Beta Beta Test: Upcoming (Hf5) Firmware Image Beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Aaaand here we go with a new HF5-Betatesting image for you guys :)
This time we added some new stuff, so please test them and report back :)

It's still not in PND-form, so flashing this puts your Pandora back to the state you got it. Be sure to backup anything you put on the internal storage if you need it.

Here are the changes that happened from Beta 2 to Beta 3:

Code:
* omap3-sgx-modules: backport spinlock fix from omap3630 (thanks to notaz)
* mount.sh: Small optimization (changed rm to rmdir)
* New: Added CPU-Settings script
* pnd_run.sh: Remove empty AUFS-Directories after unmounting (thanks to sebt3)
* MiniMenu: Various bugfixes and minor enhancements (i.e. About screen, etc.)
* MiniMenu: Directory browser is now available in config panel. Will currently only run files that look like they're executable or pnd's.
* MiniMenu: added 'subcats as folders' option and support, set ...

As you can see, most changes have happened with MiniMenu!
It now shows subcategories as folders inside the tabs (can be switched off, if you don't like it) and it has a directory browser included (disabled as default).
It follows strict Freedesktop conventions, any PNDs that are using non-standard categories will appear in OTHER.
There are quite a few PNDs out there with wrong categories that need to be fixed.

Please test MiniMenu extensively and report back!

Another thing that needs to be tested are the fresh and new CPU-Settings (can be found within the settings menu).
Here you can change settings like the allowed maximum OPP, disable the CPU overclock warning, set maximum values allowed for the CPU, set a default speed on bootup, etc.

Please also test it and report back.

In case you haven't checked the changes of HF5 Beta 1 or 2 yet, here is the link to the the Beta 1 thread and here to the Beta 2 thread

How to flash the image?

Easy: Download the zipped image and extract the full contents onto the root of your SD Card.
Put the SD Card into slot 1 (the left one), switch on the Pandora while holding the R-Shoulder button and select "boot from SD1:1"

The flashing process should start. After it's finished, reboot the unit.
The first boot will take a while (up to 10 minutes). Patiently wait and you'll be greeted with the First Boot Wizard.

EDIT: New version available here.

Last edited:
Just installed it.

Everything went smoothly and seems to be running just fine.

Will check back if I find any issues :)

Everything works as expected. New CPU settings worked fine, currently testing at 1Ghz and stable. Quick question about the CPU speeds, if I set max opp to 5, will it vary depending on CPU speed e.g. will 500Mhz be opp3 even if max opp is set to 5?

Just a quick question, as I could not find it in the release notes. The ssh daemon was removed on purpose? With stock pandora, I could ssh into it over wifi, with hf5, there is not even a trace of any sshd on the box (/etc/pam.d/sshd exists, curiously).

DynaMight said:
Everything works as expected. New CPU settings worked fine, currently testing at 1Ghz and stable. Quick question about the CPU speeds, if I set max opp to 5, will it vary depending on CPU speed e.g. will 500Mhz be opp3 even if max opp is set to 5?

Yes, it dynamically changes the OPP based on the speed you set.
At 500MHz, it's still OPP3.

Myr said:
Just a quick question, as I could not find it in the release notes. The ssh daemon was removed on purpose? With stock pandora, I could ssh into it over wifi, with hf5, there is not even a trace of any sshd on the box (/etc/pam.d/sshd exists, curiously).

It's disabled as standard (since HF3, AFAIR), since most users don't need it.
You can go to Settings / Startup to enable the services you need (including dropbear, which is SSH)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
DynaMight said:

Nice one. What are the thresholds between OPP's?

Last edited by a moderator:
DynaMight said:
EvilDragon said:
DynaMight said:

Nice one. What are the thresholds between OPP's?

I'd like to know this too, as I can clock past 1GHz on the old HF4 - I don't want to change voltage, as I don't need to.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think it would be a good idea to include 'utf8' into the mount script...

Hopefully ED remembers what. But I think we tried utf8 a couple months ago and had issues. I seem to recall theres a reason not to use it. Maybe buggers up case insensitive or something? I forget :)

Jeffphone

Dunny said:
I'd like to know this too, as I can clock past 1GHz on the old HF4 - I don't want to change voltage, as I don't need to.

If you set the OPP to 3, then it won't change the voltage even if you overclock to 1GHz ;)

Last edited:
I think notaz's SDL was a 'quick' job, not yet stable (ie: stable with some apps, not others), so presumably it is not included. At best, it coudl be included on a per-app basis to speed thewm up when known, but I think it still needs some testing and fixing before general rollout.

I'm sure anyone who wants to help pick up the code or do serious testing would be welcome :)

jeff

Hi,

Seems stable and I can't find anything that doesn't work.
As per the first thread I _still_ cannot get the Pandora Key to work. The physical key seems to be working as per op_test_inputs but does nothing in the GUI.

I am experiencing the same issue as per this thread on the official boards.

-(e)

Maybe this has been reported elsewhere already, but under this hotfix I can no longer copy files between my 2 SD cards, I get an error message time each time I try. I've not tried to do this since trying out any of the hotfix 5 betas, so I'm not sure when this may have crept in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back