Appstore Look

darien said:

OK, I don't think I'll bother updating mine, because that's pretty much perfect.

Maybe a "more info" link below Newly Added (to view them in list form like Featured), and rearrange the product stats more horizontally so save on space, but otherwise you're done.

Good job, Darien!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn these look sexy. Faves so far are Dariens and Kagatos.
Kagatos categories would be harder to hit with a finger, so I'd probably vote for Dariens at the moment.
Nice work guys :D

EDIT: I also like the idea of intergrating it into Pmenu too.

Yep, Darien's a winner. I'm very much into user-interface design and human-computer interaction (currently an undergraduate student pursuing a degree in CS), and I've had serious issues with many of the previous submissions (not to mention that many things in them would be a coding nightmare or impossible, like updates), but this one puts all the others to shame (no offense to anyone else, seriously).

A few suggestions:
  • Try to limit the sidebar to only containing navigation items. It's nice to have something like top-rated apps on the sidebar, but they're not really necessary. It might be better to have links to the top-rated app list, most-downloaded app list, etc in the sidebar instead of the actual lists themselves.
  • You should add a button for login/logout somewhere, probably on the top bar.
  • Consider making the top bar a bit smaller? It seems slightly larger than necessary to me, but it might not be when appropriately scaled.
  • Ratings would be better using either a numerical ratio (3.4/5.0) or images - using asterisks isn't ideal (and could be hard to see, especially for people with certain kinds of visual disabilities).
  • If the newly added section could be interactive, that would work quite well here. (For an example of what I'm envisioning, try going to Amazon, going to the page for some product, and scrolling down to the bottom. There should be a box titled "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought", with a couple items listed and buttons for scrolling the list to the left and right. That would work well, and would allow us to comfortably display the title of the application under the image.)
  • The home button might not be necessary - just make the Pandora icon in the top-left link to the home page.
  • It might work well to have the "Welcome, <name>" and a logout link to appear in that area below the top bar and the categories list. (If this and the above suggestion are implemented, we could have a "linked list" of navigation links in that top bar - "Games>RPGs", "Emulators>SNES", "Apps>Office", etc.)
  • If the above is implemented, it could be an expanding box that has "Welcome, <name>!" as the title (with a logout link next to it), and then links to user-specific pages (my uploaded files, my recent downloads, my account, etc.) in the expanded part.
  • It might make more sense to only display the size of each category for the subcategories and not for the top-level categories. Showing that the store has 800 games isn't as useful as showing that there are 30 RPGs, 100 FPSs, etc.

Yeah, I'll admit that's a lot (and I could probably come up with a few more). It's already very nice as it is, but the more user-friendly we can make this interface, the better. If we really want the Pandora to take off as a platform, we need a good web-based front-end for our application repository. Having a more clean and polished interface makes the whole project look more professional, and could make the difference between a significant commercial project taking us seriously or putting us off as a market not worth their time.

drools at (naw)mcx's design. nice finger friendly idea, loved the concepts :p shouldve stuck to your concept however. the lists on the side shouldnt really be needed. and you couldve encoperated the panda logo and search into the grid

i will get to work later ;) see if i can do anything to help. however i feel ive joined the boat too late :/

not sure why we are wholey concerned that the store is only 11k etc as we will be using wifi anyway. guess it keeps bandwidth down but i doubt with external css and re-used images the next pages after the initial load would be smaller anyway.

Why not keep the html + css + javascript files local, and only get the xml files from teh intarwebs?
right, cuz then it wouldnt work anywhere else...
but I guess you could also keep a copy online, for access on devices other than pandora.

El Jefe said:
Why not keep the html + css + javascript files local, and only get the xml files from teh intarwebs?
right, cuz then it wouldnt work anywhere else...
but I guess you could also keep a copy online, for access on devices other than pandora.

think were starting to go down the appstore app route with that though.

Right now I still can't decide between conso's (for stylish and clean visual) and kagato's (because it is very well designed and usual)

All the store really needs is a RESTful API then anyone could easily make an application to tie into the store API to at least allow browsing around. Not too sure how payment and authentication would work though... would definitely need some more thought.

