'app Store-like Service'

xnopasaranx said:
Most websites are optimized for at least 800x600 resolutions.
GPH may develop a website optimized for 320x240 that will be the shop :D

Last edited by a moderator:
quasist said:
xnopasaranx said:
Most websites are optimized for at least 800x600 resolutions.
GPH may develop a website optimized for 320x240 that will be the shop :D

LOL... yeah and it'll only be in Korean but will feature an automated google translation. "Purchase the great opportunity to entertain household. Super Mega animated film playback."

Okay, you HAVE to be kidding me... the Wiz runs linux as it's operating system. How could you not know this? I mean, yeah you might overlook something like this normally, but you are on these boards since 2006 and the wiz has been discussed at length including the ease of porting apps from the gp2x to the wiz since they are both using linux!!!

Yes, I do know that it runs linux. However for using things like bluetooth dongles you need a distro as I _highly_ doubt that gph kernel holds the modules to do all that. That's what I meant with 'linux', a distro. I'm not familiar with open2x but I think that's along the lines of what we need for bluetooth or wifi dongles.

And why would you want an apt-get like service when there clearly is no WiFi? Didn't we establish that in this thread already? I'd rather have an online store that I can actually browse in linux (not like that win32 crap they had for the gp32) and then slam the games I purchase on my SD card... Please god, do not let them mess this up with DRM... I am still considering to buy a Wiz in 2009 but DRM will be a deal breaker for me.

Apt-get for the emulators then automatic syncing with sd cards? Make sense? Sounds like something I'd like. It wouldn't be 'apt-get' per se, but I used the name just to convey the basic mechanic. Yes, I think the app-store will be along the lines of what you said and that was what I was trying to say as well, anything but a windows app for the store. I agree about DRM.

Regarding webbrowsers etc. network apps, I'm in the meh camp, it might be good enough for MSN/gtalk/IM, but there's plenty of gadgets that do that already.

xnopasaranx said:
"Purchase the great opportunity to entertain household. Super Mega animated film playback."
Me and my two pet parrots like watching films... on small display...

klikklak said:
Yes, I do know that it runs linux. However for using things like bluetooth dongles you need a distro as I _highly_ doubt that gph kernel holds the modules to do all that. That's what I meant with 'linux', a distro. I'm not familiar with open2x but I think that's along the lines of what we need for bluetooth or wifi dongles.
Okay, every linux install is somehow a "distro". Loading a compiled module into the kernel is like one command. There is no need for anything like a debian distro or similar. Loading module was also possible on the gp2x... so this still doesn't make any sense. That's why you need a sort of open source driver.

Apt-get for the emulators then automatic syncing with sd cards? Make sense? Sounds like something I'd like. It wouldn't be 'apt-get' per se, but I used the name just to convey the basic mechanic. Yes, I think the app-store will be along the lines of what you said and that was what I was trying to say as well, anything but a windows app for the store. I agree about DRM.

Okay, I get what you want to do but apt-get was just a very confusing example in this context.

Fine, maybe I was overly vague. You're right, a dongle just needs a module. Frankly I don't have a clue where to look to add just a module to the gp2x. So a precompiled binary release with assorted tools would be preferrable than just distributing a module as such.

xnopasaranx said:
Well, first you would need to not only have an SDHC slot but one that supports SDIO. I am not entirely sure but I think the wiz only has an SDHC slot, so you wouldn't get very far inserting a WiFi SDIO card. And even if they included SDIO, you still need to have drivers for those cards. I have never used one of these so I don't know if drivers for these things are required per manufacturer or if there is an opensource driver etc etc. So probably this is not an option.
The problem isn't with the slot or the hardware, it's the lack of a driver. I have to assume that creating one isn't trivial. To my knowledge, the main reason it hasn't been done for GP2X is that the GPH kernel is based on 2.4 so any recent code you find would need to be essentially rewritten. Maybe Open2x will make things easier.

So Larken, yes you could use an SDIO card if you had a driver. The thing is, the writing the driver part isn't trivial. Maybe it will happen. But I wouldn't buy the Wiz assuming it's going to happen. If it does, it'd be nice.

vapourstreak said:
but it cant be on the wiz (like the itouch) because it has no wifi right? It has to be on a computer i think

im hoping gph will surprise us/me with wifi :D
Your drunk or high? I really hope your kidding you dont think they would post every positive about the wiz they could for pr but surprise us with wifi? Just as a bonus.... no way not a chance in hell sorry man no wifi.

darkriku said:
no way not a chance in hell sorry man no wifi.
I agree that the likelihood of GPH throwing in wifi at the last minute is just about zero, but all hope is not lost. According to ED's naked Wiz pics, here is a bit or room inside the case on either side of the battery. A clever modder could possibly cram a wifi chipset in there and wire it directly to the USB pins on the EXT connector. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's an option if wifi is a deal breaker for you.

cool but it would be a expensive add on or in the next generation of wiz's

Back