Best Travel Keyboard?

ShyGuy

Alright, I'm adding some auxiliary Pandora items to my Christmas list and I'm looking for opinions! I'm buying a USB hub anyway (it'd be silly not to with our USB-2.0-only port), so I was thinkin' along the lines of USB. Bluetooth is okay, but I don't want a $120 keyboard here.

Any ideas when it comes to fold-up/roll-up travel keyboards?

I would start by eliminating roll-ups because they would probably be easier to damage, and always require a flat surface whereas some folding ones can support themselves.

tazg said:
I would start by eliminating roll-ups because they would probably be easier to damage, and always require a flat surface whereas some folding ones can support themselves.
I agree, the roll up I had was ok for a while, except I hated not having tactile feedback, the flimsiness, and the inevitable breaking

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr.Gonzo said:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/8193/

Ok ... its expensive (but in rebate) ... And still need a compatible driver ... there no tactile feedback... BUT ITS F***ING COOL!!
No tactile feedback but there IS a CLICK noise every time you hit a key , how cool is that?

That's pricey, and flaky. I don't foresee someone using that on an airplane and such. I see someone using a hard folding keyboard anywhere though.

Agreed. The MonoMobile keyboard looks kinda interesting (kinda like the Stowaway), but isn't there a decently-priced fold-up keyboard that's currently in production somewhere?

I'm wondering if foldups aren't expensive because they use mechanical switches?
You couldn't really use the classic membrane design for a foldable keyboard, unless each section of the keyboard was independent sections of membrane.
If they're using mechanical switches, that's probably part of the reason they're so expensive.
Also, that link is the same as the previous one, isn't it?

With the cost of the fold up keyboards, I'm tempted to just buy a Model M in pristine condition instead.

800px-ModelM.jpg

Of course... That sort of negates the whole portability thing, but hey. B)

mechanizeddeath said:
With the cost of the fold up keyboards, I'm tempted to just buy a Model M in pristine condition instead.

800px-ModelM.jpg

I'm typing on one of those right now. Probably exactly the same model, a 1391401. Mine was manufactured on 23 March 1988, making it slightly older than me. :lol:

Tom` said:
mechanizeddeath said:

edit: removed pic

I'm typing on one of those right now. Probably exactly the same model, a 1391401. Mine was manufactured on 23 March 1988, making it slightly older than me. :lol:

hehe i got one somewhere around here too

fwiw there was a realy good thread on the other boards with links do some keyboards awhile back ..

dsleaf67 said:
I've been looking at these and they look nice to me.

here, here or wireless BT

That last one is actually not BT, it's IR - it comes with a USB receiver, though, so it should work fine. Might drain your batteries, I don't know how much power IR takes.

Tom` said:
mechanizeddeath said:

(img)

He! I have another one behind my fingers :) number 1391405 made in UK, the 13 sept 1990, spanish variant

how small is the world uh ? :rolleyes:

Hmm... a small keyboard would be okay, problem is I plan to code on it so I really need braces, brackets etc in the same place.

How about a six key chording keyboard the size of a credit card (or alternatively the six buttons mounted to your panda's bottom)? I've got the bread board prototype working now - the "production prototype" is next.

Yeah, I know, you're thinking "I don't want to learn to use a six key keyboard"... but on the off chance you're interested in the concept check out www.gkos.com

It is an interesting concept, but I gotta say if I'm going to teach myself another keyboarding method I'll be starting with Dvorak ;)

Back