List The Phones That Can Tether With The Pandora

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
Well the 2 years are almost up so I have to get a new phone. I'd like to use this phone as a mobile modem.

If you have a pandora and a phone please report here if you've been able to use it as a modem and via what way (usb or bluetooth) and preferably also how :D . I think this can come in handy for a lot of people.

[this does not work]

Ad-Hoc wifi is not supported in the kernel/wifi driver pandora side.

[phones that work]

Nokia E17 (through a usb hub) link
G1DEV (via bluetooth) link
Any Windows Mobile 6 / 6.5 Smartphone with bluetooth works with upcoming HF4 link
HTC Desire via usb link
Nexus 1's wireless WIFI hotspot (Using Froyo Cyanogen mod RC6) link
Nokia 6110 navigator via bluetooth works perfectly with simyo, using pppd to make the call. link

Last edited by a moderator:
Bosbeetle said:
Well the 2 years are almost up so I have to get a new phone.
Duh, my phone is about 4 years old and still rocking (as in I use it for calling, sms and tethering, (now with the pandora)). So I'm curios on why do you want a new phone?
Well truth to be told my current phone (a Nokia 6630) is already feeling a bit obsolete (altough I'm still in love with S60 2nd Edition (even tough it sucks real hard)), and mostly because it has already been damaged both structurally (the shell is taped together...) and electrically (it lost its DV-RS-MMC reading ability in a watery accident a long time ago), but hey thats 4 years old, not 2. I've been checking out 6730c for a while now (mostly because it has HSDPA, and in many ways seems like a successor for the 6630), but ATM i dont have extra cash for that, so... And for the original question: I believe that currently most of the nokia models that have bluetooth and 3G can tether. I'll leave listing the exeptions to other people (so yeah check before boying).

urjaman said:
Bosbeetle said:
Well the 2 years are almost up so I have to get a new phone.
Duh, my phone is about 4 years old and still rocking (as in I use it for calling, sms and tethering, (now with the pandora)). So I'm curios on why do you want a new phone?
Well truth to be told my current phone (a Nokia 6630) is already feeling a bit obsolete (altough I'm still in love with S60 2nd Edition (even tough it sucks real hard)), and mostly because it has already been damaged both structurally (the shell is taped together...) and electrically (it lost its DV-RS-MMC reading ability in a watery accident a long time ago), but hey thats 4 years old, not 2. I've been checking out 6730c for a while now (mostly because it has HSDPA, and in many ways seems like a successor for the 6630), but ATM i dont have extra cash for that, so... And for the original question: I believe that currently most of the nokia models that have bluetooth and 3G can tether. I'll leave listing the exeptions to other people (so yeah check before boying).

I have a sony erricson I droped in the toilet about a year ago and now the speaker sometimes doesnt work. Otherwise great phone would have used it longer if I could. Thats why I will buy a new phone.

I will put the others in the OP

urjaman said:
A lot of companies will give you a new phone (from a small selection) for free for a 2 year contract, so every two years you basically just upgrade your phone for free. Or at least for cheap. Getting the latest $500 phone for only $50? It's usually worth being locked to a company for two years :)

Most the recent Nokia phones that have WiFi and 3G can be set-up like a WiFi access point, allowing any WiFi capable device to use it's 3G connection. For example this app for the Nokia XM 5800 JoikuSpot That actually works on most S50v5 phones that have WiFi and 3G. I am sure there are other similar applications for other phone platforms, who needs tethering in this day and age? :D

WizardStan said:
A lot of companies will give you a new phone (from a small selection) for free for a 2 year contract, so every two years you basically just upgrade your phone for free. Or at least for cheap. Getting the latest $500 phone for only $50? It's usually worth being locked to a company for two years :)
My phone was such a deal (locked to an operator for 2 years). Phone that was introduced in 2004 ("latest" in '06?...), I paid a total of 240€ (24 months*10€) for it 2006-'08. I could have propably bought it for much less than that in 2006 (now they're like <50€ used...), so I wont count my deal as good value for the money, it's just that I wouldnt have been able put down that much money back then, so in that way it allowed me to have a "smartphone" when my budget wouldnt normally have allowed me to, so I'm not that sad about it.

It was a bit PITA to unlock (remove operator lock) my phone after 2 years had passed. I had to first request unlocking, then had to personally (with my mom, who back then owned the account (i couldnt, I was propably still 17)) visit their (specific) shop, where they unlocked it. I mean come on, they could have e-mailed the unlocking key sequence to me. And it still had that horrificly branded SW in it. I've since reflashed (I wont tell you how, atleast publicly) the phone with original Nokia SW.

