Bored Already?

Clean3d, just talk about it and ask. Wolfsclaw's reply is a perfect example of the helpfulness of this community :) Pandora is not only for hackers, it's for everyone.

Clean3d said:
Battery power! I don't know what you folks are doing, but my Pandora definitely won't last 10 hours. IIRC, my battery dropped 10% just sitting with its lid closed for an hour.

Think about what you just said: it dropped ten percent in one hour, and that means it won't do ten hours. Well, at ten percent an hour it can do ten hours. What you need to remember is that closing the lid doesn't put the machine into suspend - there is almost NO battery management! The chipset is freaky, in that whatever I run on my Pandora I seem to get around ten hours. Watching films? Ten hours. Emulators? Ten hours. Overclock? Ten hours. Playing music out the speakers? Ten hours.

The battery life is great, but the lack of suspend is rubbish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not bored at all.
I'm so exited with my pandora. I can't quit thinking about it's potential that still need to be found/shown.
I'm having fun hacking it.
I'm having fun playing emulator (not much yet...)
I'm having fun playing games on it

For now, sky the limit

PS: I'm so exited that I didn't slept this night

Clean3d said:
Feels like I'm the only one left out. This ties into me not being a "hacker and tinkerer" ;) , but all the folks on the forums who are satisfied with the Pandora seem to magically have more software options than the average user. I'm eagerly looking forward to playing Battle for Wesnoth, but it's not in the apps repository yet and the download link I had previously has been removed. ScummVM is something I haven't found yet as well...
I'm a complete newbie to Linux other than trying out an Ubuntu live CD once. I'm not a hacker nor a tinkerer, and I'm having plenty of fun with my Pandora so I can't really relate. Maybe it's because I am a dev despite not being a hacker or a tinkerer, so I have more potential to see in the little bugger, I don't know, but I'm enjoying mine just fine.

I think a lot of the issue here is realistic expectations too; I never tried to convince myself the Pandora would be something it couldn't be. I haven't even touched N64 emulation yet since, despite the great work done on it it's still at a stage where firing it up would likely be disappointing for me. So I just... don't.

I've always been mistrustful of the gaming nubs but they weren't what I wanted a Pandora for anyway, and just like I expected I found playing Quake 2 on my Pandora like an extended version of the misery of playing shooters on my Xbox. I just need a mouse for that kind of thing. On the other hand for One Must Fall the nub worked great, so I was pleasantly surprised there.

So basically I tried to keep my expectations of what a Pandora could do - especially an early one - and so far it's matching it beautifully. It's definitely one of the best purchases I've made in the past few years. It doesn't blow all my devices out of the water but it is a very strong addition to my stable of electronics.

EDIT: I do have to add that the phrase I like to use most to describe the current state of the Pandora is that it's a pretty ghetto handheld device with a ton of potential to unlock.

I agree to a point about the non linux nerd having much less of a good time and feeling left behind as others get the full enjoyment out the system ,the pandora is indeed great for linux based messing around but i bought a pandora for two reasons.

1,playing emulation on an open linux based system with enough power to take advantage where other systems like the original xbox psp and nintendo wii only go so far ,i am talking multitasking while runing emulators and more scope for the user config ,something like xbmc with even more options, running media and games at the same time also having your fav instant IM client running and so on.

2,the other reason i bought a pandora was the desktop features of linux ,instant messenger ,multiformat music and movies running perfectly ,a great web browser and all the other small things like office docs and so on ,but also mainly for creation ,i have dreamed of being able to create on a handheld for a handheld and the pandora can sooo do this but right now we lack the portablility and this is where i go back to my first point about different linux users ,well i want a 3d graphics engine to create 2d and 3d games along with some media creation software all on my pandora ,mabe audacity and a full 3d graphics suite ,now if i wait for someone to give me what i want i could be waiting a long time ,i should not ask as this is a huge task ogre3d on pandora would be nice as well.

It looks like the pandora is a bit of a do it yourself or wait ,that is fair enough ,not many people have a pandora yet but it makes for something full of posibility but we need to wait and hope ,mind you the Debian arm repo is full chocoblock with software that has been ported to arm ubuntu and this is why i am trying to get ubuntu on my pandora so i no longer need to wait and new stuff is being put on the repo all the time.

As far as emulation goes ... i already said what i wanted to say.

I've had my Pandora for a few days now and have had no sleep and have drained the battery 3 times which is impressive given the 10+ hour lifespan. I can't see why there's as much negativity among those of us that have it.

At first I had a small moment of, "huh, wow... so this is it then?" after playing a few games and playing about with the OS, but it's purely due to the fact I never tried one thing long enough to truly appreciate it -I kept swapping from application to application (which is probably what a lot of us did as a response to the hype and the long waiting time for the Pandora). I think it's this mindset that's causing this boredom. When I started playing games longer, watching whole films and listening to music for a few albums is when I truly appreciated it.

