Gp2x Vs Psp Emulation As Of Now...

GunPei2X posted on Feb 17 2007 at 08:47 PM said:
The latest CPS2 and Neo Geo emus are just as good on GP2X & PSP, it only comes down to what screen and controls you prefer (for both factors, I choose GP2X).
So, there is no speed difference between the PSP and GP2X Neo-Geo and CPS emulators? I was under the impression that the PSP runs them faster than the GP2X; even DaveC admitted it:

DaveC posted on Feb 4 2007 at 09:13 PM said:
About all the PSP NeoGeo has on the GP2X is speed right now.

With a combination of the new DrPocketSNES and latest turbo-charged SquidgeSNES, SNES is now better on GP2X, and still improving weekly.

Could you elaborate? "Better" is so subjective in this debate since people take into consideration a multitude of factors. Last I heard, SNES was full speed with sound on the PSP. I imagine that SNES emulation on the GP2X must then also be full speed with sound? And compatibility is at least the same, if not better, with the GP2X compared to the PSP? Also, you are making your claims based on just 1 emulator that is currently available to the public, correct ("PocketSNES," which combines SquidgeSNES and the PocketSNES renderer)?

GBA is currently no contest, but it seems within a few weeks it will be equally good on GP2X with zodttd's dynarec and Exophase's assistance.
The topic is about the current status of the PSP and GP2X, and not in coming in the future. So, the answer would be "Yes," would it not (I hate being anal like this, but I feel the need to considering I'm on GP2X turf, just to bring out less biased answers)? Anyway, it'd be nice if GBA did get full speed with sound "within a few weeks." I don't keep up much with the GP2X community, so could you point me to where it was mentioned that GBA on the GP2X will be equally good as on the PSP (I'm assuming one of the dev's of the GBA emulator said this?)?

I apologize for scrutinizing this much, but I do it for the sake of others that want to find out the truth about both machines' capabilities. I realize I may have an asinine tone here, but please note that I don't intend to offend you or anyone with it.

Destructo2000 - Was he using the latest versions of the emulators?

Last edited by a moderator:
Azure posted on Feb 18 2007 at 04:26 AM said:
So, there is no speed difference between the PSP and GP2X Neo-Geo and CPS emulators? I was under the impression that the PSP runs them faster than the GP2X; even DaveC admitted it:

DaveC doesn't like overclocking at all, so his assumptions are often based on running at 200mhz. However, the fair comparison is the PSP clocked to 333mhz (instead of the standard 222mhz) vs the GP2X clocked to at least 240mhz (which all units can reach). At that level, the speed is basically the same (as long as your SD card is fast enough for streaming).

Could you elaborate? "Better" is so subjective in this debate since people take into consideration a multitude of factors. Last I heard, SNES was full speed with sound on the PSP.

That's what I heard too, but it seems that is only with an amount of frameskipping. I tried SNESTYL, which is supposed to be the best, and was not impressed--although at the time it was better than the GP2X's.

I imagine that SNES emulation on the GP2X must then also be full speed with sound? And compatibility is at least the same, if not better, with the GP2X compared to the PSP? Also, you are making your claims based on just 1 emulator that is currently available to the public, correct ("PocketSNES," which combines SquidgeSNES and the PocketSNES renderer)?

No--PS and SS each have their strengths. In general, PocketSNES on its own is better, however for games that don't need transparencies or rasters (the majority of them), the new SquidgeSNES is blindingly fast.

I can't speak for compatibility because I haven't tried out enough roms on the PSP, but I know that compatibility is very high on GP2X. Games with special chips (apart from DSP) are still a problem though.

I don't keep up much with the GP2X community, so could you point me to where it was mentioned that GBA on the GP2X will be equally good as on the PSP (I'm assuming one of the dev's of the GBA emulator said this?)?

Yes, both Exophase (author of the PSP's best GBA emulator) and zodttd (who is porting it to GP2X) has said this multiple times. The most recent thread is here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=35367

I apologize for scrutinizing this much, but I do it for the sake of others that want to find out the truth about both machines' capabilities. I realize I may have an asinine tone here, but please note that I don't intend to offend you or anyone with it.

No problem, you're just trying to make a tough decision. Are there other emulators that you're particularly worried about? For instance, MAME is a great deal better on GP2X (as are Amiga, Atari ST, C64, etc).

Hey, the good news is -- whatever decision you make, you'll have a lot of fun :)

To all ppl blaming PSP's Snes9TYL emu. It has 2 versions. One being standart for people with newer fw, and second one being called "ME version" it runs in 1.5 fw kernel (also on DA 3xx OE unofficial fw). The secons one is way better and faster because it has sound routines handled by PSP's Media Engine.
Runs better than gp2x snes emu. Standard version (not ME) is sub-par with gp2x current snes emu status.

