'app Store-like Service'


schnitzelboy

Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2008
Messages
100
well, first off, its a rumor, but if it is true, it's probably a program on your home pc that will sync your recently purchased apps with your wiz when you plug it in, kinda like itunes and an ipod, ya know :)
 

geo12

Retrofuturist
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Messages
713
Location
Ithaca
Website
Visit site
schnitzelboy said:
well, first off, its a rumor, but if it is true, it's probably a program on your home pc that will sync your recently purchased apps with your wiz when you plug it in, kinda like itunes and an ipod, ya know :)
Yikes, that sounds like that terrible software that came with the gp32.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

trooper

Trooper`s watching you !!!
Joined
Apr 20, 2003
Messages
5,503
Location
The DarkSide (London)
Website
Visit site
vapourstreak said:
which was... ?

nice member No.
Freelauncher on the GP32, And the sync/transfer software on the PC called PC Link then later when the BLU came out GP Manager.

Trooper
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Alex.

Retired
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,617
I'm looking forward to hearing more about this as well.

Hopefully it will be a regular online store with flexible payment options, as opposed to a standalone application. I also hope they'll keep the awkward visual novels to a minimum.
 

sam fisher

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2004
Messages
9,452
Location
Bristol, UK
Website
blog.peter-r.co.uk
Alex. said:
I'm looking forward to hearing more about this as well.

Hopefully it will be a regular online store with flexible payment options, as opposed to a standalone application. I also hope they'll keep the awkward visual novels to a minimum.
It will be especially good if it is easy to sell your applications / games on there.

vapourstreak said:
but it cant be on the wiz (like the itouch) because it has no wifi right? It has to be on a computer i think

im hoping gph will surprise us/me with wifi :D
I somehow doubt we will have wifi.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

sam fisher

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2004
Messages
9,452
Location
Bristol, UK
Website
blog.peter-r.co.uk
vapourstreak said:
hmm.. how did the web browsers for the gp2x work without wifi?
I'm not even going to bother answering this question but instead will simply tell you that the Wiz screen is too small for web browsing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

rokdcasbah

got me a date with botticelli's niece
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
1,517
Location
up on cripple creek
vapourstreak said:
hmm.. how did the web browsers for the gp2x work without wifi?
On the f100 at least, you could do USB networking and use an internet connected computer as a gateway, or use USB host mode to hook up a wifi dongle (but I think you have to supply extra power to the dongle).
 
Last edited by a moderator:

vapourstreak

Still Fresh
Joined
Mar 30, 2008
Messages
67
Age
26
Location
Richmond, BC, Canada
Website
www.facebook.com
is it possible to create a HTML reader then? I can make like a HTML portal for my PSP project Connect... without the wifi... nvm. Maybe ill make a.. windows? no wifi.... um.. Wii?

that should work? how about 360? sure...

we need a HTML reader... maybe including flash?

is it possible for us to stick in the dongle thing and use it as a msn client?
 

klikklak

Oh neat, it's a ... field.
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
845
Location
helsinki, finland
Website
Visit site
I think he meant msn as in the IM-client. I'd also like to know about running linux on the thing, it could be useful for limited purposes. I mean, both installing a usb or bluetooth dongle depend on having a linux distro on it. However, that's OT for the thread.

I really hope the app store means something along the lines of synaptic and not a windows app to sync it with pay-for minigames. Well, the gp2x route will still be open for us gnu users.
 

Larken

Still Fresh
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
13
Hopefully, I won't sound like a moron asking this, but why could you not take one of the Sandisk or Palm Wifi cards that use the SD slot and write drivers for them for the Wiz?
 

kfuse

Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2007
Messages
244
screen too small for browsing ?????

so your telling me the wiz is too small for web browsing then what about the cell phone is that suppose to be a joke??
 

___

Advanced Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
3,376
klikklak said:
I think he meant msn as in the IM-client. I'd also like to know about running linux on the thing, it could be useful for limited purposes. I mean, both installing a usb or bluetooth dongle depend on having a linux distro on it. However, that's OT for the thread.

I really hope the app store means something along the lines of synaptic and not a windows app to sync it with pay-for minigames. Well, the gp2x route will still be open for us gnu users.
Okay, you HAVE to be kidding me... the Wiz runs linux as it's operating system. How could you not know this? I mean, yeah you might overlook something like this normally, but you are on these boards since 2006 and the wiz has been discussed at length including the ease of porting apps from the gp2x to the wiz since they are both using linux!!!

And why would you want an apt-get like service when there clearly is no WiFi? Didn't we establish that in this thread already? I'd rather have an online store that I can actually browse in linux (not like that win32 crap they had for the gp32) and then slam the games I purchase on my SD card... Please god, do not let them mess this up with DRM... I am still considering to buy a Wiz in 2009 but DRM will be a deal breaker for me.


Larken said:
Hopefully, I won't sound like a moron asking this, but why could you not take one of the Sandisk or Palm Wifi cards that use the SD slot and write drivers for them for the Wiz?
Well, first you would need to not only have an SDHC slot but one that supports SDIO. I am not entirely sure but I think the wiz only has an SDHC slot, so you wouldn't get very far inserting a WiFi SDIO card. And even if they included SDIO, you still need to have drivers for those cards. I have never used one of these so I don't know if drivers for these things are required per manufacturer or if there is an opensource driver etc etc. So probably this is not an option.

garzyboi said:
screen too small for browsing ?????

so your telling me the wiz is too small for web browsing then what about the cell phone is that suppose to be a joke??
Seriously... have you ever considered that browsing on a cell phone sucks? I assume you are referring to WAP on the cellphone because normally webbrowsing is not possible on a mobile, only on the new generation smart phones (black berry, iPhone, LG chocolate blablabla) and those usually have bigger screens and browsing on them still mostly sucks. The only good experience I had so far was when trying the iPhone. Just because it's possible doesn't mean it has to be done. I hardly know anyone who ever used WAP for anything useful but downloading expensive ringtones and javagames...

Most websites are optimized for at least 800x600 resolutions. Now imagine trying to convert that to make it readable on a tiny 2.8" screen at 320x240... have fun with that abomination! Just imagine trying to read a thread on gp32x that includes pictures. You will most certainly go nuts... Give it a try on your gp2x. Install qtopia and load some html files with opera (or whatever browser is included, I forgot).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top