Best Handheld For 16Bit Emulation Is?

bustaballs

I'm wanting to grab a handheld that does SNES, Genesis/Megadrive, Turbogfx16, NeoGeo, and 8 bit systems as close to perfect as possible with minimal screen tearing and ghosting. What's the status on emulation for the Wiz, PSP, and Dingoo at the moment?

bustaballs said:
I'm wanting to grab a handheld that does SNES, Genesis/Megadrive, Turbogfx16, NeoGeo, and 8 bit systems as close to perfect as possible with minimal screen tearing and ghosting. What's the status on emulation for the Wiz, PSP, and Dingoo at the moment?
I can only comment on the PSP at the moment, and it's SNES emulator still has issues with many games, especially the ones with lots of Mode7 in them. Speed is often slow, unless you enable frameskip. Some have speedhacks preconfigured and they often run very well. Ghosting is a major problem on my japanese PSP-1000 though.

Pandora will probably be the best bet for your all round emulation needs, after my quick playtest i found it's controls to be far superior to those on the PSP and Wiz for retro gaming, plus speed should be much more consistent considering the extra power it has at it's disposal.

Last edited by a moderator:
x68000 said:
I can only comment on the PSP at the moment, and it's SNES emulator still has issues with many games, especially the ones with lots of Mode7 in them. Speed is often slow, unless you enable frameskip. Some have speedhacks preconfigured and they often run very well. Ghosting is a major problem on my japanese PSP-1000 though.
I have to agree here. Mostly. The SNES emulators lack from development, i figure, and sadly, some features are still lacking. Games not using those features mostly run fairly well without speedhack, and with hacks you really cant put it down. I havent noticed much ghosting, but on the other hand i pretty much play Super Metroid, Supermario World, and such. Not the fastest moving games so to speak.

B!

The last time I tried SNES on the Pandora it was absolutely full speed on everything 60fps solid.

I think it is the only hand held which can do that, although I don't think FX games will run.

craigix said:
The last time I tried SNES on the Pandora it was absolutely full speed on everything 60fps solid.

I think it is the only hand held which can do that, although I don't think FX games will run.
It will be the only handheld that can do it, SNES/SFC is woeful on every handheld platform that i know of (if you are looking for high speed and high compatibility)

As for Super FX games and probably DSP 1&2 as well, it won't be a major loss if these are never emulated since there was only a handful of games released which utilised these extra chips.

My PSP-2000 has served me well over the years for 16 bit emulation, especially notaz's PicoDrive. Almost flawless emulation, and Sega/Mega CD support :D Many of the plain old 2D games with no fancy chips for the latest SNES emulator run full speed too. I've got a 1000 and 2000 PSP, and the difference in screen quality is noticeably better for the 2000. (take note that they change the screens even in the same series PSP models, the one I have is a launch one, so the quality may be better or worse with later made 2000's.

I was hoping I would be able to play every game, full speed including the FX chip ones for the SNES. Or else, it's not much of a replacement for my PSP in that department :( Can we get some test results? Sounds like it's not even been tried out.

I think the Palm T|X is able to do it, though I could be wrong... I have a T|5 (weaker model) and SNES/GEN/TG-16 won't run, but a T|X would probably be capable of it. You might want to ask Skeezix, he developed the emulator LJP.

MDave said:
My PSP-2000 has served me well over the years for 16 bit emulation, especially notaz's PicoDrive. Almost flawless emulation, and Sega/Mega CD support :D Many of the plain old 2D games with no fancy chips for the latest SNES emulator run full speed too. I've got a 1000 and 2000 PSP, and the difference in screen quality is noticeably better for the 2000. (take note that they change the screens even in the same series PSP models, the one I have is a launch one, so the quality may be better or worse with later made 2000's.

I was hoping I would be able to play every game, full speed including the FX chip ones for the SNES. Or else, it's not much of a replacement for my PSP in that department :( Can we get some test results? Sounds like it's not even been tried out.
As Craig says, emulation of the SNES should be very good on Pandora no frameskipping or hacks should be needed), would be great to see the Super FX games running too, but there is plenty time for devs to get stuck into that task later on.

