Best way to play Doom?

Blue Protoman

We've got four engines for Doom; PrBoom, ZDoom, Doom Legacy, and CDoom. What are the differences between each engine? All I know is that ZDoom has amazing mod support, but I hear that it runs slow. Besides ZDoom for mods, why would I want one over the other?

We've got four engines for Doom; PrBoom, ZDoom, Doom Legacy, and CDoom. What are the differences between each engine? All I know is that ZDoom has amazing mod support, but I hear that it runs slow. Besides ZDoom for mods, why would I want one over the other?

if you know about these then you must have seen this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58896-prboom-zdoom-doomlegacy/

but then you ask the differences which I give the major ones in the beginning of the thread.

prboom is the best for opengles support but only runs doom wads (best choice if you want doom with opengles)

cdoom I find is very good for running anything, but has only basic features and is only sw rendering (my choice for heretic,hexen,strife)

doom legacy has more feature (i.e multiplayer) only runs doom and heretic. Has software and opengles renders, but opengles is slow.

zdoom supports everything, but with the openal for sound it needs a hefty clock. Only has a software render.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was using doom legacy (seems fine speed wise) but the Doom engine just seems a little too old to set up what you would consider modern controls (ie nub1 move around, nub2 mouse look).

You are probably better off using the dpad for moving, but it all feels sort of, what's the best way to say it after years of xbox, not very fluid and old fashioned.

If someone has managed truly modern controls I'd like to know what version and how you did it.

Believe me, I know that modern controls are pointless in Doom.

What extra features does Legacy have?

It supports features which should allow modern controls (ie it is a real 3D engine, not a raycaster) but I just could not get the controls to play.

Last edited by a moderator:

It supports features which should allow modern controls (ie it is a real 3D engine, not a raycaster) but I just could not get the controls to play.

left nub will do freelook and right nub will do mouse clicks since thats how SDL sees the nubs in their default mode.

if you changed the nub modes you could swap them at least.

Not really sure what you looking for.

Back