I have sleep issues and usually have to lie in bed for hours to sleep, regardless of time, and usually I can't justify turning on my desktop system to watch stuff to ignore my goddamn brain (XD) and having the Pandora has helped so much. I can just grab it off my desk, launch psx4pandora and play FFVII until i'm ready to collapse from exhaustion, then just close the lid flick the power switch and sleep (and repeat if I wake up during the night :p). I used to do the same thing as a kid with a Gameboy, but the experience has been lost until now.

Due to the nature of the Pandora there's a massive back catalog of games due to the vast emulation capabilities, and it's not too difficult to buy/download Roms and ISO's (depending on your legal preference) to play around with. Saying you're bored with the Pandora at the moment is like saying that you're bored with DOS, NES, SNES, Playstation, N64 etc etc. and in which case, maybe you're just not its market?

The problem I have with threads like this, is that they're putting off the pre-orderers who haven't yet got their Pandora. I know the device isn't and won't ever be perfect, because perfection is subjective and we all have different areas of interest to focus on with the Pandora, so we all feel entitled to that area being fulfilled; but in this forum our opinions about the Pandora seem to at some collective point become fact, so a forum user reading the opinion that "the nubs are rubbish" or whatever, will elevate it to fact after reading a certain amount (or even with just one persons complaint as we're a bit paranoid around here). Since getting mine, I happen to love a lot of the aspects I'd assumed I would hate, simply because of the amount of negative feedback. The nubs for one - Mine's even a one-nub console, and I still love them. I really appreciated them earlier today when playing Wipeout 3 on psx4pandora -seamlessly swerving around the tracks curves with the nub was quite an experience :)

(sorry about the long post, the negativity started bugging me too much :p)

I'm not bored, just a bit bitter on that it messed up my sleep rhytm :p

And regarding battery life: 15+ hours on the table screen on (backlight minimum) playing internet radio over bluetooth tethering. 14:50 with me typing a forum post :p. I'm guessing that the user with 10h screen closed had wifi scanning or something else iffy going on.

I've tuned the OS to suit me already, running it from SD, fixed one bt script bug, workarounded one kernel bug and hacked+recompiled the xfce panel battery plugin. Also I've played through a few castles in A Link to the past. And I'm loving it all. And my one-nubbers nubs have started to only work better with time. I don't even know which of them was supposed to be faulty (initially right one was odd, then left one, now they're both ok) ...

Yep the battery life on the pandora is bloody amazing ,i also have had it on every day since i got it ,it has been charged and discharged many times now and i am always doing something on it ,i am not bored with it at all but my gripe is the emulation on the pandora to me at least is for want of a better word fucking shite.

I hope the pandora gets real emulation ,fullscreen high quality sound and better controls and the compatibility could be much better on some of the pandora's emulators like the amiga emulator ,i managed to get two games to work and i do know how to use it ,if i were to really point someone to the pandora to play some emulation i could only really point them to scumm and pico ,those are really nice just now ,yes they do need work but at least they do work nice.

My love hate relationship with linux is back in the form of the pandora ! i hate linux for quite a few reasons but love and adore it in many more ways ,it can be frustrating to use at times but rewarding when you get things working on it ,it is now my main hobby to learn and further advance in my linux class and what better way than on my little handheld the size of a nintendo ds ! love love love i tell ya for those that feel like me in a way about the emulation status of the pandora and kinda new to linux i suggest you mess with it ,if you break it it's easy and quick to fix unlike some other desktop distros and some other system linux installs like the ps3 omg how i spent hours all night getting that thing to so simple stuff.

Just stick with it ,the only thing that bothers me about the pandora emulation is that not many have a pandora and it will take ages before a pandora reaches the right hands for emulation to reap its rewards on this little system ,we are not talking psp or ds here ,the pandora is not going to ever be like that so the wait will be long i think and that is what really bothers me.

urjaman said:
And my one-nubbers nubs have started to only work better with time. I don't even know which of them was supposed to be faulty (initially right one was odd, then left one, now they're both ok) ...

Yeah mine seems to be similar. My left one seems to mess up with quake III, my right has issues when working in the OS as mouse buttons, and both seem to work great with Mupen64, but sometimes don't work at all :p Ah well, A few of those issues are probably software related at the moment. I think there may be difficulties with calibration, but when they work they're amazing :)

mali said:
Clean3d, just talk about it and ask. Wolfsclaw's reply is a perfect example of the helpfulness of this community :) Pandora is not only for hackers, it's for everyone.

Yes, ask, and we will try and update the wiki too - being a hacker, it can be hard to work out what the average user might be interested in sometimes.
http://pandorawiki.org/Games should be a good start.

