Best NES Games

Only two to add here so far.

Little Samson

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2PlbExANZM0?feature=oembed
This game is a fantastic action platformer with tons of charm and challenge. A absolute must play, and almost no one has ever heard of it. I guess that's why it still goes for 150$ on ebay.

The Guardian Legend

Most people assume this is just a sub-par shooter at first glance, but if you manage to power through the first shooter stage you'll find it's a complex and huge Zelda-like top-down adventure game where the dungeons are fast and sometimes very tough vertical shooters. It also happens to have one of my favorite video game soundtracks. This is the game I play and beat first on any new handheld to see how good the D-Pad is (Yep even the Pandora).

The Japanese version of Little Samson, Seirei Densetsu Lickle, is considerably cheaper - I got my copy for about £20. ;) The one and only difference is the title screen. Brilliant suggestion, by the way - it is indeed a great game.

The Guardian Legend
Most people assume this is just a sub-par shooter at first glance, but if you manage to power through the first shooter stage you'll find it's a complex and huge Zelda-like top-down adventure game where the dungeons are fast and sometimes very tough vertical shooters. It also happens to have one of my favorite video game soundtracks. This is the game I play and beat first on any new handheld to see how good the D-Pad is (Yep even the Pandora).

To me the shooter sections are by far the reason to play the game, nothing sub-par about it. I like playing through the shooter-stage only arcade mode (password TGL)

To me the shooter sections are by far the reason to play the game, nothing sub-par about it. I like playing through the shooter-stage only arcade mode (password TGL)
It's that first stage that tends to put people off for some reason, probably the lack of variety.

It's that first stage that tends to put people off for some reason, probably the lack of variety.

Fair enough, but probably the majority of people who wouldn't put it down during that level will keep playing just to play as a girl who turns into a ship B)

Fire Emblem And Fire Emblem Gaiden - If you can get yourself the patched japanese rom (or even if you can't, honestly.) These are the first two games in a long-running series of strategy games from japan. the only games in the series have recently been released starting with the GBA fire emblem, then a gamecube, and then a wii title. Why it was thought we couldn't handle it on the NES, who knows. It's a great game, very long, and very challenging. It was really different from other games in that if you lost a character in battle, that character was gone FOR THE REST OF THE GAME. No phoenix downs here, just death as it exists in reality. To be honest, I don't think the games have changed much in terms of gameplay mechanics today, but this is really where it all started - And it's aged remarkably well.

Base Wars - This is the kind of game that you'll like if you're a sports fan AND an RPG fan. It's a sports RPG. You go through a tournament mode with a futuristic team of baseball-playing cyborg Robots. But wait, it gets better. Whenever a player is tagged by the ball at a base, the out can be challenged in a cybernetic FIGHT TO THE DEATH! That's right, you take the money you've earned from winning games, put it towards purchasing weapons and upgrades for your cybernetic team of deathbots, and then proceed to destroy the opposing team with brute force. It makes you really want to end up with an out just so you can get into a fight with lazers and fists that fly off and punch the opponent in the face. If you haven't played this game - Go play it, NOW.

Final Fantasy 3 - This is another japanese import (or patched rom) that is a must play. The game was actually the first to introduce a dynamic combat job system to the series. Your little "onion kids" (....really, square?) Are essentially squires, but can change to different jobs that level up in different ways and use different weapons and styles. You start out at the beginning with 4 characters that are essentially identical, and the game is very heavily combat-based if you're into that sort of thing. The plot...... Well, I didn't pay attention to it. At some point though, you do shrink down to mini-size and go to a town full of what are essentially microscopic people. The game also allows you to dual-wield pretty much anything, including shields! BEWARE MY DUAL SHIELDS! The game was recently re-released and re-imagined on the nintendo DS, but this one just has more nostalgia and I honestly think the music sounds better in it's NES chiptune form.

Duck Tales - This is a great game made by capcom. that's all I can say about it aside from the fact that the gameboy release is nearly identical, if not exactly the same.

Ikari Warriors - Top-down 8-directional arcade shooter with grenades, tanks, and it's own version of the konami code. I played hours of this game with the NES arcade stick, and it was amazing. It's definitely more fun with two players. The sequels in my book aren't as good, but they're essentially just more of the same gameplay that's found here.

Mike Tyson's punchout - Mike Tyson is waiting for your challenge! This game is great. You fight increasingly more difficult opponents that all have their unique attack patterns and weaknesses to memorize. and then there's mike tyson, who is more or less impossible to beat - You're going to need the password just to get to him.

Gauntlet - This one is actually an unlicensed, unsanctioned game that wasn't approved by nintendo. Tengen released this one. The game consists of something like 100 levels, and those of you familiar with the arcade version of gauntlet will feel at home here. There are some minor differences between the arcade game and this game on the NES, but it's definitely worth playing if you like gauntlet.

Two more recommendations. One of them is a personal favourite, which I had been trying to avoid before (I wanted to be a bit more objective, which is why I suggested Mega Man 2 initially, but I played through Mega Man 6 again today and I don't think I can possibly leave out recommending it here), and the other is a game that I received and played for the first time today, and found to be excellent.

