Ask the Dragon - Date has been set!

Not really, I know that my Pandora Wifi (1. Edition) is crap, I don't know if the Pyra WiFi is better. I hope it is of course. And size should not matter since there are enough Smart Phones out with decent WiFi in much smaller cases than the Pyra has. The WiFi Antenna module of the Pyra also looks promising big, let's hope for the best.

The Pandora wifi was crappy for me only when other more powerful devices were using the network (laptop PC for example), when alone instead was fast as the others.

The WiFi Antenna module of the Pyra also looks promising big, let's hope for the best.

I think you're thinking of the cellular antenna which is a beast. The wifi antennas are on the other side of the board and are miniature silver cigar cases effectively, about 10mm long or so.

That does remind me of a question I think I asked in a news thread that got lost in the flow:

Q: Does having two wifi antennas mean we'll be able to use MIMO in our wifi? I guess the antenna separation isn't that great, but it would theoretically permit the bandwidth to be split across the two antenna, assuming the antennas are wired separately to the wifi demodulator. If they're wired together in parallel then they'll just behave as one slightly bigger antenna I think. It's quite likely I don't really understand the tech though; it should be possible to tune into two or more signals from a single antenna especially if their wavelength is some integer multiple or divisor of the antenna length, you just plumb two tuners into the same antenna and decode both of the different frequencies at the same time.

Well, you can't expect Laptop quality (they have a LOT more space for good antennas), but it's as good as possible for such a small device (so compare it to your favourite smartphone).
My Moto Z does 700 Mbit/s over 5 GHz wifi to my wired PC with the router fairly close, but not even same room. Not expecting that much, really, but stability, speed and latency well enough for real-time video streaming would be neat.

Not sure if I'll be able to watch live, but let's see.

Just having wifi that will connect to my current router and then stay connected will be an improvement on my Pandora's wifi, which stopped even being able to connect to the router, and also the USB wifi adaptor I bought from ED with my Pandora stopped working with that router. My old EeePC (limited to 802.11g) will still connect to it and can max out my internet uplink though, as will a different but larger wifi usb stick that my father was chucking out.

Not really, I know that my Pandora Wifi (1. Edition) is crap, I don't know if the Pyra WiFi is better. I hope it is of course. And size should not matter since there are enough Smart Phones out with decent WiFi in much smaller cases than the Pyra has. The WiFi Antenna module of the Pyra also looks promising big, let's hope for the best.

He literally said it would be as good asa phone

Just in case I'm unable to pop up here to post my questions:

1) I know modern clamshell devices use a magnet to activate sleep mode when a device's lid is closed and of course that's the same for the Pyra, but I've been wondering what exactly does the magnet react to that causes the sleep mode? Google-sensei doesn't want to answer me.
2) Is there a way to fix a stuck Pandora nub? I don't know why, but last year my Pandora's left nub started getting stuck going up. Even when I restart it and keep the nubs in neutral position it still keeps going up. Ended up having to just change my mouse to the right nub.
3) I know the community project to have metal cases made for the Pandora sadly ended up dying, but what are the chances that we can someday get an official metal case for the Pyra? Painted/coated wine red of course :D
4) Actually, if we get dark red as a color choice for the Pyra, can we call it "Dragon's Blood Red"?
5) How heavy is the Pyra compared to the GPD Win 2?
6) Are you still actually alive or are we talking to your reanimated corpse whose drive to complete the Pyra has kept him going? If yes, will you please take a vacation or something? We don't want you dying of exhaustion and then reanimating.
7) Will having a Pyra by my side make me feel less "ronery"? Actually I already have my GPD Win 2 with me...will my Win 2 and Pyra end up fighting each other to the death for my time and affection? Or will they fall in love and leave me to die alone? Find out in the next exciting episode of- I should probably go to sleep already.

EDIT: Also, if you happen to see Asus at Gamescom with their ROG phone (I'm just assuming tehy'll appear there), could you perhaps ask their reps to let you take photos of their phone inside the Twinview handheld dock alongside the Pyra?

Last edited:
Which part of the overall project has been the most frustrating?
Which part of the project has been the most satisfying?
Any part go better than expected?

I think you've mentioned that you wouldn't "do it all again", sounds like you are pretty burnt out on making hardware. Do you think upgraded CPU boards will happen? How do you think that will go about? (will you be involved or not)

Besides retro gaming, how will you use the pyra? Cellphone replacement?

What new skills have you developed the most from the overall project? (what have you learned the most)

What are the most important upcoming challenges for software on the Pyra?
Can you reiterate how people can help with software when Pyra is released? (testing, develop, porting)

Have you tested bluetooth devices on the prototype units? Does debian do a good job with bluetooth devices?

What do you think about the form factor of the Vaio p? Basically, it's wide enough to fit standard size keys on it so you can type normally if you wanted. Do you find it easy to type longer texts on the pyra?

Hello there! More questions :
  • How big are the Pyra batches going to be ? Will you build all preorders in one shot or wait a bit in between to see if any change is necessary ?
  • [Crazy old man style, next to the bridge] What is your name? What is your quest? What is your favourite Pyra colour? What is the average speed of a swallow? [/Crazy old man style, next to the bridge]
  • What do you think of okonomiyaki and takoyaki? (Watch for the ninja behind you depending on your answer)
  • Will you (or do you) sell micro-USB 3.0 hubs that make use of the extended connector (what is it actually for? More power?) including an ethernet port ?

I wish you all the best anyway, see you online in a couple of hours :)

All the best for the Q&A. I'll watch the replay recording as it starts like 2am here.

Did you learn how to life without sleeping? ;)
I too want to learn how to life. xD

- What's your gaming history ? (which first platform at what age, your favorite games and genres over time, how you turned into a retrogamer, which platforms you have owned, PC specs evolution etc)
- Same with Linux, how did you get into it ?
- Have your relatives (wife, family...) and friends always been supportive of your projects (mainly Dragonbox Shop and Pandora/Pyra) ?
- What are your favorite food and snacks ?

What is the average speed of a swallow?
What do you mean? African or European swallow?

Back