Beta Appstore

Actually in the 'application screenshot' (on the upload page) it just added a .png to the end of what I had uploaded and tried to display it.

But what I had uploaded as the application was a jpg to start with so...

Ooooh! I get to break something! :ph34r: Can I help?

At first I was worried it would be restricted to devs with Mk. 1 boards and such, then I felt like a moron when I read the words website.

i always thought the Pandora appstore would be an on-system binary, like most linux systems! Not that I mind, and it probably saves some space!

Craig: How is the page going to wrap to the Pandora screen?
If you look at /GAMES/ section it just keeps getting longer in the same page.
Maybe it could be a set amount of icons/lists per page. 5 works, but is not enough between pages. Maybe make them slimmer to fit more.
I would rather have access to all the left hand side tabs; as when the list gets longer the left side stays blue. I like to have access to all the tabs the entire time.

Willrandship said:
Ooooh! I get to break something! :ph34r: Can I help?

At first I was worried it would be restricted to devs with Mk. 1 boards and such, then I felt like a moron when I read the words website.

i always thought the Pandora appstore would be an on-system binary, like most linux systems! Not that I mind, and it probably saves some space!

They want it to be used for GP2X/WIZ and other devices. Not just Pandora. Web Based is the best option for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "Applications You Have Uploaded" section under My Account doesn't show anything I've uploaded, and so far there isn't any way to edit my uploads. Also it says "Go to your account or signup" on the My Account button and I think sign up should be written as two words.

Mine is the same. I don't think they have fully set up the site with all the fine details.
I don't suppose you noticed your details?

I think we're all the same.

Account Details:

* Nationality: United Kingdom
* Date of birth: 15/07/1984
* something else

everyone is forced with the same date of birth no choices :p
yea were just getting the main functions online.

Thread is getting long, I've just gone through and put together a list of known issues so we don't get too repetitive. Hopefully I've picked everything up. A wiki page would be ideal I guess.

SIGNUP:
Non standard characters accepted for usernames
Email addresses not validated
Duplicate usernames can be registered

UPLOADS:
User uploads not listed
Some valid images return error on upload
Two different apps with the same uploaded filename can have their names swapped in the "downloaded" list
Screenshot missing from successful app upload page (reportedly it just tries to add .png to the app file itself and display it)
Uploads cannot be edited

DOWNLOADS:
Download counter not functional

VOTES & COMMENTS:
Multiple votes can be made by one user
Vote comment down returns error

SEARCHING:
Search needs tuning, eg. AbiWord returns MS Word information
Search needs message for "no results"
Search field should clear/highlight on click

COSMETIC / MINOR:
Typo: "catagory" should be "category"
Typo: "Go to your account or signup" <- change to "sign up"
Date format inconsistencies between apps
"Account set up successfully" page too long
Inconsistent image scaling between row view & column view
User account details (country/DOB/etc)

WTF?
Firefox addon "DownThemAll" can prevent uploads

SUGGESTIONS:
Lock left menu when scrolling
Moar rounded corners
Separate comments by app version
Hyperlinks for category & author names
Ability to add more screenshots
Top navigation could be trimmed down to free space

Oh and I haven't heaped any praise on you guys yet. Awesome work, it's going to be a fantastic little appstore.

fix for the search clearing should be fixed with within the form element (thanks google :D )
Code:
onfocus="if(!this._haschanged){this.value='};this._haschanged=true;"

thanks Gruso :D good work so far guys, hope craig can keep up

You can put stuff into the <title> on viewarea.pl?hi%20there

The "register the same username" makes me scared of what other oversights there could be. Are you sure it would not be a good idea to use some existing software base?

Whe you log in and post a comment to an app, then logout, go to that app again and klick the button topright of your comment there is a 404 error.

And maybe it would be better to return to the app after you voted.

Is it intended, that you download the thumbnail, when you click on install?

Spirit said:
You can put stuff into the <title> on viewarea.pl?hi%20there

The "register the same username" makes me scared of what other oversights there could be. Are you sure it would not be a good idea to use some existing software base?
+9000

Please remember that I made an application called "PND package manager" that basically did exactly the same thing as craigix's creation.

It isn't usable anymore because the APIs I used back then became deprecated (I used a library that was in the middle of a beta cycle) but point is: I made a working product, that didn't have any security flaws that I could find, and the original version was, like, 500 lines of code.

I added features afterwards like automatic PND uploading (→ you didn't have to fill in details about the uploaded PND yourself; the server would parse the PND and extract the info, including preview) and statistics (→ diagrams of who uploaded what in what category how often etc, and the diagrams were real-time) and the code went up to 1000 lines.

And if there's interest I could probably make a new program that matches the features of craigix's app store very quickly (not implying that craigix's version is "simple"; what I mean is that I have experience since I've made an app exactly like this once before)

Just sayin'

Is there a way to change the account details yet?

Whe you setup an account identicval to an existing one it will also say account registration successful.

The Gruso It's working app is shown as 143 kb but when I download I get a 0 kb zip.

You can post empty comments

If you want the page to look more professional, give text MUCH MORE SPACING from borders.

Seriously, spacing does make a hell of a difference. You can reduce the big font size a little and it will still be readable.

Didn't we have some drama on GP2X archives about this? Basically less popular apps get voted down by ROM-kiddies and some devs get put off and leave, resulting in less software and hurting the community?

Voting down should never be possible, just voting up, imo.

edit:
Usually the number of downloads already indicates popularity.

All that 'weird stuff' is happening because you're messing about with it while I'm working on it in debug mode. That's why I said I'd announce round two when ready.

When that happens your usernames, files and everything else will have been erased so we can start again.

Then round three etc. until it seems solid enough for a V1.0

notaz said:
Didn't we have some drama on GP2X archives about this? Basically less popular apps get voted down by ROM-kiddies and some devs get put off and leave, resulting in less software and hurting the community?
what ever way you look at it every sorting has its good and bad points.

a-z: zebra adventure gets lost at the bottom of the list.
rating: asshole vote mobs down rate something
downloads: new files get lost at the bottom with 0

really voting is the only way (if we can prevent assholes from ruining it) we can sort our files thourghly, unless we just do random partytime craziness and just have random files appear

ooo :p

Trevsweb said:
a-z: zebra adventure gets lost at the bottom of the list.
rating: asshole vote mobs down rate something
downloads: new files get lost at the bottom with 0
What about, you know, having a selection box for the sorting mode, and stuff?
You (→ craigix, Trevsweb, whoever) can take a look at how I did it in pndmanager; you were able to put a primary, secondary etc sort, and in ascending and descending mode for each.

Back