Apple Watch

after unplugging the microwave
We've already established they're stupid enough to believe putting your phone in the microwave can charge it; I think you're expecting too much thought in the aftermath.
So let's just hope they have a good RCCB. :)

(oh well, yes, I guess it's dangerous. I know from experience how it feels when there is no RCCB and you touch a live 230V AC wire. I don't know how the situation looks like world wide, are there still a lot of houses without them {in places where stupid people have enough money to buy iPhones}?)

(oh well, yes, I guess it's dangerous. I know from experience how it feels when there is no RCCB and you touch a live 230V AC wire. I don't know how the situation looks like world wide, are there still a lot of houses without them {in places where stupid people have enough money to buy iPhones}?)
First time I hear about RCCB, I'm quite sure nobody installs them here..

First time I hear about RCCB, I'm quite sure nobody installs them here..
o_O
Bad.

I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure here around they are mandatory for newly built houses. Or the people doing the electricity installation at the very least recommend it to you (they are called FI-Schalter in German).

Usually pretty much every house has them here (CH/South DE). I touched a live wire like 15 years ago in an old house which hadn't got one (they installed one after that incident) and I can still see the scar pretty well. If there had been one it would have disconnected the electricity so fast it probably wouldn't have hurt me at all.

Because the Apple Watch, and the Smarthwatch Discussion, i just bought me a new Watch whitout Smarth :)

10644855_816285601725417_8993150418397651078_n.jpg

And the Frist Color fits nicely whit my Remote Controll Unimog :)

Every flat I've lived in has also had an RCCB, or RCD as they known here, fitted, at my current flat I've got this one

http://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-hi-integrity-dual-rcd-board-and-devices/51017?_requestid=74445

TBH though, I don't know too much about them other than I have to flip the switches on again when they trip, due to blown light bulbs mainly.

...Does this box of tricks protect me from exploding microwaves then in same manor?

No that I'm ever going to try that new iOS8 WAVE feature :) or ever put anything metal into my microwave, but just wondering...

...Does this box of tricks protect me from exploding microwaves then in same manor?
only if the explosion causes some kind of short circuit (in a circuit that is connected to the RCCB)

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers, that makes sense, I'll speak to my maintenance guy and ask what exactly 'is' hooked up to that thing :)

Good to know

RCD RCCB... oh you mean the circuit breaker?

Acronyms are fine and dandy when everyone knows what you mean! >_>

Also the acronym doesn't save you any syllables(RCD saves you one!)

</mini rant>

I feel better now. :ph34r:

...I'd not heard of RCCB until I read this thread, then when I googled it to see what it was, Wikipedia said it's known in UK as RCD... That's why I said that :)

I've just known and referred to it as 'that electric switch box on wall', or 'the trip switch box'

oh you mean the circuit breaker?

As I understand it, an RCD is designed to trip when there's an earth fault where a regular circuit breaker that you're probably thinking of is designed to trip when there's a short.

Circuit breaker trips when positive touches negative and current becomes infinite.  RCD trips when power touches some kind of grounding source (eg human) and current goes out but not back.

But that's about 2 minutes of internet research, I'd never heard of RCD before now so I could be misunderstanding or oversimplifying.

You got it, WizardStan.

Sorry about the seemingly unkown acronym, that's sometimes hard when translating, there are many possibilities and you don't know which one is actually widely used / normal.

TBH though, I don't know too much about them other than I have to flip the switches on again when they trip, due to blown light bulbs mainly.

No that I'm ever going to try that new iOS8 WAVE feature :) or ever put anything metal into my microwave, but just wondering...
If you go and insert a fork into one your electricity outlets, with your bare hands, then that device will mostly protect you (i.e. you shouldn't die. I wouldn't try it).
It probably won't keep the microwave from blowing up. Depending on what exactly happens, after or during the microwave blowing up either the ground-fault-emergency-shut-off or the too-much-current-emergency-shutoff (happy? no acronyms and I don't have to look words up) will trigger, but only /after/ something bad happened inside the microwave.

Saw angry 'users' of iPhone 6 on the news this morning complaining about the bending 'problem' - to demonstrate, several took an otherwise intact one and bent it for the camera, with a visible degree of quivering effort required to do it. The kind of effort it would take to break many devices.

Slim device + Back pocket + seated posterior = predictable results.

Reminds me of when console games first started coming out on CDs - fuming customers with wrecked, scratched discs would insist it was a manufacturing defect that the discs couldn't withstand what they considered 'normal use'. Bleh to these people making me side with Apple.

The problems with the touch ID and the call service are bad though, and seems recent update has reset my mates email settings too, now unable to establish connection with the smtp server.

...Can't see that many Android owners jumping ship now, eh Apple :)  </mockery>

abuse of CD's and a pocketable device bending are two completely different things. its not abuse to put a ph in your pocket......

i predict a plethora of Armour cases coming!! Also apple saying suck it up", you want thin. Well thin bends. Dont put it in your pocket!!"

LMAO

Back