I would much prefer having mine to play with rather than having waited another 3 months to allow the software to be more polished. Some things (like the wiki) wern't going to happen till people had them in their hands anyway. It is safe to assume that software ports and performance/batter management will improve - it is very early days at the moment. It's also important to get feedback on anything which should be improved - just don't expect it overnight!

paddy said:
but my gripe is the emulation on the pandora to me at least is for want of a better word fucking shite.
If the emulation is as utterly terrible as your choice of wording implies, if you haven't done so already, would you mind providing some information for the compatibility lists? It sounds from this very broad statement that you may be finding stuff the rest of us haven't documented.

To write it down in detail might assist at least some emulator authors, because it might point to where there are problems are cropping up.

paddy said:
my gripe is the emulation on the pandora to me at least is for want of a better word fucking shite.

I hope the pandora gets real emulation ,fullscreen high quality sound and better controls and the compatibility could be much better on some of the pandora's emulators

...the wait will be long i think and that is what really bothers me.
There goes paddy with his Entitlement Complex again.

If you can't contribute to things to make them better (eg providing proper specific non-obscene feedback to the people who provide you things for free) then perhaps you should just stfu for five minutes and stop with the "I want an OompaLoompa NOW Daddy!" routine.

Nobody owes you anything.

The curse of all portable systems is that they seem boring if you're not going anywhere.

I think Paddy is just telling it how it is. The emulators are very early ports, and I'm sure a lot of people think this. I don't think he was being spoilt or rude as such, because if you look elsewhere on the forums you can see he has been quite polite.

Paddy is just saying what Craig said, only without the diplomacy.

Prometheus said:
paddy said:
but my gripe is the emulation on the pandora to me at least is for want of a better word fucking shite.
If the emulation is as utterly terrible as your choice of wording implies, if you haven't done so already, would you mind providing some information for the compatibility lists?

Thankyou Prometheus!
@paddy- Please stop complaining about the emulation, it's been out for a month, give it a chance. Besides which, the emulation's great and there's been a lot of great work put into it. I feel bad for the guys that ported/ built these emulators if they have to read this rubbish. You are essentially insulting months of hard work by some talented people who have worked to give you something for free.

Line O said:
paddy said:
...the wait will be long i think and that is what really bothers me.
stop with the "I want an OompaLoompa NOW Daddy!" routine.

Nobody owes you anything.

+1

[Edit: @SomeGuy99: I suppose that may be one way to look at it, but even if some of the emulation is a bit primitive, I think Paddy needs to be less derogatory towards a lot of hard work]

If the emulators are so great already, why is Craig offering cash to improve them?

Same opinion, different words.

Paddy is just a passionate fella basically.

Somebody can call a peice of software terrible without any ill intent to the authors. Infact, that person probably shares the same thoughts as the original author who is still chasing the dream of optimisation: 'Man, this could be so much better!'. You can call a peice of software crap or shit, and still be grateful to the person who made it.

@Viral18: Paddy has been very friendly and polite to many of the devs around here. He also has a penchant for strong words, and well... some people are just that way inclined! The guy is from Manchester IIRC, you southern ponce ;)

SomeGuy99 said:
Somebody can call a peice of software terrible without any ill intent to the authors. Infact, that person probably shames the same thoughts as the original author who is still chasing the dream of optimisation: 'Man, this could be so much better!'. You can call a peice of software crap or shit, and still be grateful to the person who made it.

I'm not sure why, but that seemed to make some sort of sense to me XD.

I certainly agree that we shouldn't silence our honesty towards the projects (or nothing will ever get changed and improved), but I think there's a right and a wrong way of going about it, and there was a certain arrogance to paddy's tone that I think annoyed some of us :p

[Edit- He's from Manchester? That explains everything! XD]

That's the curse of internet forums. I honestly think that Paddy means well - he's just a straight talking guy with a coarse style. You Londoners are too sensitive!

SomeGuy99 said:
That's the curse of internet forums. I honestly think that Paddy means well - he's just a straight talking guy with a coarse style. You Londoners are too sensitive!

Maybe he does, but I've seen a few similarly complaining posts by him, so don't have a lot of belief there. Umm, I've been in London for less than a year, I spent most of my life in mid-Wales :p

Viral18 said:
I spent most of my life in mid-Wales :p

Now that explains everything. You have my sympathy. :D

I hope the pandora gets real emulation ,fullscreen high quality sound and better controls and the compatibility could be much better on some of the pandora's emulators like the amiga emulator ,i managed to get two games to work and i do know how to use it ,if i were to really point someone to the pandora to play some emulation i could only really point them to scumm and pico ,those are really nice just now ,yes they do need work but at least they do work nice.

It seems you read the words 'fucking shite' and saw red. The rest of the post was actually quite level and complimentary. I think you read too much into it.

B)

Back