christmas sales, there are still PS3s available locally. They don't seem to be selling that well in my area. :eek: The only things on the shelves right now are PSPs, PS3s, X box 360s, Game Cubes, and Gameboy Micros. I picked up a Micro. :)

darkman posted on Dec 31 2006 at 02:04 AM said:
After the Christmas rush and after post Christmas sales, there are still PS3s available locally. They don't seem to be selling that well in my area.
That's so totally unfair. The damn things aren't even released here till March.

Day after Christmas the local walmart had 7 of them. Are sales drying up nationwide?

subcon959 posted on Dec 31 2006 at 04:40 AM said:
After the Christmas rush and after post Christmas sales, there are still PS3s available locally. They don't seem to be selling that well in my area.

You are not missing much. I have a PS3 and it sits while I play the 360. The current PS3 game library totally blows. The games that are out on both are better on the 360 and the Sony exclusives are kind of lame and few. By the time they have units to sell in quantity maybe there will be some decent games too.

talkin about 1080p and i and 720 this and 480 that how come my ps2 does 570p ? and i think the wii does 570p sometimes ? is that somethin to do with them being PAL ?

CABBAGES posted on Dec 31 2006 at 02:44 PM said:
talkin about 1080p and i and 720 this and 480 that how come my ps2 does 570p ? and i think the wii does 570p sometimes ? is that somethin to do with them being PAL ?
Probably. I believe the PAL DVD spec is 576 lines compared to NTSC's 480.

DaveC posted on Dec 31 2006 at 01:34 AM said:
subcon959 posted on Dec 31 2006 at 04:40 AM said:

You are not missing much. I have a PS3 and it sits while I play the 360. The current PS3 game library totally blows. The games that are out on both are better on the 360 and the Sony exclusives are kind of lame and few. By the time they have units to sell in quantity maybe there will be some decent games too.
The thing JUST came out. Give it some time.

Resistance is pretty excellent. I like it at least.

DaveC, why do you have to be such a dick?

Resistance starts out weak but gets awesome. I just got the the level with snow. WOW, the snow looks great. I haven't played much online, but what I have played is crazy smooth and lag free.

I'm totally addicted to Blast Factor. This game is very underrated. My high score is only 1.8 million, which puts me at around 1400.

I've had a ton of fun with the GTHD and F1 demos. The key to fun on these is to turn off all the aides. F1 is a totally different game, especially if you turn on damage.

And of course the awesome motorstorm demo.

It does look like there will be a lot of titles available by the time it's released here so things should definitely pick up. I'm much more of a handheld person these days though so I may not even get one.

dockthepod posted on Dec 31 2006 at 06:14 PM said:
DaveC, why do you have to be such a dick?

Resistance starts out weak but gets awesome. I just got the the level with snow. WOW, the snow looks great. I haven't played much online, but what I have played is crazy smooth and lag free.

I'm totally addicted to Blast Factor. This game is very underrated. My high score is only 1.8 million, which puts me at around 1400.

I've had a ton of fun with the GTHD and F1 demos. The key to fun on these is to turn off all the aides. F1 is a totally different game, especially if you turn on damage.

And of course the awesome motorstorm demo.

Well 1 OK shooter and a couple of unfinished demos do not a launch make. If you have to include unfinished demos as part of the launch lineup that is pretty sad.

Like I said the current library blows. I never said it wont be good eventually but now it is weak. Any other company would be bashed from all sides if they launched a system this way. Because it is Sony all of the fanbois make excuses for them.

DaveC posted on Dec 29 2006 at 02:02 AM said:
Huxley posted on Dec 17 2006 at 12:20 AM said:
Progressive versus interlaced. One is the true resolution, the other is only mimicking it using roughly half the data. So if you have a good TV, you probably won't notice the difference. But personally I can't tell the difference between 780p and 1080i :p

Actually since MOST games for the 360 and PS3 are 720P a native 720P TV will look best with those.

Yeah, apart from the PS3 games that offer 1080p, in which case I'd imagine they'll look best at 1080p.

And 720p isn't automatically preferable to 1080i just because it's a 'native resolution'. Just choose what looks best to you...they're both pretty much the same thing.

Any other company would be bashed from all sides if they launched a system this way. Because it is Sony all of the fanbois make excuses for them.

What, you mean like the Wii? A load of shallow mini games rescued only by an outdated RPG with a shoehorned control system that was originally designed for the Gamecube? Yeah, I'd imagine if Sony had released a console that relied on gimmicks they'd be totally immune from criticism, because Nintendo certainly seem to be.

Any other company would be bashed from all sides if they launched a system this way. Because it is Sony all of the fanbois make excuses for them.

When I was researching into XBox360 before I purchased one, I went to the forums and websites where people complained about it and I am sure that I read the above quote several times but with the word Sony replaced by Microsoft, implying that Microsoft had made huge mistakes that Sony and Nintendo would never be able to get away with.

Back