So, in short, I wont do that again. Unless you were talking about like companies you work for or the like, but this was the arrangement I thought you referred to.

yodaofborg said:
Alerino said:
still no go for joikuspot atm
the kernel has to support ad hoc mode, and it doesn't

I reckon support will be there before I get my Pandora :)

Notaz has said that the wifi driver does not support ad-hoc so it needs to be added to the driver.

According to all the info I can find, phones that can run Android 2.2 will be able to use the new "app" that it has to make the phone a WiFi hotspot. This should work fine with the Pandora (at least I'm hoping my Droid will work when the update makes it out... and I get my Pandora).

urjaman said:
My phone was such a deal (locked to an operator for 2 years). Phone that was introduced in 2004 ("latest" in '06?...), I paid a total of 240€ (24 months*10€) for it 2006-'08.
Then it wasn't a free phone. I meant that you go to a company, you choose your plan, and that becomes your monthly plan to use with any phone you choose. They then sweeten the deal by giving you a free (or at least discounted) phone if you agree to stick with that plan for 2 years. If you've done your research, you end up with a pretty good deal: a nice phone and a sweet plan that serves your purpose. If you didn't do any research, you may get stuck in a plan that isn't right for you.
At the end of the 2 years, you can continue using the same phone, or sell it and get a new one for another 2 year plan. I actually kept the same phone an extra 2 years during which time my carrier offered other incentives (bonuses to my plan like treating long distance as local minutes + unlimited evenings = unlimited international calling after 7pm.) in exchange for 12 month contracts. Now I too am looking for a new phone. I'm probably going to stick with my current plan and phone for a few months until the next wave of smartphones is released.

urjaman said:
It was a bit PITA to unlock (remove operator lock) my phone after 2 years had passed. I had to first request unlocking, then had to personally (with my mom, who back then owned the account (i couldnt, I was propably still 17)) visit their (specific) shop, where they unlocked it. I mean come on, they could have e-mailed the unlocking key sequence to me.
The key is derived from a code inside your phone. It's different for every phone. They need to hit a sequence to get the key, enter that into their program, and then hit a response sequence into your phone to unlock it. The average person is sufficiently confused by their phone that asking them to do this themselves is asking for trouble. You might have been able to do it, but a lot of policies are built around the lowest common denominator.
Incidentally, most generic phone shops (at least the ones I've seen over here in Canada) will gladly unlock any phone for $10. No fuss, no muss.

Plowman said:
According to all the info I can find, phones that can run Android 2.2 will be able to use the new "app" that it has to make the phone a WiFi hotspot. This should work fine with the Pandora (at least I'm hoping my Droid will work when the update makes it out... and I get my Pandora).

ad-hoc wifi is not supported (yet) by the pandora

I'd suspect that in general most phones that support tethering via either Bluetooth or WiFi ought to work, USB might be a bit of a trick depending upon whether or not it's supported on Linux.

Bosbeetle said:
Plowman said:
According to all the info I can find, phones that can run Android 2.2 will be able to use the new "app" that it has to make the phone a WiFi hotspot.
ad-hoc wifi is not supported (yet) by the pandora
If it works in any way like my Nokia 9500, it doesn't create an ad-hoc connection but actually turns the phone into a standard access point. Just connect to it as if it were any other router.

hedwards said:
I'd suspect that in general most phones that support tethering via either Bluetooth or WiFi ought to work, USB might be a bit of a trick depending upon whether or not it's supported on Linux.
I think that was the point of asking for 'what is known to work'...

WizardStan said:
The key is derived from a code inside your phone. It's different for every phone. They need to hit a sequence to get the key, enter that into their program, and then hit a response sequence into your phone to unlock it. The average person is sufficiently confused by their phone that asking them to do this themselves is asking for trouble. You might have been able to do it, but a lot of policies are built around the lowest common denominator.
Incidentally, most generic phone shops (at least the ones I've seen over here in Canada) will gladly unlock any phone for $10. No fuss, no muss.
The unlock key is derived from the phone's IMEI that they know (it's in their system even before you get the phone). They didnt need to use the phone more than just to enter the code (at the shop). And ironically the unlock sequence was e-mailed to the shop. The actual reason why I hated the unlocking stuff so much is that my friend who had a similar contract with a competing operator could just go to their web service and see the unlock code from there (when the 24 months was up). Duh.

urjaman said:
The unlock key is derived from the phone's IMEI that they know (it's in their system even before you get the phone).
Oh yeah. I suppose they would have had to have it, wouldn't they? :p
I was thinking more of what the third party unlockers would need to do in order to unlock your phone. If unlocking your phone is important to you, that's part of the research you need to go through when selecting your carrier and plan. :)

Back