Bluetooth Works, But I Need Some Help :)

You might want to try the wiki page I just posted about this:

http://pandorawiki.org/Mobile_broadband

The instructions are kind of old, but if you can get the tools that I listed and find the proper settings for the two config files, you should be good to go.

I also have a question for ED, could you try setting up a PAN from your computer, and then get the pandora on that network, and get it online that way? Here's a bluez page about that: http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/Network

EdCa22 said:
Dead1nside said:
Edit 3: ED, I think if you attach your phone via the cable to a Linux computer and
Code:
lspci
it, looking for your phone, you'll get the device id and then we can search for it to see if it's supported and what modes it uses etc.

I think you must mean lsusb? I don't see how a phone can come up as a PCI device! ;)

Yes you're right :( my Linux noobishness shows. After proclaiming the wonders of the NM + Blueman combination, I've been struggling to get it to work again on the train home. I think it was an unrelated buggy update of the gvfs backend... still trying to fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Transfering files is plenty good enough! :pandora2ut4:
I can transfer games and such from my mac to Pandora! YAY!

You've probably already figured this out, but yes windows mobile 6.5 uses bluetooth PAN. You have to run the "Internet Sharing" application.

bluez can be configured to support PAN. Here's some docs for ubuntu that should be easy to adopt to angstrom http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=598890

ED Also be careful. I don't know about your mobile carrier, but here in the US most carriers will charge you extra if you use internet sharing without paying for it or having a modified internet sharing dll (xda-developer, etc.)

And http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2009/07/10/unwire-with-networkmanager/ for information on integration with Network Manager

I connected my mobile phone to my PC. Steps:

• Tether the phone
  • Set up DUN connection on phone
  • Refill phone money account
  • Use Internet
  • Refill phone money account

I have done something similar with my nokia n810... I have a motorola v325i on verizon that I tether to the n810 through bluetooth. The n810 lets you talk to the phone as a modem and you can set up a new dialup connection with the phone. I set the phone number to be the local line for one of the many free dialup providers that are easily findable.

Verizon lets you assign custom "any network" type numbers to your account so you can get unlimited minutes to those numbers any time of the day... I'm sure most of the other providers do something along those lines. I've tested it extensively and it always shows up on my bill as a normal phone call... they can't tell it's modem tones and not voices. So as long as I'm not using any minutes for the phone calls it's unlimited free internet anywhere there's cell signal.

I can also do the same thing by tethering the phone to my netbook, and the phone has a mini usb type b jack on the bottom which makes it very convenient for connecting to a host device via usb... no proprietary connector to deal with :D

I average about 4-5 KB/s (that's KibiBytes) per second so I guess that's about full 56k modem speed... for free... anywhere there's cell coverage... yeah it's sweet... yeah it's slow :D

It works great to check the email, forums, wiki, or do some searching... that's about it. For those of you who have your fancy schmancy wireless broadband then you're probably looking for some other way to do the dialing-up part.

I'm curious to see if my phone will work as a modem for the pandora... if so *yeaahhh under breath and thumbs up*

Most mobile phone internet connection sharing uses (GSM) HSDPA or EDGE, (CDMA) EVDO or 1xRTT/GPRS. Those are data connections. Not data modulated over a voice connection. And on those data connections they can tell how many bytes you send and receive. High usage is suspicious of unauthorized tethering instead of on device data usage.

Trey said:
Most mobile phone internet connection sharing uses (GSM) HSDPA or EDGE, (CDMA) EVDO or 1xRTT/GPRS. Those are data connections. Not data modulated over a voice connection. And on those data connections they can tell how many bytes you send and receive. High usage is suspicious of unauthorized tethering instead of on device data usage.
Yeah, but I'm guessing using the phone as a dial-up modem wouldn't be particularly detectable. :p

I had a HTC S730 (RIP) which had WinCE 6.1, and it offered PAN...

