Backtrack

trix said:
You worked on EQEmu!? Which one? AFAIK There was HackersQuest, Agx Emu (which got renamed EQEmu when tuxracer and I left the project due to drama, and is the one that's popular today), and the failed Ruby rewrite of ethernalquest.

Perhaps you remember me, I was known on that community as Icon. I also was admin on forever-hacking.net for awhile. Were you known as WizardStan?
Danged if I recall. Too long for me to remember too many details, back in 2000, shortly after I couldn't afford to keep paying for a real subscription. I was Harbinger2000 then.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
trix said:
You worked on EQEmu!? Which one? AFAIK There was HackersQuest, Agx Emu (which got renamed EQEmu when tuxracer and I left the project due to drama, and is the one that's popular today), and the failed Ruby rewrite of ethernalquest.

Perhaps you remember me, I was known on that community as Icon. I also was admin on forever-hacking.net for awhile. Were you known as WizardStan?
Danged if I recall. Too long for me to remember too many details, back in 2000, shortly after I couldn't afford to keep paying for a real subscription. I was Harbinger2000 then.

That name sounds a little familiar. I don't remember much that far back either. I enjoy "trance music" too much to have that good of a memory.

In-jokes are awesome, by the way.

- trix

Gruso said:
I heard you can sniff packets from Japanese vending machines.

my brother is in japan right now and said he would send me some "sniffed packets" from a vending machine

I think "Sniffed Packets" you would get is the apple pie snacks from the vending machines there. That, or some used panties.

ample said:
Gruso said:
I heard you can sniff packets from Japanese vending machines.

my brother is in japan right now and said he would send me some "sniffed packets" from a vending machine
I saw a documentary, those packets are usually just like tobasco sauce and other things (it's not like the usual customer would know the difference)... I mean, given the millions of packets available to your sniffer, most are constructed, not actual packets.

And... eewww.

Game_over said:
That, or some used panties.

thanks for killing the joke. fitting name, Game_over

ample said:
Game_over said:
That, or some used panties.

thanks for killing the joke. fitting name, Game_over
Oh snap, is dat some... jesticide?
yes, I made that word up myself, yes you can use as long as you put my name on it somewhere

El Jefe said:
Oh snap, is dat some... jesticide?
yes, I made that word up myself, yes you can use as long as you put my name on it somewhere
um, el jefeicide?

Just to out my opinion: people should be able to seek information where they can find it without being labeled. Benefit of the doubt. I really don't want a situation where some knowledge can only be obtained through Officially Official Officials handing you the Official truth for Official use. Information is not evil, and it should not be imprisoned. People can be evil, and thus may require imprisonment. Condemning one innocent is worse than letting a hundred guilty walk. I'm against holding out on any information, unless it can only be used for illegal purposes. Call me an idealist, but that's me. I use packet sniffers for software development and to get information on my LAN. I acquired the information required for this as a kid before I could partake on any Official courses. Why shouldn't have I been able or allowed to learn about these things?Because someone might do bad stuff with it? Sacrifice freedom for safety, deserve neither.

EDIT: Continued a little

B-ZaR said:
Condemning one innocent is worse than letting a hundred guilty walk.
Refusing to answer a question isn't condemning anyone to anything, usually (I'm sure you could find examples, but not this specific case).

B-ZaR said:
Sacrifice freedom for safety, deserve neither.
So you have the right to ask, and we have the right to question your motives and mock you when you ask us to just trust you because you swear you have good intentions or only want to learn.

edit: typo

In the end it's moot anyway as a simple google search will yield in-depth tutorials to anything one wishes to know.

Back