Breakout Box / Cradle Coming In Late December

true... the standard wifi stick juts out from the usb port. It would be awesome if there was one that was longer horizontally (could even be as long as gp2x itself) that would go directly to external port, this way the gp2x would just be taller, it wouldn't have anything protruding from it.

that may be true if the only way to use it is when it is cradled, rather than it being able to clip onto the back... however I was talking about a usb wifi stick only that would be designed in a way to fit the bottom of a gp2x

Just to join the general moaning about the non-wifi-bob:

I want one with WiFi as well! In some interview craig really made hopes by saying that they'd design something which fits behind the GP2X and only adds one inch. According to that statement it even would have integrated wifi and a keyboard.

So, what shall I say?
Let them release this if they really want but design a posh premium wifi (maybe +keyboard) version asap!!!

that may be true if the only way to use it is when it is cradled, rather than it being able to clip onto the back... however I was talking about a usb wifi stick only that would be designed in a way to fit the bottom of a gp2x

Ah, but still, if you just want something like that, why not try making something yourself?

Just to join the general moaning about the non-wifi-bob:

I want one with WiFi as well! In some interview craig really made hopes by saying that they'd design something which fits behind the GP2X and only adds one inch. According to that statement it even would have integrated wifi and a keyboard.

So, what shall I say?
Let them release this if they really want but design a posh premium wifi (maybe +keyboard) version asap!!!

I'm pretty sure that those were the specs for a BoB being made by a user here, I remember the topic, he had concept images and everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but Craig mentioned it in an old interview as well. It doesn't matter who designs it, as long as a manufacturer like me picks it up and sells it for $420.

- Alex

Why would you want WiFi and the BoB?

It adds cost, and uneeded complexity. Also USB 1.1 is sufficient for 802.11b anyways, heck the dongles are $20US or less now. (mind you Linux compatibility is spotty, but getting better I think)

The BoB BETTER power the GP2X (even with a pass-thru cable).

Otherwise there is no point to it.

I never said put WiFi on the BOB, but make a separate WiFi clip-on, as a separate product, for the many who need and want it :)

- Alex

In the vein of 'If you want to play GBA games, get a GBA': If you want WiFi email checking/word processing, get a Palm PDA... there is no way a GP2X will ever be good or practical at this sort of thing.

Then why is a psp useful for it. I can actually type pretty fast on virtual keyboard in qtopia, it would be great for instant messaging or online games in the future if someone makes a wifi dongle with easy to set up drivers designed for the gp2x.

It is a shame it only supports JTAG over the parallel port. Many new PCs like my new Intel Core 2 Duo do not have a parallel port at all, making that feature as useful as a condom to the Pope.

One more vote for the wifi/keyboard clip-on thingy. That's the only thing missing AFAIK. The BOB is not that useful to me as it's not a portability-enhancement :)

Was looking into buying a breakout box just incase I brick my gp2x myself, I am really interested in the internals, but after seeing this, I may just wait (can I be patient?)

One more vote for the wifi/keyboard clip-on thingy. That's the only thing missing AFAIK. The BOB is not that useful to me as it's not a portability-enhancement :)
The breakout box is just that. A breakout box. It takes the inputs and outputs that the GP2X exposes via the EXT interface and provides connectors for them. It does not add features.

Personally, this is what is going to push the GP2X into "perfect little machine" land for my purposes. It's going to address all the things I wanted to use my GP2X for. I'm quite happy with it docking like that, meaning I can leave the dock in my living room, extra joypads and things already hooked up, ready for action. I'm also very unconcerned about the Hi-Fi (or lack thereof) as I could never surf the web in 320x240, personally. I'd get fed up with it really quick. Especially without a mouse and keyboard.

so theres only a prototype at this stage, and gph think its going to be released late december? yeah, right.

won't pay more than £35 + p&p for this either. and even that is quite a stretch.

Personally, this is what is going to push the GP2X into "perfect little machine" land for my purposes. It's going to address all the things I wanted to use my GP2X for. I'm quite happy with it docking like that, meaning I can leave the dock in my living room, extra joypads and things already hooked up, ready for action. I'm also very unconcerned about the Hi-Fi (or lack thereof) as I could never surf the web in 320x240, personally. I'd get fed up with it really quick. Especially without a mouse and keyboard.

The docking station concept is excellent, but for people who travel a lot, the GP2x has
the potential to become an incredible companion. And for me that would need networking
(wifi + ethernet) and keyboard input. A lightweight clipon keyboard with wifi/eth0/usb would
add such an extra dimension.

Yeh, sure you could buy a $$$ pda, but hey, I already carry a mobile phone, an mp3 player
and very often a laptop. I'd love the ability to run Openoffice apps and go online from something
i could fit in my pocket, not to mention that standard networking hw+drivers could open up
all sorts of avenues for games - anyone remember the first days of networked doom or
the first time they went online from home micro?

The GP2x has the processing power and the interface already built in. Why favour a "real" pda?
h

Back