Tom` said:
Trey said:
Yeah, but I'm guessing using the phone as a dial-up modem wouldn't be particularly detectable. :p

That's probably true, but I always recommend to people to just pay the money for the service that they want. It may be a little more expensive each month, but you'll never have to worry about your provider finding you out, issuing a thousand dollar bill, then shutting off your service. I think it's a bit different if you're tethering an android phone or an iphone though, as you pay a lot for that data service, and those devices are capable of the full web. I also know that if I were to tether every day for 10 hours a day, I would only use about 3~4GB/mo. (I know because I did that for a couple of years.)

In short, if you're on an Android phone, iPhone, or WebOS phone, you can probably get away with using a tethering app, and even running up your data usage to a couple of GBs per month. Otherwise, you're better off paying for it up front and not needing to worry about the consequences later.

cosurgi said:
My phone, a classical nokia 3120c, can connect to internet using 3G, and Opera works. I can check my emails and browse websites. Opera is using java.
My guess is that I need to find a java application that connects to internet in similar manner as Opera, then acts as a software router (written in java) and redirects the network traffic through bluetooth.

Nope, you don't need any extra software on the 3120c. You set up an rfcomm serial connection to the phone, then have PPP connect to it as if it was a modem. There are more than a few tutorials available on the net.

you guys.. I had no idea you could do this with a phone. this is ridiculous. I had NO IDEA YOU COULD USE DIALUP OVER A CELL PHONE omg. My university provides a local number with free dialup. I'm going to set this up on my laptop and try it out. If this works with Pandora I'm gonna be sooo happy, I don't mind slowness. It'll be fast enough to check e-mail and IM and IRC and such, which is all I really wanted to do (surfing may be too slow but I'll be near WiFi whenever I want to do hardcore surfing. When I'm out and about I'll just play games probably :) )

rabidpoobear said:
you guys.. I had no idea you could do this with a phone. this is ridiculous. I had NO IDEA YOU COULD USE DIALUP OVER A CELL PHONE omg. My university provides a local number with free dialup. I'm going to set this up on my laptop and try it out. If this works with Pandora I'm gonna be sooo happy, I don't mind slowness. It'll be fast enough to check e-mail and IM and IRC and such, which is all I really wanted to do (surfing may be too slow but I'll be near WiFi whenever I want to do hardcore surfing. When I'm out and about I'll just play games probably :) )
I'm not entirely familiar with the technology, but it doesn't work in the same way as dial-up internet over a landline. Mobile phones use a digital packet system to transfer various forms of data which usually consists of lossy compressed audio, but can also be text messages etc. Traditional landline phones transmit analogue modulated audio. Dial-up modems rely on the constant quality of that signal to modulate digital signals over the line. Trying to use these modulations over the lossy compressed audio stream that mobile phones use would not work. However, as mobile phones are already using a digital connection, you can use this to connect to the internet without going through an audio channel, which is what people are discussing here.

You can get it without a "3G" phone though. :)
If you want to get internet on your phone, you will need to find out whether your cell phone provider offers the service (they probably do) and what the pricing is for it.

(PS: I might be wrong about some of the details above, but I'm pretty sure about the result)

Aninhumer said:
rabidpoobear said:
I'm not entirely familiar with the technology, but it doesn't work in the same way as dial-up internet over a landline. Mobile phones use a digital packet system to transfer various forms of data which usually consists of lossy compressed audio, but can also be text messages etc. Traditional landline phones transmit analogue modulated audio. Dial-up modems rely on the constant quality of that signal to modulate digital signals over the line. Trying to use these modulations over the lossy compressed audio stream that mobile phones use would not work. However, as mobile phones are already using a digital connection, you can use this to connect to the internet without going through an audio channel, which is what people are discussing here.

You can get it without a "3G" phone though. :)
If you want to get internet on your phone, you will need to find out whether your cell phone provider offers the service (they probably do) and what the pricing is for it.

