Back From The Front: Gp2x Vs Psp

@PSP owners

Can the PSP switch to/from mains power on the fly? In other words, if batteries are getting low can you plug in the AC adapter and keep playing?

And furthermore, can you pull out AC adapter in middle of using PSP without the PSP switching off?

I wish the GP2X could do the above. I would use the power adapter more if it could. The other thing putting me off using the power adapter on GP2X is the annoying position it plugs in to. It touches your hand as you are playing. Is the PSP better in this regard also?

Yes to all of your questions. And unlike what DaveC said, you can fully switch the psp off, too. Just hold the switch for some seconds.

daibo said:
Yes to all of your questions. And unlike what DaveC said, you can fully switch the psp off, too. Just hold the switch for some seconds.

I think there is also a Psp plugin that allows you to switch of the Psp immediately as well as reboot using key combinations.

Last edited by a moderator:
daibo said:

It is not fully off even then. It is just not holding a game in memory. It still will go dead in a couple of weeks if not kept after by charging regularly.

DaveC said:
daibo said:

It is not fully off even then. It is just not holding a game in memory. It still will go dead in a couple of weeks if not kept after by charging regularly.

That's the price of having a persistent real time clock, something the GP2X doesn't.

DaveC said:
Many more emus go un-finished, or are even missing, on the GP2X than on the PSP.
This could well be down to the fact that some people in the GP2X community whine a lot if something isn't exactly as they'd like.

Orkie said:
DaveC said:
Many more emus go un-finished, or are even missing, on the GP2X than on the PSP.
This could well be down to the fact that some people in the GP2X community whine a lot if something isn't exactly as they'd like.
That would seem unlikely; the GP2X community is a good one, as some of our ex-pat PSP developers have noted...

However, I too have noticed that there are a number of GP2X devs that get bored with their pet projects and abandon the EMUs before they're really "done"... For instance, there are no less than three partially finished PC Engine EMUs out there, none of which are currently under development, and none of which can be considered "finished" programs - they're pretty much late Beta code, at best. There are a number of other examples as well; I don't pretend to know why this is, but it's undeniable...

hehe you don't know anything about whining if you have never been in the psp community.

Exophase said:
DaveC said:
daibo said:

That's the price of having a persistent real time clock, something the GP2X doesn't.

I really don't miss a clock. It is nice to come back and pick up the GP2X after 2 or 3 weeks and have it fully charged and not have to dash to the charger everytime. The PSP must have the most power hungry clock ever. The battery is completely dead in a few weeks even when "off", kind of not worth it to me. I have had a DS last over 1 year on a charge when off even with the clock.

DaveC said:
Exophase said:
DaveC said:
daibo said:

I really don't miss a clock. It is nice to come back and pick up the GP2X after 2 or 3 weeks and have it fully charged and not have to dash to the charger everytime. The PSP must have the most power hungry clock ever. The battery is completely dead in a few weeks even when "off", kind of not worth it to me. I have had a DS last over 1 year on a charge when off even with the clock.

You could, you know, keep it plugged in during those weeks when you don't use it.

I mean, you didn't use a DS for over a year? Who cares about having to charge something you never use?

DaveC said:
I really don't miss a clock.
Actually I think that the missing clock is an annoying exclusion. All modern handheld device of this type include something as simple as a clock! But anyway, I'm sure this has been thrashed out as well as any of the other negative aspects of the GP2X.

DaveC said:
It is nice to come back and pick up the GP2X after 2 or 3 weeks and have it fully charged and not have to dash to the charger everytime.

I never had such a pleasant experience with NiMh rechargeables. When left for more than a week, they are significantly depleted.

Alex. said:
DaveC said:
It is nice to come back and pick up the GP2X after 2 or 3 weeks and have it fully charged and not have to dash to the charger everytime.

I never had such a pleasant experience with NiMh rechargeables. When left for more than a week, they are significantly depleted.

The higher the capacity, the faster the drain. If you are an infrequent user of your GP2X (tsk!) then you might be better off with something around the 1700-2000mAh mark as they tend to keep their charge a lot longer.

I use these lower capacity batteries in my GP32 which I only use now and then. They always seem ready to go.

Exophase said:
You could, you know, keep it plugged in during those weeks when you don't use it.

I mean, you didn't use a DS for over a year? Who cares about having to charge something you never use?
I could but I don't like leaving things always plugged in charging if I don't have to. I just pull the battery out when I store it :p

slaanesh said:
Actually I think that the missing clock is an annoying exclusion. All modern handheld device of this type include something as simple as a clock!
Having a dead battery all of the time is more annoying to me. Doesn't seem to be a worthwhile trade off. I mean how many clocks do we need? I can't seem to look in any direction at any given time and not see a clock or watch not a big deal.

DaveC said:
Having a dead battery all of the time is more annoying to me. Doesn't seem to be a worthwhile trade off. I mean how many clocks do we need? I can't seem to look in any direction at any given time and not see a clock or watch not a big deal.
Yes true, but I like the clock only to keep track of date and times of files on the GP2X itself. So whenever it writes something out to the filesystem the date stamp would be correct.

A good clock shouldn't be drawing much power as the Nintendo DS has a clock and will stay on forever.

I can just imagine in 10,000 years time when archaeologists find a Nintendo DS from a dig site and turn it on because the battery still works only to have Dr. Kawashima moan at them because they haven't done their Brain Training in the last millennia. :)

slaanesh said:
A good clock shouldn't be drawing much power as the Nintendo DS has a clock and will stay on forever.

I can just imagine in 10,000 years time when archaeologists find a Nintendo DS from a dig site and turn it on because the battery still works only to have Dr. Kawashima moan at them because they haven't done their Brain Training in the last millennia. :)
I wonder why the PSP clock is so power hungry? It does seem the DS battery lasts forever. As I stated I didn't turn on for litteraly a year (Ok so I don't play the DS much :p ) , when I did the battery was pretty full. In contrast the PSP battery was as dead as a doorknob after 2-3 weeks of non-use. Strange.

Dave are you holding the psp power button a while before it cuts off, or are you just turning it off quick and having it go into power save mode? If I turn off my psp my battery will still have pretty much a full charge after 3 weeks of no play. I haven't tested it longer because I can't go without playing my psp for that long.

DaveC said:
I could but I don't like leaving things always plugged in charging if I don't have to. I just pull the battery out when I store it :p
me too, but they'll still lose charge on their own over time unfortunately.

i do think that a real time clock would be good for gba emulation since some games use it. you can use it to seed pseudorandom numbers, the filesystem can use it to stamp files, homebrew could use it in interesting ways, you could have a battery meter that told you how long you have left, etc. it's generally just good to have, i think.

Back