Bored Already?

Viral18 said:
@SomeGuy99- with some settings tweaks and a high clock I can sometimes get away with running some n64 games without the sound issues.

Oh really? Do tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
SomeGuy99 said:
Oh really? Do tell.

I can do better than that:

The background noise is my cheap digital camera. Sorry I couldn't do better :s

[Edit: The settings-
Graphic settings- Frameskip=2
Audio settings- Resampling: SINC
CPU Clock- 800Mhz

I think that's it, there may have been more but I can't remember the defaults now :s]

hehe i seem to stir the big pot of shit don't i :blink:

i wrote a long bit about everything but deleted it ,can't be arsed putting my feelings across to strangers
so instead i will say yey lets sing a song and drink a bottle or 10 to the pandora ! :p

may the future be good looking

btw i am scottish and that n64 vid is amazing !

A Scotsman and a Welshman walk into a bar and want to order a pint, the barman says WHAT'S YOUR ORDER NUMBER?!

SomeGuy99 said:
A Scotsman and a Welshman walk into a bar and want to order a pint, the barman says WHAT'S YOUR ORDER NUMBER?!

Sorry to ruin it but I don't have Welsh 'blood' as such, although I am 1/4 Scottish :p

Have you given Mario 64 another go yet? If you get the sound going fine, and then use the dpad input plugin(good for us one-nubbers) then you should be able to "hit Mario 64 hard like it's 1997" :D

Prometheus said:
SomeGuy99 said:
A Scotsman and a Welshman walk into a bar
And then they said "Ouch!".

Because they had slight misunderstanding on the internet, and it nearly broke their hearts. But some guy came along and wanted everyone to be friends and enjoy life, and be happy and walk around with their heads held up high. And maybe, for one special time in history two men from different sides of the border would throw aside their differences and share in the joy of a fat italian plumber running around a little smoother.

Edit:

Yeah, but frameskip kind of butchers it. I notice the sound cuts out every so often, but might not be an emulator thing (more like a firmware thing).

Thanks for the tip though. You da man!

SomeGuy99 said:
Because they had slight misunderstanding on the internet, and it nearly broke their hearts. But some guy came along and wanted everyone to be friends and enjoy life, and be happy and walk around with their heads held up high. And maybe, for one special time in history two men from different sides of the border would throw aside their differences and share in the joy of a fat italian plumber running around a little smoother.

Edit:

Yeah, but frameskip kind of butchers it. I notice the sound cuts out every so often, but might not be an emulator thing (more like a firmware thing).

Thanks for the tip though. You da man!

Is this gonna be another epic tale? I liked the last one ^_^

I don't notice frameskip that much myself, maybe my eyes have a weird refresh rate XD. The sound does cut out every now and then, though I still deem it 'playable' as it's not often enough to be annoying or disruptive to the gameplay.

Viral18 said:
I don't notice frameskip that much myself, maybe my eyes have a weird refresh rate XD. The sound does cut out every now and then, though I still deem it 'playable' as it's not often enough to be annoying or disruptive to the gameplay.

Mine is especially playable, because my nub has a special feature which makes Mario run in random directions. I'm quite fortunate really, but it makes an already awesome gave even more challenging!

Seriously though, when I get my new unit I'm sorely tempted to play it all the way through, but... I can't help but think 'If I wait longer, this could be full speed and even more fun'.

Hmmm.

SomeGuy99 said:
'If I wait longer, this could be full speed and even more fun'.

Hmmm, might as well wait then :) I've played Mario 64 to death so only use it on my Pandora for showing off reasons. :p

I'd be interested to know how much optimization is actually possible after this release of Mupen64. AFAIK they're utilizing the hardware as well as they can, but I know almost nothing about coding emulation, so there may be some tweaks in there yet to be done. I would love to have a sizable catalog of N64 games playable on my Pandora, but I'm not holding my breath :\

Seems I'm a bit late on the reply, but I wanted to say thanks to the people who helped me after my slightly uninformed post. :)

I played some Battle for Wesnoth finally, and for the first time my focus was on winning the game instead of the fact that I'm playing on the Pandora. The technology mostly disappeared and I was able to concentrate on pounding some orcs. Thanks to you all for that.

As an artist, it's tough to see how I can contribute to the community like you folks do. However, while surfing the Pandora file archive I noticed at least one game focused on modding. Stay tuned, maybe?

Viral18 said:
@Azure- Odd, I've been playing FFVII and haven't noticed too many problems, and I know that game like the back of my hand. I'll have to play some more, I obviously wasn't paying enough attention :p
Maybe I'm just too picky (or maybe 775 mhz is too slow :p ), but there was very noticeable slowdown when moving around Sector 7 slums. I have played very little do the slowdowns & sound issues, so maybe things these are isolated incidents, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's lots of slowdowns elsewhere in the game.