Well, I'm basically looking for something with gaming controls to use while I wait for the 2nd batch of Pandoras to be released. That'll probably be a year or so down the road by my own estimates and I'm hoping to have something sooner than that. I remember the GP2X F-200 running Chrono Trigger at perfect speed when I overclocked it so I was hoping that the Wiz would be able to run most Megadrive/Genesis and SNES games without the need for overclocking.

Edit: I think I might check out PSP 2000 or 3000 models.

Can anyone comment on comparative SNES performance between Wiz & Dingoo? Are they similar?

Dingoo is a good choice for an 'in-between' system being so cheap (just make sure you don't get a knockoff 2gb version), it runs everything from Megadrive down very well. SNES is pretty good but a bit slow on intensive games (Axelay, etc), and DSP games barely run.

Actually, if the Dingoo does a good job with just Genesis, Gameboy/Color, and NES game, I might just go with that while I wait for the Pandora.

bustaballs said:
Actually, if the Dingoo does a good job with just Genesis, Gameboy/Color, and NES game, I might just go with that while I wait for the Pandora.
Picodrive for Dingux works quite well, and the games look really good on it. For some games though you'll have to overclock it to get them to run smoothly (a trivial matter). Gameboy/Color however is AMAZING on the dingoo. I replayed LoZ: Oracle of Seasons & Warioland II all the way through & it was a great experience, truly how they where meant to be played. The color palettes of the GBC translate so well to the Dingoo's screen. I can't really comment on NES, haven't played much more than the first level of Blaster Master on it, which was good.

The hardware itself is really nice too, the form factor is spot-on, the screen is crisp & bright, and the battery life is ridiculous. I found myself using it a lot as a media player as well, mp3's sound better than they did on the iphone (bleh), and I watched 3 seasons of ATHF & all four seasons of Home Movies on it (changing between the screen & tv-out, I actually prefer its screen tho).

Personally, I get a lot of use out of my Dingoo, and at it's price point it was a steal. I got it to tide me over till the pandora came out & it was a decision I definitely don't regret, in fact I can still see myself using it once the pandora comes out (for some of the more casual games).

Currently I think the Wiz is the best there is for 16 & 8 -Bit. Picodrive is perfect and snes runs well with a bit of overclock (so I'm told, I'm more of an arcade gamer). So I'd say go with the Wiz, it's a bit more expensive then the dingoo, but for the price you get the OLED screen which means no ghosting and deep blacks and vivid colours. (scummvm was the killer app over dingoo, but you're not asking about that) If nothing else, you'll get a chance to mess with OLED's and see what the fuzz is all about.

Anyone know what the difference between Wiz breakdowns and Dingoo are? I know that the OLED screen seems to be very prone not just to dead pixels but the dreaded "pixel plague" which presents a pretty predictable destruction of the OLEDs over time. I've seen a lot of people complaining about the longevity of the Wiz on these boards, but not the Dingoo.

So the Wiz uses better quality components (as in, they make a better impression on the user) but they are very prone to failing in short order. I'd probably use that as my guide to which handheld I'd purchase.

D.

I have decided to ditch my handhelds and got a gaming laptop, money well spent :).

GP32 rocks for Genesis. It's decent for Atari Lynx too, at least for tile-based games like Chips Challenge, if you overclock. It isn't good for SNES, but a majority of the games are fairly playable with frame skip.

bustaballs said:
GP32 can run genesis games? Seriously?

It sure can. :D , Pretty good too.

Oh, Please ignore my rather crappy playing style, I do usually play better than that.

Well mostly. :rolleyes:

Trooper

[youtube]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Bxe1MsEoCrE[/youtube]

This is my own Sonic video, with Sonic 1. I went a little faster. :p

Edit: Forgot to mention, this is on an FLU that I have self-repaired, which is why the colors are a little washed out. Sorry about the lack of camera focus as well.

Back