When it comes to Genesis/SMD i do not think that PSP could ever reach the level gp2x has already - with absolutely brilliant dual-core Picodrive. Yes,psp would play smd games but never with quality and speed that picodrive could give on gp2x.

About SD card streaming speed in gp2x. Someone before pointed on these forums that gp2x has not very fast SD controller with internal transfers about 800-900 kb / sec. In that case buying hyper fast SD card WONT speed up your neo geo emulation, guys...

As I stated before - IMHO:
gp2x - Amiga / Atari XL / Lynx / SMD / SMS / GG / Atari ST / C64 / MAME
psp - NES / SNES / GBA / CPS1 / CPS2 / NEO GEO / PSX

messiah posted on Feb 18 2007 at 09:49 AM said:
About SD card streaming speed in gp2x. Someone before pointed on these forums that gp2x has not very fast SD controller with internal transfers about 800-900 kb / sec. In that case buying hyper fast SD card WONT speed up your neo geo emulation, guys...
You know, I was playing with the differences between cards just yesterday in gngeo... I bought a new 2GB card, and when I transfered my files from the 1GB to it to test it out, I thought Metal Slug 3 seemed to play choppier, less smoothly... Since I had the exact same files on both cards, I just timed the game start process from selection of the game in the gngeo menu screen to when the game screen actually starts, and I discovered the new card is 25% slower to start the game than my 1GB card... That didn't seem like that much to me, so I kept swapping cards and playing through level one, and after doing that three or four times I could clearly see that the SD card I was using makes a marked and significant difference to how smoothly the game runs... I don't know if this is because my new el-cheapo 2GB SD card is just unusually slow, but I've now dedicated my 1GB card just to NeoGeo emulation and roms, because every game I get running on gngeo from that card plays fine... Neither of my cards is "hyper fast" - they're not 150X cards or anything, but my experience would seem to prove that the card can make a difference.

I don't think that speed makes such a difference (after all, even with 500ko/s, you could tranfer a big rom (66mo) in 2mn... but what about access time?

For a game that have to read 10 sprites and 5 sound effetcs in 1s, I think it's better to read 100ko/s with 0,2ms delay, rather than a 10mo/s reading that have a 50ms delay...

ok - so it is.
sd cards gives you more MB's per price. They are most cost efficient. And can be fast, too - but that part depends on internal sd controller and internal device transfer.

ms pro duo - i own gp2x and when bought psp I noticed that transfer of files in very very fast (compared to gp2x). Ah - even on mine fake ms pro duo 4gb card roms on neo geo and cps2 loads AT LEAST 3 times quicker than on gp2x

jimid2 posted on Feb 18 2007 at 01:47 PM said:
messiah posted on Feb 18 2007 at 09:49 AM said:

You know, I was playing with the differences between cards just yesterday in gngeo... I bought a new 2GB card, and when I transfered my files from the 1GB to it to test it out, I thought Metal Slug 3 seemed to play choppier, less smoothly... Since I had the exact same files on both cards, I just timed the game start process from selection of the game in the gngeo menu screen to when the game screen actually starts, and I discovered the new card is 25% slower to start the game than my 1GB card...

That would indeed call for sd-benchmarks so we can find out which cards are best... as i'm about to buy a new SD card too i'm looking forward to such information.

Such a tool should elaborate:

* sd card speed interally by the gp2x read and write access
* sd card speed transfered by a usb2 to pc (this is dependand on the chipset of the multi card reader too - needs more thought - maybe a reference reader?)
* energy drain of the sd card (difficult to obtain without plugging a power gauge on the dc-in)

messiah posted on Feb 18 2007 at 03:32 PM said:
ok - so it is.
sd cards gives you more MB's per price. They are most cost efficient. And can be fast, too - but that part depends on internal sd controller and internal device transfer.

ms pro duo - i own gp2x and when bought psp I noticed that transfer of files in very very fast (compared to gp2x). Ah - even on mine fake ms pro duo 4gb card roms on neo geo and cps2 loads AT LEAST 3 times quicker than on gp2x

Its a well known secret that the built-in usb access is pretty slow if it comes to transfer data. I had the problem too that the transfer broke if i tried to transfer larger files.
Usage of a multi card reader is the way to go to fill the SD cards.
Regarding speed of filling those - mine fills with ~2.2mb/s. I heard that 6mb/s for better ones (which doesnt mean they need to be expensive) while there have been cards anounced (or actually in sale) which peak in ~20mb/s.

Regarding price thats where it starts to get ridicolous... thats where it starts to hurt but its nothing unexpected considering the MSD is not something like a industry standard but a sony homebrewn development. It its however produced by major memory maker companys but in lower quantities -> larger price naturally.

Back