EDIT: The train station with the alarms going off is also noticeably sluggish (and when fighting lots of enemies too, apparently...) :p One such minor graphical glitch is the flickering that's going on when in battle (particularly noticeable when selecting enemies to attack). Just clarifying :)

Clean3d said:
[*]The community's gotten a little elitist, IMO. There are some brilliant users who are very helpful, but my mood dropped when people started saying "the Pandora is a device for hackers and people who like to tinker... and no one else". Perhaps I'm exaggerating a little, but you get the idea. Can't casual Linux users like myself have fun too? :)
[*]Feels like I'm the only one left out. This ties into me not being a "hacker and tinkerer" ;) , but all the folks on the forums who are satisfied with the Pandora seem to magically have more software options than the average user.
Erm, i suppose i'm guilty of that, I won't take responsibility for that thought tho since you probably haven't seen my posts, and i'm not really part of the community but anyway:
the point I make is not that the Pandora is for hackers...only. My point is that the pandora ISN'T for people who run around like kindergarten children with iEverthing. It's for people who will actually try to do things themself (my interpretation!) WITHOUT relying on others to do it. I am annoyed with people that go "OMG PORT GTA4, NOW OMG" and we say it can't be done, and they say "OMG PANDORA SUCKS THEN AND WHERE'S WINDOWS.". Seriously, because of THESE PEOPLE, I wouldn't be surprised if the hardcore devs that hold the gp32/gp2x/Wiz/Pandora community don't have suicidal thoughts (I don't, btw...and I'm not a hardcore dev, nor do i own any of these devices :()
And if anyone is bored with their pandora, feel free to send it to me! i'll pay the shipping, eh? (While i'm here, anyone from Australia got a Pandora yet? no issues with the friendly(yeah) thieves in the customs depo.?)

doublebeta said:
Clean3d said:
[*]The community's gotten a little elitist, IMO. There are some brilliant users who are very helpful, but my mood dropped when people started saying "the Pandora is a device for hackers and people who like to tinker... and no one else". Perhaps I'm exaggerating a little, but you get the idea. Can't casual Linux users like myself have fun too? :)
[*]Feels like I'm the only one left out. This ties into me not being a "hacker and tinkerer" ;) , but all the folks on the forums who are satisfied with the Pandora seem to magically have more software options than the average user.
Erm, i suppose i'm guilty of that, I won't take responsibility for that thought tho since you probably haven't seen my posts, and i'm not really part of the community but anyway:
the point I make is not that the Pandora is for hackers...only. My point is that the pandora ISN'T for people who run around like kindergarten children with iEverthing. It's for people who will actually try to do things themself (my interpretation!) WITHOUT relying on others to do it. I am annoyed with people that go "OMG PORT GTA4, NOW OMG" and we say it can't be done, and they say "OMG PANDORA SUCKS THEN AND WHERE'S WINDOWS.". Seriously, because of THESE PEOPLE, I wouldn't be surprised if the hardcore devs that hold the gp32/gp2x/Wiz/Pandora community don't have suicidal thoughts (I don't, btw...and I'm not a hardcore dev, nor do i own any of these devices :( )
And if anyone is bored with their pandora, feel free to send it to me! i'll pay the shipping, eh? (While i'm here, anyone from Australia got a Pandora yet? no issues with the friendly(yeah) thieves in the customs depo.?)

That's not true, my wife that is not tech saavy in any way, was able to play succesfuly, She just asked me "where can I play Genesis?" She thinks is a little windows XP, I told her click on the menu, look for emulation, and then picodrive, 20 seconds later she was playing...

Yeah I downloaded the PND, and the roms- granted- but that is not rocket science either.

SomeGuy99 said:
Making a PND needs to be piss easy, like a Windows GUI easy. Then myself, Paddy and other eager beavers could start stockpiling the appstore at a stupid rate.
I like this idea. Maybe some of these port requests will come quicker, if that happens. Just looking through them, it seems that there are a lot of programs there which would be easy, straight ports.

P.S. I don't get this thread. Maybe it's because I'm still using my GP32 after 8 years and haven't gotten bored of it (the Pandora, when it comes, is meant to be its replacement). I buy very few gadgets, and the ones that I do buy earn their keep. I imagine that I'll be using the Pandora for at least as long.

Azure said:
One such minor graphical glitch is the flickering that's going on when in battle (particularly noticeable when selecting enemies to attack). Just clarifying :)

I get that on some clock speeds, and not on others- I have no idea why, though it may just be coincidental.

Personally I find the newer games they put out to be boring and always find myself going back to my NES...
I still don't have a pandora yet though :)
Just personal preference probably.

Back