I was (and still am) considering making a local-app version of an app store/repository. I'm not going to start till I get my Pandora, but I've already got an interface (or part of an interface) mapped out in my head.

For payment apps, instead of a "Download" button, there would be a "Purchase" button that would open a web-browser pointed to the purchasing page for that application. Much easier to do it that way than try to incorporate the purchasing into the local app as well.

I thought it would be nice to link the forums with the Appstore - I know most of the developers will be posting their updates and apps here so why not just re-use the skin?...
Maybe we could even link the logins as a single signon unless this is too complicated to do and the sites will be sitting on different servers?

Need to work on the body of the site for the categories..
Also included advertisement space - comeon its an appstore must have advertisement space.. even though I know none of us will click on it...

FullScreen View::
Click here for full screen view.

Preview::

Dead1nside said:
Depending on where it's going to be hosted, you might want to make it match the openpandora.org theme.

might be true to match it with the pandora website BUT why did criag ask us for a design? would be a bit odd to get us working on designs then just use the design already the website lol
heres the main page for mine. iphoney finger friendly, hopefully sub pages etc will be updated later today.
pandoraappstore.jpg

edit: erm quick question now ive made this :S just realised this is gonna be in firefox. so how much space does the toolbar, scroll bar etc take up lol back to the drawing board :p
will have to snip off the left side and bottom to make it fit in :p

Trevsweb said:
Dead1nside said:
Depending on where it's going to be hosted, you might want to make it match the openpandora.org theme.

might be true to match it with the pandora website BUT why did criag ask us for a design? would be a bit odd to get us working on designs then just use the design already the website lol
heres the main page for mine. iphoney finger friendly, hopefully sub pages etc will be updated later today.
pandoraappstore.jpg

edit: erm quick question now ive made this :S just realised this is gonna be in firefox. so how much space does the toolbar, scroll bar etc take up lol back to the drawing board :p
will have to snip off the left side and bottom to make it fit in :p

This is my favorite so far!! ;)
For user interface iphone style and easy to access apps within pandora..

more margin for the logo too close the right but otherwise excellent!

fixed%20pandoraappstore.jpg

updated for long pages with the scrollbar and firefoxes menus :p im sure it needs more optimising but should be relitively ok for now.
edit : thanks as always SlashEMc2k :)

edit: for future designers the res with the scrollbars on and all the toolbars as above. its 783 x 347 tho if you took off the bookmark toolbar/small buttons it would give more freedom

last edit i promise : can firefox boot in fullscreen mode?... let say the panda came with a desktop icon or shortcut that could turn fullscreen mode on allowing us to use the full screen re-estate...

Trevsweb said:
updated for long pages with the scrollbar and firefoxes menus :p im sure it needs more optimising but should be relitively ok for now.

edit: for future designers the res with the scrollbars on and all the toolbars as above. its 783 x 347 tho if you took off the bookmark toolbar/small buttons it would give more freedom

last edit i promise : can firefox boot in fullscreen mode?... let say the panda came with a desktop icon or shortcut that could turn fullscreen mode on allowing us to use the full screen re-estate...

Thats windows...

greendots said:
Trevsweb said:

Thats windows...

but its a still a valid point. firefox in the linux disto were using now will still havethe toolbars and everything. maybe a tiny bit more compact but i suspect not by much
edit: ok the ubuntu firefox is 1 pixel more on the scrollbar while being 15 pixels more on the toolbars :s
we have to do rough estimates now as we dont have the true screen resolution after firefox hogs it all :p

Trevsweb said:
As far as I know, there is no way to start it fullscreen. You need to push F11. Seeing as the Pandora doesn't have an F11, we can probably arrange to make it some other key. There is a plugin or two that can do it, but I don't think that's a good idea.

It's an aesthetically pleasing interface, but it wastes WAY too much screen real-estate. It looks like it was designed much more for looks than for usefulness.

Trevsweb said:
fixed%20pandoraappstore.jpg

This looks good, or maybe it's because of IE8? dunno. FF suc*memory leak*

Back