Bluetooth Works, But I Need Some Help :)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, never used Bluetooth for anything, so I thought I'd just try it out.

I got a mobile phone with Windows Mobile 6.5 and my Pandora.

Enabled Bluetooth on both. The Pandora discovered the phone (as phone) and I could connect to it and send files over. No prob with that.

BUT as a lot of you will probably want to use the phone as modem, I'd like to try that out.
The Pandora can discover and use a variety of Bluetooth device. I can select what it should discover in a dropdown menu (usually, it's set to all devices).
The devices it can use seem to be:
  • Input Devices (mice, keyboards, ...)
  • Headphones, headsets and other audio devices
  • Phone
  • Modem
  • Computer
  • Network
  • Camera
  • Printer

I guess what I would need for an internet connection would be either modem or network. But my phone says it's a phone - and doesn't seem to offer internet to the Pandora.

Now my question:
Could it be that Windows Mobile 6.5 doesn't offer that? Can't I use that phone as modem for internet access?
The WM6.5 interface is the most cluttered I've ever seen (well, maybe except for Vista), so I have no idea if I am doing something wron here or if this is even possible.

The Pandora Bluetooth function seems a lot more easy and logical for me ;)

So, anyone who can help me there?

in my excperience with using mobiles as a modem is its usually the cheaper phones that work (not smartphones or windows phones) maybe you could do a little google-ing for an app that may allow you to do this. if not then maybe try a sony erricsson i know that this will deffinatly work as a modem.

omg,omg,omg. That's exactly what I'm planning to do. Currently I know few things, and my research was just a little + guesswork.

My phone, a classical nokia 3120c, can connect to internet using 3G, and Opera works. I can check my emails and browse websites. Opera is using java.

My guess is that I need to find a java application that connects to internet in similar manner as Opera, then acts as a software router (written in java) and redirects the network traffic through bluetooth.

That is where I am currently planning to start my research, to achieve aforementioned goal.

My experience with this is limited, but in the past I've simply set up a new dialup connection on the PC, to dial either *99# or *91# depending on the provider (no username or password). If the phone is tethered to the PC, it picks it up as a dialup modem and voila.

[edit] As dpoarch points out this may not apply to Winmo 6.5

EvilDragon said:
Now my question:
Could it be that Windows Mobile 6.5 doesn't offer that? Can't I use that phone as modem for internet access?
The WM6.5 interface is the most cluttered I've ever seen (well, maybe except for Vista), so I have no idea if I am doing something wron here or if this is even possible.

The Pandora Bluetooth function seems a lot more easy and logical for me ;)

So, anyone who can help me there?

EvilDragon are you using NetworkManager and Blueman? It may be that the phone's device-id is not in the proper file to support this out of the box.
I run Fedora Linux 12 on my laptop and my phones are all detected by NetworkManager out of the box as having Dial-Up Networking capability. That's with a Nokia N82 and N85. There's a file with a list of supported phones with the device-ids inside.

I remember a while back a picture of NetworkManager and a caption saying that you guys wanted to include it for the awesome connectivity it provides, in my experience it really does. Being GTK+ means it probably fits in nicely with the XFCE desktop too.

Edit: Where possible NetworkManager fills in the provider details, it has a large database of user provided details for all sorts of mobile providers, listed by countries. I just needed to select UK -> Orange -> Contact and away I go, the username, password and dial code were all set up.

Edit 2: This is more about 3G USB dongles or cards but I pulled this from the networkmanager mailinglist archive, by Dan Williams lead developer on NM, the following all work:

Sony Ericsson F3507g (aka Dell 5530)
Sony Ericsson MD300
* Sony Ericsson TM-506 (via USB cable)
* LG PM325 (via USB cable)
* BUSlink SCWi275u
* Option iCON 225
* Option ICON 7.2
* Option GT MAX 3.6 (aka Option GT Ultra)
Sierra Wireless AirCard 580 (Sprint)
Sierra Wireless AirCard 881 (use latest AT&T firmware)
* Sierra Wireless AirCard 860
Sierra Wireless AirCard 595U (Sprint/Verizon)
* Sierra Wireless MC8775
* Huawei E160G
Huawei E220
* Novatel Merlin S720 (Sprint/Verizon)
* Novatel Merlin XU870 (aka Dell 5510)
Novatel Ovation U727 (Sprint/Verizon)
Novatel Merlin S620 (Sprint)
* Qualcomm Gobi (GSM firmware)
Kyocera KPC650 (Verizon)
Verizon Wireless PC5750
Verizon Wireless UM175
Verizon Wireless KPC680

I have heard that NM works with the following additional devices:

Huawei E169
Huawei EC121 (Reliance India)
Huawei E168 (Reliance India)
Option Nozomi
(others I can't remember)

In general, devices supported by the Linux 'option', 'hso', 'sierra',
and 'nozomi' drivers will work with NetworkManager.

