Box86 - Linux Userspace x86 Emulator

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
1591099882634.png

Box86 is a Linux Userspace x86 Emulator with a twist: unlike other solution, this one doesn't need a full chroot environnement to works.

The software is very young, so it's still full of bugs and incomplete (or missing) features.
What you do with for now:
  • Launch a few Linux games (including Airline Tycoon Deluxe, Undertale, Not-A-Hero, Risk of Rain, HumandRessourcesMachine, WorldOfGoo,...)
  • Launch some other stuffs (like Pico8...)
  • Develop your patience
The current version is already able to correctly load most linux files, including de dependant libraries. Some will be "wrapped" and the native ARM version used (for libs like libc, libm, SDL, X11, etc...). Librairies that are C++ (like libstdc++) are not wrapped and need to be the i386 version.
What the current version doesn't implement is: a debug, and a JIT.

Airline Tycoon Delux on the Pandora

The Lack of JIT makes most games too slow to be playable for now, at least on Pandora. On some more powerfull device (like an ODroid XU4), the situation is better with some games already playable.

Bit.Trip.Runner on the ODroid XU4

I attach also a few screenshot I have done. All the screenshot came from Box86 on the Pandora, but of course, must stuff here are unplayable for now (FTL is playable, but sound is corrupted and HumanRessourceMachine has no music but quite playable)

Read more about Box86 on GiantPockets: https://www.giantpockets.com/box86-run-x86-code-and-games-on-arm/

Box86 is opensource, so contributions are welcome!

The home of box86 is here: https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86

Spread the word, contribute!

Attachments

• box86_03.png
    box86_03.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 679
  • box86_11.png
    box86_11.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 692
  • box86_14.png
    box86_14.png
    172.2 KB · Views: 743
  • box86_27.png
    box86_27.png
    188.7 KB · Views: 701
  • box86_29.png
    box86_29.png
    116 KB · Views: 737
  • box86_30.png
    box86_30.png
    12 KB · Views: 747
  • box86_37.png
    box86_37.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 757
  • box86_40.png
    box86_40.png
    111.5 KB · Views: 740
  • box86_45.png
    box86_45.png
    328.9 KB · Views: 734
  • box86_46.png
    box86_46.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 756
  • box86_48.png
    box86_48.png
    434.5 KB · Views: 722
Last edited:
Just ready.
Like "are we there yet" :p
Yes and No.
That's more of a starting point. Box86 runs, and is able to launch things. But it's not finished (hey, I only really started coding it 3 months ago, in the beginning of Decembre)

Yes and No.
That's more of a starting point. Box86 runs, and is able to launch things. But it's not finished (hey, I only really started coding it 3 months ago, in the beginning of Decembre)

I see.
And I like a lot what I see :)

I was thinking more along the lines of a shinto shrine... like ptitSeb being an all powerful spirit responsible for coding amazing stuff and being the patron of mass porters everywhere.

Yay! Thanks ptitSeb!
So how does that work? I compile it, put the executable and libs in a folder (or executables in bin and libs in lib if I understand correctly) and run
'box86 [name of the executable]'?

Is the JIT in the roadmap? (and how far down the road?)

Yay! Thanks ptitSeb!
So how does that work? I compile it, put the executable and libs in a folder (or executables in bin and libs in lib if I understand correctly) and run
'box86 [name of the executable]'?
Yeah. Check the "USAGE.md" file in the source for more detail on env var...
Is the JIT in the roadmap? (and how far down the road?)
Yes, but I would like to be sure everything runs reasonably well with the interpreter before going for a JIT (but of course, if someone make a Pull Request of a JIT, I'll accept it).

Does/will it work with WINE?
Wine is not in the scope of Box86. (I had another project in mind for Wine, but it's similar to Hangover, so not sure I'll do it one day).

I was a Kickstarter backer. I've yet to get it working in 4k but that's not really a viable option for using it for anything more than kodi anyway

Back