Battery Grips/complaint

geniv

... I thought I post this somewhere a little bit ago but somehow it seems to have "dissappeared"
I do not have a gp2x yet but plan on getting one around mid january when the next firmware update is supposely out.

but from what I read on the forums concern battery.
- Alkaline is not that good for it
- 2500 mah rechargable nihm batteries are best.

here's where my complaint comes in.. on the official website it just states:
========= (on main page)
Continuous Playback time:
Video ~6 hours
Audio ~10 hours
Power Supply: 2AA

========= ( on Main Feature page)
2AA Batteries
you can watch 320*240(30frame) of video file for approximately 8 hours and listen to mp3 file for approximately 14 hours (LCD off ) continuously with 2AA batteries.
==================

from reading the post here nobody gets over say 5 hours of useage out of alkaline batteries. Ok ok so alot of company and devices claims longer battery life than it really is. this is is not the main thing I'm mad at.

not just shorter battery life than gp2x claims but from reading post here people that uses lower quality rechargable or alkaline reports problem of: crashing, screen anomalies, SD card reading problems etc..

the same solution to the problem seems to be get Asman 2500mah rechargable nimh batteries.

now since the site never say anything about the battery besides 2 AA types. shouldn't it be fair to say that people assume you can just use off the shelf AA alkaline batteries like engergizer or duracell? I'm sure that the lower quality battery will not last as long but shouldn't it RUN PROBLEM FREE?

now I would have to put in an extra $20-$25 dollars for a set of 2500mah rechargable and charger. (since the gp2x don't come with a power adaptor). not just to have the unit run longer but have it run WITHOUT the battery related glitches that people reported? my mp3 player runs for 15 hours on a duracell AA and only 8 hours on a cheap crap brand battery but it runs problem free for the duration of the 8 hours..

so I figure we would have to realistically add $20 to the total price of the gp2x because of the battery. I personally think it's stupid as I can get butt loads of alkaline AA batteries from work free.

Alkaline batteries DO work, but their voltage lowers too quickly and drops below what the GP2X requires, so it crashes.

nickspoon posted on Dec 24 2005 at 04:13 PM said:
Alkaline batteries DO work, but their voltage lowers too quickly and drops below what the GP2X requires, so it crashes.

how long do alkaline runs on the unit?
for anyone that uses them please respond, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 24 2005 at 04:21 PM said:
I think I got maybe 1.5 hours. Maybe 2?

dude that's PITIFUL!!! on a fresh set?!

I've heard of people who get a fresh set of alkelines to last ~45 minutes (they weren't a name brand or anything, I think it may have even been the included batteries if memory serves me right).

the GP2X is a high drain device, especially before the CPU scaling isnt fixed. Regular batteries just dont cut it. I'd like to know how one-time use photo batteries would last, however (photo batteries keep their voltage longer than regular batteries, and are thus good in high-drain devices).

I agree, though, there really should be something about that on their website (as well as the distributor's websites), as well as an update on battery life estimates.

Yeah, Just get rechargeables.

And I adblocked your sig ... ;)

I think you have better issues to complain. You can not expect any performance from batteries other than rechargables. This device is not officially released so most of the specs may change. Plus, I think using normal batteries instead of custom batteries (like PSP) is a wise decision for both GP and customer. Because it would be far cheaper to replace Rechargables than buy a new custom battery pack.

TelcoLou posted on Dec 24 2005 at 09:53 PM said:
Yeah, Just get rechargeables.

And I adblocked your sig ... ;)

Yup, His sig is damn annoying.

We should have some rules regarding sigs - restrict the width and height, and no animations.

I use 2000 mah IC3 rechargeables. They work just fine, I don't really see what the call is for those beefy batteries is unless it's just to use on a long trip -- and in that case, I would just carry a bunch of extra alkalines. When I'm at home, since the batteries only take 15 mins to charge, I just charge them up when they run out and put them back in after the 15-min recharge cycle. I never really measured the playing time, but it's enough to get completely absorbed in "Landstalker" on DRMDx and not notice that time is just slipping away from you.......

Same here, I picked up 2000 mAH IC3 rechargeables last night and the difference is noticably better. It's not the rating on the battery that matters so much as the fact that the voltage output is constant with these types. The higher the rating, the slower the drain on the battery I suppose, but I got a solid 3.5 hours use out of the 2000 mAH and they do recharge in 15 minutes, so at least I don't have to buy a ton of batteries.

What I have found with the alkaline batteries is that even though they are "dead" to the GP2X, you can still stick 'em in remote controls and they work just fine.

I'm still on the original batteries it came with (a few weeks ago). But then, it's only been used on batteries for about five minutes so far. It's been on a power adaptor the rest of the time.

now I would have to put in an extra $20-$25 dollars for a set of 2500mah rechargable and charger.

Even if the specs from GPH would be true for normal batteries you would need to pay much more using normal batteries after some days...

my post froze and then didn't post, wierd.

I would like to take a little virtual trip to the store, lets call it "walmart"

I am looking at PSP batteries. . . hmmm. . .

$42 for a PSP battery, and $25 for the charger.

I am looking in a place I call "Sam's club".

$25 for 4 sets of batteries (8 AA) and a charger included?

I see a clear winner here, and it aint the PSP.

nubie posted on Dec 24 2005 at 07:01 PM said:
my post froze and then didn't post, wierd.

I would like to take a little virtual trip to the store, lets call it "walmart"

I am looking at PSP batteries. . . hmmm. . .

$42 for a PSP battery, and $25 for the charger.

I am looking in a place I call "Sam's club".

$25 for 4 sets of batteries (8 AA) and a charger included?

I see a clear winner here, and it aint the PSP.

Nicely said.. sony entertainment is a money hog

I'm having huge issues with my GP2X under battery power. The original batteries lasted me for a few hours, but now I can't even get the damn thing to boot under battery power. It gets as far as the "Loading" page and then the screen goes all whacked out - does this sound like batteries to you guys?

I'll go out and get some decent batteries later to see if this fixes it...

Back