Edit 3: ED, I think if you attach your phone via the cable to a Linux computer and
Code:
lspci
it, looking for your phone, you'll get the device id and then we can search for it to see if it's supported and what modes it uses etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey ED ive just done some googleing my self on the matter and you can also do this using usb to to the windows phone

would it just not be easier to use a usb 2g or 3g grsm modem and plave your sim card in it

@gruso
was this with a windows mobile 6.5 phone? I don't think they use that anymore link

With newer windows mobile it seems that you add the device as a bluetooth modem and you do not have to do any dialing anymore. (this is all from reading I have no experience except tethering through usb)

dpoarch said:
@gruso
was this with a windows mobile 6.5 phone? I don't think they use that anymore link
Ah ok, scratch that then. It was someone else's Nokia (Symbian) phone. I don't even have a modern phone, still love my ancient Sony Ericsson too much to give it up.

dpoarch said:
@gruso

With newer windows mobile it seems that you add the device as a bluetooth modem and you do not have to do any dialing anymore. (this is all from reading I have no experience except tethering through usb)
Anyway, based on continued feedback from the community, we have changed our minds! We will bring Bluetooth DUN back by default in a future WM6 AKU release. Keep in mind that OEMs and operators still have the final say whether DUN will end up on a specific device.
Still, it depends on the device. I think if it has "internet [connection] sharing" then that must be somehow enabled on the device. I know nothing about WinMo, so thats just deferred from that blog entry behind the link.

ah I see what you are saying. I skipped that part. So their whole ics protocol is some special thing that only works on some devices that use it, and they still have the legacy software for backwards compatibility.

Yeah, it could be a DUN or PAN issue, as winmo seems to prefer PAN these days and Linux-based systems are often DUN-oriented. The Nokia tablets, for example, supported DUN out of the box but PAN had to be hacked in by the users.

At my work i have bluetooth 56K modem that work with the application dev buy my employer working on windows mobile 6 but i never see bluetooth ADSL modem

Aaah, first step: Found the setting for Internet sharing in my WM6.5 mobile phone.
It's not where you would expect it (in the Bluetooth settings dialogue), but in Program Files.
Now, let's try more :)

slygamer said:
With the iPhone, you have to pay the telco to get tethering enabled. Only then can the phone be used for internet connection for another device.
Slightly off-topic, but I think that depends very much on your telco. My operator in Sweden have not placed that limitation on the iPhones they sell, tethering is enabled by default.

Just waiting for wifi to work, android has wifi tethering so after wifi is working it shouldnt be hard :p

Tor said:
Yeah, it could be a DUN or PAN issue, as winmo seems to prefer PAN these days and Linux-based systems are often DUN-oriented. The Nokia tablets, for example, supported DUN out of the box but PAN had to be hacked in by the users.

Okay, my phone says it's PAN, that might explain it. I still can only find it as phone... need to dive in more.

BTW: Software I'm using on the Pandora is: GNOME Bluetooth Properties 2.28.6 and Network Manager.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Tor said:

Okay, my phone says it's PAN, that might explain it. I still can only find it as phone... need to dive in more.

BTW: Software I'm using on the Pandora is: GNOME Bluetooth Properties 2.28.6 and Network Manager.

I believe Blueman is better to use, especially so if you want this Bluetooth tethering. NM and Blueman have been working together on this problem. It's got a number of plugins that are for NetworkManager that bind the whole process together. It's in the Angstrom repository, last time I checked, maybe install that and give it a go. The latest NM 0.8 has support for both DUN and PAN, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Dead1nside said:
Edit 3: ED, I think if you attach your phone via the cable to a Linux computer and
Code:
lspci
it, looking for your phone, you'll get the device id and then we can search for it to see if it's supported and what modes it uses etc.

I think you must mean lsusb? I don't see how a phone can come up as a PCI device! ;)

Dead1nside said:
EvilDragon said:

I believe Blueman is better to use, especially so if you want this Bluetooth tethering. NM and Blueman have been working together on this problem. It's got a number of plugins that are for NetworkManager that bind the whole process together. It's in the Angstrom repository, last time I checked, maybe install that and give it a go. The latest NM 0.8 has support for both DUN and PAN, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Seconded. Both KDE and Gnome have worthless default apps for handling bluetooth as far as I have tried. Blueman actually works

Back