Back From The Front: Gp2x Vs Psp

Blah said:
Exophase said:
- Screen has noticeable interlacing and bad viewing angles (especially north/south)
Also the MK2 screen is really good, no interlacing here. I guess Exophase has an older model.

Yeah, I can also attest to that, and I have a MK2 as well. I think it's due to bad grounding, or something... But, even my DS and GBA suffer from interlace-ey death, especially my original GBA.

Last edited by a moderator:
rememberthe8bit said:
Blah said:
Exophase said:
- Screen has noticeable interlacing and bad viewing angles (especially north/south)
Also the MK2 screen is really good, no interlacing here. I guess Exophase has an older model.

Yeah, I can also attest to that, and I have a MK2 as well. I think it's due to bad grounding, or something... But, even my DS and GBA suffer from interlace-ey death, especially my original GBA.

I think that was only in first editions, caused by an uncorrect resistor?

Miika said:
rememberthe8bit said:
Blah said:
Exophase said:

Well, I have had 3 MK1's and a MK2, the MK1 screens are much higher quality (if they aren't doing the interlacing thing), but a MK2 model is better in general.

I wish that they would do a MK3 and fix everything, and put in the D-Pad and USB Host.

DaveC said:
slaanesh said:
A good clock shouldn't be drawing much power as the Nintendo DS has a clock and will stay on forever.

I wonder why the PSP clock is so power hungry?
There has to be something more to the PSP's power drain than just the clock. Hell, I have 10 year old computers that still keep proper time using the original batteries soldered to their motherboards.

Draken said:
All this talk of the gp2x follow-up. Any news on that beyond rumors?

I wouldn't hold my breath. Look how long it took GPH to turn the break out box into an actual commercial product.

Frankly, I'm not even interested in getting another handheld unless it's something significantly more powerful... like, capable of handling PSX, N64, and high-end Dosbox at default clock speed. The GP2X has it's imperfections, but I wouldn't blow another $200 on a "bugfix" system, especially knowing that a new version would likely have it's own idiosyncracies that everyone would complain about.

Miika said:
rememberthe8bit said:

Is there any actual research to back this up? If this was all that was wrong, I would think there would be an easy mod to fix it.

Frankly, I never noticed the interlacing on my Mk1 so much. Sometimes it's helpful to have relatively poor eyesight :p

'Exophase' date='Mar 27 2007 said:
PSP pros:
+ Somewhat shoddy analog nub (but IMO better than nothing, try using a grip to increase accessability)

I find the placement of the analog nub to be far more annoying than the nub itself. It just never seems comfortable to hold the system while using it, so I use the D-pad whenever possible. I also have problems holding the DS due to the placement of the triggers... my hands always hurt after any decent amount of time (it's even worse for games with bizzaro control schemes like Mario Hoops where you have to use the D-pad, left trigger and stylus all at once, sheesh!).

Exophase said:
GP2X pros:
+ Has Linux, bringing with it all the benefits of a nice preemptively multitasking OS
In some ways, I think Linux has actually been a con for the GP2X. I know quite a few people who consider themselves classic gamers, and I always recommend the GP2X to them, but they always seem to assume that it's going to be complicated to use simply because Linux has a bad reputation for being hard to use. Even though this obviously isn't the case (All you do is dump your files on the card and you're done... in fact, in this respect I think it's even easier to use than the PSP and GP32!), it's not easy trying to convince them of that. I'm curious how things might be different if GPH never mentioned Linux in the first place.... developers would have found out quickly enough, but regular users would just be blissfully ignorant about what's happening under the hood.

--Zero

Back