(PS: I might be wrong about some of the details above, but I'm pretty sure about the result)

Is aninhumer right? I'm pretty confused about this. Would be nice if someone could explain it. so you can't use dialup services? I thought someone mentioned doing this earlier in the thread.

rabidpoobear said:
Is aninhumer right? I'm pretty confused about this. Would be nice if someone could explain it. so you can't use dialup services? I thought someone mentioned doing this earlier in the thread.
Older phones can be used to connect to the net, the only downside is that's pretty slow.
My sony-ericsson is not 3G, it's GPRS or EDGE or something like that.
I just have a small config to do on the phone to allow sharing that internet connection over bluetooth/usb.
Then, when I "plug" (physically or over bluetooth) to my mac, the phone ask which way I want to connect my phone (only access to the memory stick like a usb thumbdrive or full phone functions).
My mac detects a "modem" and use the internet connection already setup in the "modem".
That's all, it works, my phone shows the little blue earth blinking showing the internet connection is alive and my mac is able to connect to jabber, irc or my favorite MUD ;)
BTW website browsing is a bit of a pain because of all that flash and ad bloat.

pc uses mobile phone as "dial up device". it's more or less just an odd description. it uses the phone's standard means of going online, which is it's regular mobile connection, which is available in different speeds. Some phones can be dialed *99# or some such to use their connection. So somehow the term dial up seems appropriate, but it really isn't IMO. Can we call that tethering?

So, you won't be able to use that university dialup number with your mobile phone.

mitosis said:
I have done something similar with my nokia n810... I have a motorola v325i on verizon that I tether to the n810 through bluetooth. The n810 lets you talk to the phone as a modem and you can set up a new dialup connection with the phone. I set the phone number to be the local line for one of the many free dialup providers that are easily findable.

Verizon lets you assign custom "any network" type numbers to your account so you can get unlimited minutes to those numbers any time of the day... I'm sure most of the other providers do something along those lines. I've tested it extensively and it always shows up on my bill as a normal phone call... they can't tell it's modem tones and not voices. So as long as I'm not using any minutes for the phone calls it's unlimited free internet anywhere there's cell signal.

I can also do the same thing by tethering the phone to my netbook, and the phone has a mini usb type b jack on the bottom which makes it very convenient for connecting to a host device via usb... no proprietary connector to deal with :D

I average about 4-5 KB/s (that's KibiBytes) per second so I guess that's about full 56k modem speed... for free... anywhere there's cell coverage... yeah it's sweet... yeah it's slow :D

It works great to check the email, forums, wiki, or do some searching... that's about it. For those of you who have your fancy schmancy wireless broadband then you're probably looking for some other way to do the dialing-up part.

I'm curious to see if my phone will work as a modem for the pandora... if so *yeaahhh under breath and thumbs up*

IT sounds to me like you are using a dial-up service through your cell phone? The other people are saying that's not possible. Can you clarify? Are you using the data plan on your phone, or are you just having it dial a dial-up service?

Tethered mobile phones CAN NOT talk to modems. They *look* like modems to your computer, but they directly talk to the carrier network. You can only connect to your carrier's data service (which has a magic phone number) and to no other.

In case this needs clarification:

YES, it's entirely possible to use good old dial-up via a GSM phone, just as you would with a land line. It works the same way: You need to connect your computer (I've only done this with a cable, because it's been a while) or with bluetooth. Then use AT commands just as you would with the landline phone. There could be some phones out there that don't support the AT command set though, that would be the only potential problem.

I used to do this with an Ericsson GSM phone (before Sony-Ericsson came along).

EDIT: I used to this from across country borders too (yes, it was expensive..), the only country it didn't work for was from Sweden, because their network would chop off bit 8 somehow. This was back in the late 90's.

EDIT2: In case it's not clear: The dial-up phone number I used was the landline at work.

EDIT3: Read my update about this 2 posts below.

Back