Appstore.. Really?

i think something like getPND might be good. it doesnt give any illusions that they are either free or paid applications and its suggests something potentially more corporate than a straight up PND repository. it definitely needs to be open to interpretation as both suitable for free and bought apps.

The crazy idea we had months ago was .. for people who run an alternative linux on Wiz, supporting pnd-files for Wiz would be a piece of cake; for the normal Wiz kernel version it would be a pain to get modules ported to it and loaded, but its possible. A pnd-file supporting thing, without some of the pnd-features would not be too hard though.

ie: Mounting and invoking an executable within a pnd is one thing, but the union-mount magic that redirects writebacks to the SD instead of the pnd is a bit more.

Anyway obviously its not somethin we're spending time on right now, but it would be a neat thing to hack on later :)

jeff

The Box is a great name. Or Pandora's Box. All the evil stuff has fled outside but hope is still there. :)

RenegadeChic said:
i think something like getPND might be good. it doesnt give any illusions that they are either free or paid applications and its suggests something potentially more corporate than a straight up PND repository. it definitely needs to be open to interpretation as both suitable for free and bought apps.
I like this one. Short, simple, and pretty catchy. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
How about the 'international Pandora application database', or iPad, for short?
I don't think that that would lead to trouble.

skeezix said:
The crazy idea we had months ago was .. for people who run an alternative linux on Wiz, supporting pnd-files for Wiz would be a piece of cake; for the normal Wiz kernel version it would be a pain to get modules ported to it and loaded, but its possible. A pnd-file supporting thing, without some of the pnd-features would not be too hard though.

Well, since Orkie and Senor Quack (whom I just shipped a WIZ :)) are working on Open2x for the WIZ which will probably use EABI (like the WIZ OS should have to make things faster) and EABI does make all old binaries incompatible, that would be a good idea to include that.

Last edited:
efegea said:
Whatever is called, it must be easy to integrate on a menu interface :)

I meant, it should have an API for applications to interact and download (and purchase) items. It's a MUST!!

Vlynndar said:
That really would do. :lol:
Anyway, I do also like something like getPND (remembers me about getJAR.com).

Vlynndar said:
Since Apple doesn't own the i-something rights, and there has been no official announcement of an iPad... couldn't OP get the trademark rights to iPad before Apple?

Edit: Yeah, just found out it was announced... too little too late.

The iPad is on Apple's US site, BA - it's definitely been officially announced. It's due out in March/April-ish. ;)

Personally I like the word appstore because for me app is short for application, and while I use the term only for non game programs I still like it. It's short and sound nice etc. The word 'store' can be a bit misleading, although there are free apps in Apple's appstore. I spotted two good alternatives in this thread 'space' and 'center'. Appspace is a bit easier to pronounce but both are nice. In think most people will get the meaning of both since they are so similar to Appstore which they already know about.

My vote is on AppSpace :)

The Chinese are already working on the website - theappstore.cn. As a matter of fact they are finished (TM), so Appstore it is.

Back