Boards are in Production (2010-09-08)

X is an unknown variable.

Tomorrow, more boards (with tested nubs) should leave Texas. How many? They didn't give us any estimations yet.

100? 200? 500? No one knows.

About 200 can be built without the next batch of cases to arrive. If the cases will be picked up tomorrow (that's what Fatih is trying to organize), they will be ready next week.

After that, how long before we can resume building?

Also unknown, as it depends on how fast the nubs will work.

Are the current ones fine? Than maybe we can resume building two weeks later. And if the board company keeps their promise, we could get up to 500 finished boards per week then.

It all comes down to the two right now unknown factors: When will the nubs be ready and will the board company be able to do so many boards per week?

after some more reading, i just understood this:

Boards are on the way, at most 200 pandora's can be build using existing parts.

After this, we are waiting on the new nubs and new cases. No confirmed estimations except *before okt 18* but good news, build quality should get another push up.

I guess I'm a bit out of date on the cases - I thought the only alteration was boring out the holes to fit the painted shoulder buttons - and if they didn't paint the shoulders that alteration wouldn't need to be made.
This is what I understood as well. If they are now indeed altering the holes in the cases there, then consider me very, very worried.

Craigix said:
Heh every time I feel a little low about some Pandora situation I just go and use one for a while... then I remember what an awesome bit of kit it is and why this is all worth it
Thanks for rubbing it in. But seriously, this sounds like a great idea. Send me mine and I'll do the same :)

Heh every time I feel a little low about some Pandora situation I just go and use one for a while... then I remember what an awesome bit of kit it is and why this is all worth it :)

I do the same, but I also use it when I dont feel low :D It is my most used gadget, ever!

I guess I'm a bit out of date on the cases - I thought the only alteration was boring out the holes to fit the painted shoulder buttons - and if they didn't paint the shoulders that alteration wouldn't need to be made.

Well, we did ask them to put the adhesive tape (for the LCDs) and the little bumpers on the lid, so we save assembly time... shouldn't have taken them more than a few days, but oh well... :)

I believe it included placing stickers, and putting the rubber stoppers and whatnot on the cases, not so much the shoulder button issues.

I know it has been said by Craig in the past that many here are monday morning quarterbacks, and that most here have no clue in regards to what it takes to get this project done, and I agree with that mostly, but several months ago it was said that they wnated the mould factory to do things to help speed production, as it would be faster for them to do certain things on their end.

Well, many of us, myself included thought that them doing anything besides building cases would be a complete waist of time, and that a blind school kid in the UK could do a better and faster job than those clowns. Now I guess that has been revealed to be true. I guess it really isn't a huge deal now, as the nubs and other things have been an issue, so there was a delay overall, but adding anything extra for them is just a bad idea.

Hearing Craig say his team could have done it faster is no suprise to "ANYONE" here, and I'm very suprised he thought anything else would come from them but a delay in the end. I'm all for making mistakes, as it is human nature, but so is learning from your mistakes, and making sure they don't happen again. Sadly, seeing that the team putting faith into the mould factory again and again to do anything more than make a case is mind boggling at this stage. If everything had gone to plan, we would all be waiting on guess who? That's right, the mould factory!

It is very discerning to see choices like this being made, but I guess it's all water under the bridge, but hopefully everyone here still waiting on his or her Pandora won't have to hear come Christmas time that they won't recieve it due to the mould factory, AGAIN!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig also said the delay didn't affect deliveries due to the nub issue. And he did admit it was a mistake - and recognising that is 90% of the way to avoiding doing it again.

Well, we did ask them to put the adhesive tape (for the LCDs) and the little bumpers on the lid, so we save assembly time... shouldn't have taken them more than a few days, but oh well... :)

That's good news, thanks. Good to hear the cases don't need any more tweaking.

Many thanks ED and Craig for the answers. I appreciate your time and honesty. You have filled in the gaps of my understanding.

Not overly happy about the cases but no great shock there, nor the nubs, but hey! they're doing what they need to do. ....<snip>
+ 1

Regarding the nubs. Would it be fair to say they fall into 3 categories?

1. The original nubs - badly manufactured (& tested) that may or may not work well

2. The original nubs - tweaked and more thoroughly tested that will hopefully stand the test of time

3. The 'new' modified ? nubs - Fantastic quality, guaranteed to never fail :p

Hopefully at approx 1600-1700 in the queue mine will use version 3. ;)

1. The original nubs - badly manufactured (& tested) that may or may not work well

2. The original nubs - tweaked and more thoroughly tested that will hopefully stand the test of time

3. The 'new' modified ? nubs - Fantastic quality, guaranteed to never fail :p

Hopefully at approx 1600-1700 in the queue mine will use version 3. ;)

Definately. And all failing nubs will also be replaced with new ones.

It all comes down to the two right now unknown factors: When will the nubs be ready and will the board company be able to do so many boards per week?

I've not been following any of the "when will it be delivered" threads for a while, but if both the above are unknown variables, is it really still expected that another 3200 complete units will ship by October?

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry but I'm a bit confused, the nub company is putting nubs on pandoras?

So, if you get a pandora returned because of bad nubs, you send it to the board company or to the nub company to be fixed? :huh: that doesn't seem right.

Don't you do the repairs yourself? I thought I read that replacing the nubs was difficult so you were replacing pandoras that had bad nubs with new pandoras that had good nubs and then selling the bad nub pandoras as one nubbers or keeping them for parts. Is that not the case anymore? Or did I just completely fabricate that scenario in my own head?

sorry but I'm a bit confused, the nub company is putting nubs on pandoras?

So, if you get a pandora returned because of bad nubs, you send it to the board company or to the nub company to be fixed? :huh: that doesn't seem right.

Usually, to the board company. They fix the broken boards.

However, as the nub company is responsible for the broken nubs, we're trying to get them to fix any boards with broken nubs for free.

Don't you do the repairs yourself? I thought I read that replacing the nubs was difficult so you were replacing pandoras that had bad nubs with new pandoras that had good nubs and then selling the bad nub pandoras as one nubbers or keeping them for parts. Is that not the case anymore? Or did I just completely fabricate that scenario in my own head?

We only sold one-nubbers from the very beginning.

We usually exchange the boards on broken Pandoras and the broken boards go back to Texas to be fixed. We never sold units which we got back because of broken nubs. The one-nubbers had a broken nub from the very beginning.

Im confused. Did they only ship 100 more boards to you guys? If that the case this company needs to get their head of their ass since I think OP shouldnt find this acceptable. Hopefully more come soon! :)

Im confused. Did they only ship 100 more boards to you guys? If that the case this company needs to get their head of their ass since I think OP shouldnt find this acceptable. Hopefully more come soon! :)
The number of boards that shipped is unknown. They were gonna keep making boards until the shipper came to pick them up. I guess we'll see when they make it to the UK. I think as long as the new nubs are a GO then we'll be golden.

Relax, its not gone from 2 months to 2 years just yet :p

Peace & Pandora,

Link

The number of boards that shipped is unknown. They were gonna keep making boards until the shipper came to pick them up. I guess we'll see when they make it to the UK. I think as long as the new nubs are a GO then we'll be golden.

Relax, its not gone from 2 months to 2 years just yet :p

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Give it a couple of weeks. :p We can celebrate together.

Back