Beta Appstore

Should uploads be working right now? Or perhaps I'm better at breaking things than I thought.

I attempted to add a new app with an oversized preview image. I got the oversize error message (image too big - file deleted), and now I can't submit anything at all. The Submit button registers the click visually (little wobble) but doesn't go anywhere.

I've tried:

- Attempting a new upload from scratch with the same descriptions & files
- Attempting a new upload from scratch with new descriptions & files
- Both of the above after logging out & in again
- Both of the above with a new account

[edit]
Removed some details better suited to PM. Issue resolved in post #109.

Keep screenshot under 50KB. There was an issue uploading earlier on..
I have seen no newer 'uploads' lately.
The below is also about uploads.

It's most likely a similar issue with different output message?

craigix said:
kingoddball said:
"Your screen shot isn't valid, it needs to be a PNG, JPG or GIF file.
zip"

It's a valid image (previously used, even).

Yep, I'm busy fixing some bugs which involve turning that on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read everything. ;) Not clear on whether uploads should be working or not though.

[edit] Oh, if we could change all occurrences of "catagory" to "category" I would sleep better tonight.

Trevsweb said:
stuff like AJAX will make it in at a later stage when we get the ball rolling with the static site...(maybe lol)
no point having it flashy if it doesnt do the job its supposed to do.

Maybe this will help, all the simplest AJAX kit possible, most of the frameworks etc. are grievous overkill, http://gp2x.fullsack.com/jackin.js The site is an XML/XSLT transformation but looking at the source of the page produced by it at http://gp2x.fullsack.com/cocoon/gp2x/index.xml will give you a guide as to the usage for it.

Gruso said:
I have read everything. ;) Not clear on whether uploads should be working or not though.

[edit] Oh, if we could change all occurrences of "catagory" to "category" I would sleep better tonight.

Gruso: It's working. Check Appstore - Emulators. Just added a random upload for you.

well i am not the hacker some of you are but i did find 1 thing not found yet.
when you sort the games to "sort by rating" it is lost as soon as you select any of the show only buttons. all other sort by work properly for games. they do not work in many of the other categories
.also +1 on the search clearing when selected.

kingoddball said:
Gruso: It's working. Check Appstore - Emulators. Just added a random upload for you.
Ok, Craig's going to love this. I was able to do it in IE (see Misc section). I'll try to figure out what Firefox's problem is.

You using Windows or OSX?
I'm using firefox with no issues. I'm on the current version with no changes to settings. (I'm using OSX)

It's more aesthetics and not a bug, but you probably shouldn't go back to the homepage after you rate something.

EDIT: Also, there's something terribly wrong with the "last applications you downloaded" in the My Account section. If I download that random picture that was put up for Gruso of the LittleBigPlanet guy, my "My Account" says that I downloaded the "Wheel of Fortune" app. Whoops?

EDIT2: This is totally just aesthetics, but I feel like there should be more rounded corners. Like, each of the objects in the top and side bars should look like tabs with rounded edges towards the outside of the viewport (IMO). It would make it feel much more friendly and 21st century.

EDIT3: A few more aesthetic "issues" - It's probably unnecessary to have the words "showing" and "switch to" at the tops of the top tabs on the main page. In the same vein, you could make the top tabs smaller (especially if they're going to get rounded corners/look like actual tabs) and put the text above the line of tabs (like in the games category where each top tab says "Only show").

^ Just checked that out, they both use the same zip archive. Looks like the app name is associated with the most recent upload of a given filename.

[edit] Just downloaded both, now I have two 'wheel of fortune' entries in my download list.

That could be an user/uploader issue. I uploaded both of those images. SacBoy was just to show Gruso it's working.

It could be showing that you downloaded W.O.F even though you didn't - It's probably an uploaded by user issue.

Edit:

Gruso might be right. I used the same image zipped at the "application".

Gruso said:
^ Just checked that out, they both use the same zip archive. Looks like the app name is associated with the most recent upload of a given filename.

Yeah, that's an issue. Uploads should probably all have unique IDs.

I love the site design. I've been screwing with it all day and finding new issues and problems. It's been fun.

I have just tried the problem you're having. It's strange. Seems like an uncommon problem. You would think that unique ID's or similar would be used. I'm sure over time there will be same file names.

Another thing (appearance) I would like to see is hyperlinks for category and author names, etc: "Author: Kingoddball - Catagory : Emulator Console"

I'm sure this will be made later - I just wanted to put it out there.

It's interesting that on the main page and on pages that show 4 apps the same way, the icons show the center of the image at their original size, unlike the individual app pages or category view pages. Just little aesthetic issues, nothing like the whole creating-a-new-user-with-the-same-name-as-an-already-registered-user-overwriting-the-original bug.

I think maybe they could add a few extra screen shots to each app (if uploader wants to add them). Maybe click on main screen shot and then there are a few more.

Not sure what this button does, but when I click it an object not found error.
5vdsp1.jpg

Attachments

• 5vdsp1.jpg
    5vdsp1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 128
It's to give the post a Thumbs down. To give it a low rating or something very similar or report comment.
It shows as a dead link because Craig has not set it up yet as it's not integral to the AppStore at this point.

Dude - Order Number Challenge is a groovy game! Worth 5 stars! Download and Rate! ;)

Upload Knob Polisher!

kingoddball said:
It's to give the post a Thumbs down. To give it a low rating or something very similar or report comment.
It shows as a dead link because Craig has not set it up yet as it's not integral to the AppStore at this point.

Dude - Order Number Challenge is a groovy game! Worth 5 stars! Download and Rate! ;)

Upload Knob Polisher!
Done. I should mention that on the upload page after an application has been uploaded it says "Application Screenshot:" but doesn't show my screenshot.

It's a lag I'm guessing. It works when you go back and re open it!
Looks fun! ;)

Back