Audio Apps

parodius_uk

Still Fresh
I'd love to use one of these little lovelies to make music on.
I've got a DS with nitro traker, which is ok for a laugh, but my real love is the mighty fruity loops, or FL studio as they're calling themselves these days.
I know that fruity isnt open source, but there are plenty of good, proffesional quality sequencers and plugins for linux.
Is it likely that we will see any of these ported over?
Im really hoping for a fully functional midi and audio sequencer, with soft synths and effects. Something that could produce finished tracks, opposed to a tracker or toy to pass away the hours (no offence to all you tracker fans out there).

A mp3 dj app would also be mighty fine...

+1 on all of the above. :) There has been some discussion on this (in the Non Gaming Apps thread), and we're not alone. I don't know if anyone has committed to anything yet, but I've got no doubt we'll see this sort of thing in time.

i too would like to know if there are any 'fl studio' style programs for linux, which could comfortably run on pandora.

i also use nitrotracker on my ds, and more recently been having a lot of fun with that korg ds 10 synthesizer on it as well. but as the OP said, neither can make 'finished' tracks and to be able to do something like that on pandora would be brilliant.

sindbad said:
Would LMMS be ok? There's also Audacity for general audio editing.

I've never actually used LMMS, but from the looks of it, it seems to be just the ticket!

Last edited by a moderator:
parodius_uk said:
sindbad said:
Would LMMS be ok? There's also Audacity for general audio editing.

I've never actually used LMMS, but from the looks of it, it seems to be just the ticket!

LMMS is just great, I'm using it for game-soundtracks and it always proofs very useful without bloating my computer in any way. In my windows days, I used cubase, now I use LMMS and I never saw it as a less useable program while it's moving forward in big big steps.

Kids learn how to use Ableton Live or Steinberg Cubase...

Also search the forums first, this is the third topic about music creation on Pandora.

And Google is your friend(and overlord), Rosegarden, LMMS, Ardour and a few smaller projects are out there. For DJing you have Mixxx and TerminatorX.

I've stated before that I'd like to see a Hydrogen port for the Pandora, and I still think that. Not sure how useful it would be for other people, but I'd get a bit of mileage out of it.

Edit: Hey, I noticed that LMMS has VST support. How come they can distribute binaries with VST support but the Ardour guys can't?

Ravnos said:
I've stated before that I'd like to see a Hydrogen port for the Pandora, and I still think that. Not sure how useful it would be for other people, but I'd get a bit of mileage out of it.

Edit: Hey, I noticed that LMMS has VST support. How come they can distribute binaries with VST support but the Ardour guys can't?
hi
the LMMS team did a re-implimentation of the VST headers, 'n stuff, as far as I recall.

As for Hydrogen, yeah, that would be cool. It's an excellent app.

I would love to see JACK so I could use Seq24 and a couple of synths, or The Unsequencer.

Come to think of it, the same guys who make Unsequencer have a DAW in the works which I think would be perfect for Pandora!

Also, there's wineasio; people have been using Reaper with Wineasio, and also EnergyXT 1.41.

XT2 is very good, and has a Linux native version. I would cheerfully kill to run my copy of XT2 on Pandora! :D

I know I'm going on, but I'm giddy with excitement at these prospects... Terminator X with touchscreen support on Pandora? seriously :D

LMMS looks neat. hope large vst-interfaces will work. perhaps the pandora could downscale a double (to screen) size desktop though in the end.

Esn said:
I'd be happy if a scorewriting program was ported

http://jazzplusplus.sourceforge.net/ <-scorewriting style if I'm not mistaken.
Esn said:
I haven't tried anything other than Finale (which is proprietary)

that takes me back :) I still have my boxed Muzik Time (right spelling?) (original name of app, which turned "Encore" and then "Finale").
scorewriting really is nice still compared to bar-drawing.. same workings anyway but somehow never liked bar-drawing as much.

but appart from all mouse-clicky progs I expect trackers to really be the most suitable on pan.
check out milkytracker and chibitracker as pointed out before.
Renoise is available for linux. don't know about pandora case with ARM and all though. since it's proprietary I've no clue.

about free third generation trackers reshaked seems really cool. will be open source and cross platform if I'm not mistaken. been waiting for it, lazily not helping with testing..

buzz tracker (which has always seemed way cool but always been sort of lacking) is up for a rebuild which gets hopes up.
old buzz can be wined (search for "linux" in the faq, there's a wine guide I think).
hopefully he'll consider cross-platform for the rebuild.
cool thing about buzz-like trackers is that the plug-in/synth approach is modular (pipe sound as you wish between nodes with wires etc).

there's a linux clone which looks flashy, will have to check it out myself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzztard

if the pictures of "machines" views are intimidating mind you it's just how you pipe synths and effects.

the actual notation is still tracker style.

I've always been waiting for the first handheld to do (dos)trackers and pan seems to be the first one what with the kb and touch screen.
my old opl3/sb tracker laptop doesn't do suspend so I'm still not truely portable (and gameboy is gay as hell :p).

nim said:
LMMS looks neat. hope large vst-interfaces will work.
As far as I know LMMS use the wine based dssi-vst. And because of wine, it works only with i386 CPU`s. Here is a link to the lmms wiki article. At Vestige.
But LMMS have several instruments build in. Look at the link at Instruments Plugins.

unsub said:
XT2 is very good, and has a Linux native version. I would cheerfully kill to run my copy of XT2 on Pandora! :D
I also use XT2, but I`m sure the autor won`t give out the sourcecode. Because he live only from the sales of the product.

Give me a good tracker over Fruity any day. Buzz was OK, but a little messy. I really like Renoise... something like that would make the Pandora more perfect than it already seems.

I'd just like an Audacity port... one of my PSP wielding friends comes along complaining about clicks and pops in their mp3... import it and BAM! Noise filter it out. I look forward to owning them occasionally with my USB host port that way.

AireTamStorm said:
I look forward to owning them occasionally with my USB host port that way.
Good job, don't forget to own them at internet browsing, media storage, media playback, and emulation the rest of the time. AND battery time, and OGG playback.

And remember you can put a memstick reader in the USB port and load exploits for them too. AND the instructions on how to use it.

This is all great info, and its interesting to hear about all the cool audio apps that are available on linix.
But what i really want to know is if any off this will see the light of day on the pandora?

unsub said:
Ravnos said:

hi
the LMMS team did a re-implimentation of the VST headers, 'n stuff, as far as I recall.

As for Hydrogen, yeah, that would be cool. It's an excellent app.

I would love to see JACK so I could use Seq24 and a couple of synths, or The Unsequencer.

Come to think of it, the same guys who make Unsequencer have a DAW in the works which I think would be perfect for Pandora!

Also, there's wineasio; people have been using Reaper with Wineasio, and also EnergyXT 1.41.

I know I'm going on, but I'm giddy with excitement at these prospects... Terminator X with touchscreen support on Pandora? seriously :D

Unsequencer? Never heard of it. Is it open source? Does it run under Linux?

People need to forget about running JACK on the Pandora though- won't happen. Even if it did get optimised for ARM it'd still be too slow to do anything useful. No SSE2, no (usable) JACK.

Back