Mega Man 6 - Platformer - Dr. Wily is back again, and this time he's somehow managed to fool the world by putting on a fake beard, sticking a red dot on his face, wearing a fancy cape, and claiming to be "Mr. X", the sponsor of the First Annual Robot Tournament (who conveniently steals all of the entered robots for an attempt at world domination). Mega Man 6 has the usual Rock/Paper/Scissors weapon setup, but it also has a couple of new twists, as well - there are sometimes alternate paths through the stages, and sometimes there is a fake version of the boss, too! In the case of beating the fake boss, you get their weapon as you should, which may have you fooled, but you'll miss out on obtaining power-ups that are vital to progress through the game, such as the Rush Jet Adapter (which allows you to fuse with Rush the robotic dog and use him as a suit in order to fly for a brief amount of time) and the Rush Power Adapter (which allows you to punch through certain obstacles using incredibly giant robo-boxing-gloves). The game has a nice difficulty curve - it can be quite challenging, but it's never insurmountable, and the game winds down nicely as you get towards the end, too. Also, the Rush Jet Adapter is just plain fun to use - it's a great touch and it works really well. This is my favourite of the NES Mega Man games, and it comes highly recommended.

Mighty Final Fight - Brawler - A cute chibi-style reimagining of the arcade game Final Fight, which has hilariously super-deformed versions of the protagonists and the Mad Gear Gang thugs. Never before has street violence been depicted in such an hilariously adorable manner. You get to pick from playing as Cody, Guy, or Haggar - the same as in the arcade game - and mow throw a city full of goons. It shares the same control system as the arcade game - one button performs a fighting move, the other makes your character jump, and pressing them both together pulls off a special move that can get you out of a jam but at the cost of some of your own health. It also has an experience and levelling system, which the arcade game didn't have. Other than the aforementioned similarities, the game is a good brawler in its own right, and doesn't actually try to remake Final Fight, so much as retell it in a cute and goofy manner. It's lacking a two-player mode, but the amount of fun on offer more than makes up for this. It's definitely worth a try if Final Fight is your sort of thing, or if you just happen to like Capcom's NES titles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blaster Master You drive a tank that (inititialy) jumps and shoots (cannon, missiles, etc). Later on the tank gets an upgraded cannon, hover mode, submarine mode, the ability to climb up walls, and roofs. Like that wasn't enough, you also have to get off the tank and enter smaller caves with Jason (the pilot) and fight your way thru to the bosses (which gives you the powerups necessary to advance to the next levels). It's non-linear so you end going thru areas 1, then 2, then 3, back to 1, then 4 and so on.

Batman One of the few really good games based on movies. Great music and gameplay. You use punches/bat bomerang/gun/etc to defeat the badies and use the wall jump ability in clever ways to go thru stages avoiding the dangers (electricity/propellers/gears/etc) in floors and walls.

Crystalis Zelda like game. But beside the sword, you could charge up to be able to shoot an energy shot. As you progress you acquire new swords (IIRC) which shoot different elements (wind, fire, etc) each with slightly different properties (a single ball of wind, a long burst of fire, etc). You also acquire various items that are required to progress further. I got stuck in one part though, could find what I had to do next. Good game otherwise.

Shadow of the Ninja Cool 2p cooperative platforming game. You can use a sword or a kusarigama, can also obtain a limited number of shurikens or grenades as powerups. Pretty cool was the ability to hang under some platform and make a very ninja-like flip to climb on top it. You fight thru stages and defeat the bosses to advance to the next one.

Contra, Super C

Ninja Gaiden (haven't played 2 and 3.. can barely get past 6-2 in 1, guh, still never beat the damn thing)

Kid Icarus

Street Fighter 2010

Battletoads
Check out user "jamesnintentonerd" on youtube. He calls himself the angry videogame nerd and does hilarious reviews of the, mainly NES, games he hates. Just watch the episode on Ninja Gaiden, I bet you'll laugh :) There's also a feature on Battletoads Multiplayer. Oh, and don't watch if you,re offended by frequent swearing.

Check out user "jamesnintentonerd" on youtube. He calls himself the angry videogame nerd and does hilarious reviews of the, mainly NES, games he hates. Just watch the episode on Ninja Gaiden, I bet you'll laugh :) There's also a feature on Battletoads Multiplayer. Oh, and don't watch if you,re offended by frequent swearing.

You mean The angry video game nerd? From screwattack? New episodes released through gametrailers each month?

^ That's the one. I don't think that there's a lot Angry Video Game Nerds out there. Official ones I mean :p

I've seen all of AVGN. I'd say more "don't watch if you're offended by scat" personally ;p He's a funny guy.

3D World Runner - Like a 3rd person platformer? I really don't know how to describe it, but it's really fun.

Air Fortress - Levels begin like a shooter where you collect energy for your space suit which is used for the second portion of the level.

Metroid - Exploration platformer. Good if you have a lot of time on your hands.

Gyruss - Sort of like a shmup, but you can move in a circle around the screen and you shoot enemies that fly out from the center. I suggest control set B when you play.

Kung Fu - Never-ending side-scroller where you punch midgets and falling pottery

RBI Baseball 2 - Fun and easy to play even if you have little to no grasp of the rules of baseball

Predator - Pretty good platformer based on the Predator movie. It has some pretty annoying pitfalls though.

Ivan "Ironman" Stuart's Super Off Road - A 4-player(!) racing game that has upgradable cars and power-ups.

Bionic Commando - Platformer that replaces the jump function of most games with a cool grappling hook.

Back