Blingo Released.

ruckage

Certified Guru
Blingo is uploaded and ready for you to try. Thanks to guyfawkes for uploading it for me.

blingo.jpg

You can download it here.

Blingo is a clone of a very popular online game called Slingo. The game is a cross between a slot machine and bingo.
The aim of the game is to try to fill the board within 20 spins by matching numbers that appear on the reels with a matching number in the same column.
[cut]

Rules of play
-------------

Every turn lasts a maximum of 20 seconds. At the begining of the turn you have 5 second to spin the reels. If you fail to spin the reels in this time you lose the turn.

Once you have spun the reels you have to pick the numbers that match the reels in the same column within the time limit. If there are no more matches the timer will move forward to the next turn.

You have to buy Spins 17-20 using points or any free spins you have. Alternatively you can pass on these spins.

The game ends when you fill in the whole card (Blingo!) or you use all 20 spins.

Be sure to read the included readme for full rules scoring and info on special symbols.
[/cut]

I've had a couple of reports that this doesn't work in firmware 2.0. Let me know if you have the same problem or if you are using firmware 2.0 and it does work for you also let me know. Thanks.

Thanks! great game, i noticed one bug tho, in the middle of a game, right when my turn was over it sent me back the the menu (on firmware 2.1.1) idk what cause it but thats the opnly problem i noticed......other than that i love the game (its fun) and quite addictive (goes back to playing it)

just in case you missed my post in the other topic: Just tried the game, very nice! I think it will be staying on my SD card for some time as a quick pick up and play game, I will show it to my mates missus later today as she is the Bingo expert (lives in the bingo hall :)).

One thing I have noticed is that there is no pause button in the game. As its a time based game it would be great to have as I was on the phone mid game and couldn't pause it.

Guyfawkes posted on Dec 24 2006 at 05:09 PM said:
just in case you missed my post in the other topic: Just tried the game, very nice! I think it will be staying on my SD card for some time as a quick pick up and play game, I will show it to my mates missus later today as she is the Bingo expert (lives in the bingo hall :)).

One thing I have noticed is that there is no pause button in the game. As its a time based game it would be great to have as I was on the phone mid game and couldn't pause it.

Since it is time based wouldnt a pause defeat the object., or at least blank the screen when paused.

By the way it doen't work for me on firmware 2, maybe it is time to update. Screenshots look nice though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a specific screen for pauses, so you can't pay attention. Or just pause normally, and allow people to cheat; it's not like they're cheating anyone but themselves...

My wife already loves this game. Looks like I am waiting a couple of days to play payback :)

Thanks again (next time enter a gaming competition so you can win some money).

Thanks for the replies, glad you're all enjoying it :)

Goemon4 posted on Dec 24 2006 at 04:16 PM said:
Thanks! great game, i noticed one bug tho, in the middle of a game, right when my turn was over it sent me back the the menu (on firmware 2.1.1) idk what cause it but thats the opnly problem i noticed......other than that i love the game (its fun) and quite addictive (goes back to playing it)

I have also had this happen a couple of times though I think it may be a bug in the fenix runtime (not wishing to pass tha buck). The reason I think that could be the case is I have had the same thing happen in other fenix programs and it seems completely random. However if anyone does notice a pattern I'll look into it.

A pause button would probably be a good idea so I'll look into adding it for a future release but I'll definately hide all the numbers during the pause to stop cheating :p

ruckage posted on Dec 24 2006 at 08:44 PM said:
Thanks for the replies, glad you're all enjoying it :)

Goemon4 posted on Dec 24 2006 at 04:16 PM said:

I have also had this happen a couple of times though I think it may be a bug in the fenix runtime (not wishing to pass tha buck). The reason I think that could be the case is I have had the same thing happen in other fenix programs and it seems completely random. However if anyone does notice a pattern I'll look into it.

A pause button would probably be a good idea so I'll look into adding it for a future release but I'll definately hide all the numbers during the pause to stop cheating :p
It happens with many fenix games, if not all, so i'd wager it's the runtime, but I thought it had been fixed in the newest one.

Alex solved the problem with it crashing on 2.0. The gpe wasn't in unix format. I'll update the file in a few days but in the meantime you can find a eplacement Gpe here
Unzip it and replace the existing gpe with this and hopefully it will work.

Yes, the new version works with firmware 2.0!

Very nice game, funny, cute, playable and the graphics are gorgeous.
Thanks Ruckage, hope to see more from you in the future.

Aw man I knew I should've charged up some batteries today!

You are one quick coder ruckage, looking forward to playing some portable slin..I mean blingo :)

:(

Much... difficulty... Firmware 2.0

Install.

Try to run blingo.gpe - black screen. No problem - I knew that.

Download new version of 'blingo.gpe' in blingogpe.zip from link.
Note that blingogpe.zip contains 'blingogpe' and not 'blingo.gpe'. Instructions are to "replace blingo.gpe with this one". Hrmmm. Do it anyway. Black screen.

Erase original 'blingo.gpe' and rename 'blingogpe' to 'blingo.gpe' to replace it. Black screen.

Open new 'blingo.gpe' (and 'blingogpe') in Programmers Notepad 2. Note that it looks less like a script and more binary. Shrug. Resave 'blingo.gpe' ensuring it's explicitly saved with Unix format. Black screen.

Now, I've seen posts from people using firmware 2.0 and having it work. Clearly I'm missing something, but I'm blowed if I can think what it is.

Please advise.

Try downloading it again as I just checked my archive and the file inside it is definately blingo.gpe could be that your file got corrupted during download

I've already downloaded it umpteen times, but I tried again since you checked.

The file from muddymonkey.co.uk is "blingogpe.zip" and it contains a single file called "blingogpe" (no extension) that - at best - expands to be 204 bytes.

Didn't notice that 'bytes' (not 'kilobytes') thing before. I dare say that's it... but it will not download for me any differently (except to download as zero bytes or to not download at all).

[edit] Crap, I've run out of time and need to go out. Looks like this'll be a Boxing Day treat instead. [/edit]

Well something must be going wrong at your end as I just downloaded it from my site and its fine and as far as I can tell no one else has had the problem. The size of the file is small as it is only a text file - about 84 bytes.
If it just won't download correctly for you for whatever the reason you could just load the blingo.gpe that came with the full download into notepad++ and just change that to unix format before saving as that is all that is needed.
If you've deleted the original zip this is what is needed in the script. Just paste the text below into notepad ++ and then make sure to save it as blingo.gpe in unix format.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd runtime
./fxi ../data/blingo.dcb 
cd /usr/gp2x
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
Hope that helps.

Back