Browser problem

Okay, let me try to explain it better then: I'm trying to connect it to a router. I have tried the whole "Enable WiFi" thing, and the left light turn red. I still don't know if red means "It's on" or "It's not on" since the battery light is green, which gets me confused.
If the red LED is lit WiFi is active
I have a Pandora Classic, and I can bring up the PNDstore, but it only shows the things that I already have, and when I press ...

So let me ask if I have understood what I have to do: I have to get an internet connection, open up the PNDstore, download PNDmanager and then I will be able to do... whatever?
You have to connect to your router first. If Wifi is active, left ckick the symbol, that looks like two computer displays in your taskbar. this should give you an overview of the available WiFi networks.
Also, just as I'm writing this, I pressed toggle WiFi, and it said "Mount the PND failed. The application wont start. Please have a look at /tmp/pndrun_op_wifi.out"
Try rebooting your Pandora to see wether that solves the problem

Did you buy the Pandora from an official shop (DragonBox or Ithic) or from ebay or trade section?

If you got it from ebay or some random guy I'm wondering if It could of been one of the defective Wifi units sold for a discount..

Okay, now I am very confused... I tried again, from scratch. I restarted the Pandora, and was hoping that the connection would be up. All of a sudden, it is. So I check the PNDstore, and it shows all the items I can download that I don't have yet...

I am now installing PNDManager, and it's been doing that for about 30 minutes now.

...How did all of this happen? All of a sudden, it worked, I didn't do anything different, so why? ><

And now... It has been Installing PNDManager for 1 and ½ hour. I know it said "be patient", but this I'm starting to lose the feeling that anything is actually happening. Is it supposed to be like this?

I just checked the SD card, and under 'apps' I have "pndmanager.pnd (7.6 MB) executable", so I click on 'execute' and I get a popup saying "Failed to execute child process "/media/sdcard/pandora/apps/pndmanager.pnd" (Text file busy)." And it still says that PNDstore is installing PNDmanager

What version of the firmware do you have?. It should say when you boot up on the load screen.

Okay so you're up to date... Not sure why downloading is so slow.. it could be the wifi.. it may just be PNDstore program.. You could always download PNDManager on a laptop or desktop and copy it to the SD card.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I can't. Because none of my computers have the slot for an SD card. One does, but absolutely nothing happens when I put it in, and I can't find any trace of the PC reacting to something being plugged in.

Well you can turn on Host mode and have your computer read the SD card directly..

- First In the system tray Turn on the USB

- Then go back to the system tray and turn on USB host mode by selecting the SD card you want to share in the pull-down list..

- using a micro USB cable connect to your computer..

It will then show up as a removable drive.

Open a command prompt and type

"sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off rate 54M", that should improve your connectivity for the time being.

I remember PNDStore would occasionally stall out and never finish downloading. PNDManager also stalls occasionally but it's smart enough to automatically resume. Just keep trying.

Although your version is up to date it doesn't hurt to run the OS updater in the System menu. As TrashyMG says, there's been improvements to the wifi, some very recently that may not have warranted an entirely new release version so you may not have those.

edit: also, before we get any further, you don't run PND files directly: when they are installed properly they will appear in the menu or desktop. Installing to the "/app" directory as you are will cause it to appear on both the desktop and the menu.

Well you can turn on Host mode and have your computer read the SD card directly..

- First In the system tray Turn on the USB

- Then go back to the system tray and turn on USB host mode by selecting the SD card you want to share in the pull-down list..

- using a micro USB cable connect to your computer..

It will then show up as a removable drive.
Erm,  I'm pretty sure you don't have to enable USB host mode in order to enable SD USB Mass Storage mode.

- Neelix

^Doesn't work for me If I don't...

Although that could of been a fluke and I've been enabling everytime since, don't have my Pandora on me to confirm this.

The USB host driver handles only the full-sized USB port,   and isn't needed if you are only using the mini-USB port.

The mini-USB port is handled by the various gadget drivers.  In this case the relevant driver is loaded when you select SD USB Mass Storage mode.  (even when you are using it in host mode it is still handled by the same gadget driver as USB Networking)

Personally though I prefer to set up USB networking and access the pandora filesystem via sshftp mounted with gigolo.

- Neelix

^ I also don't have to enable USB Host Mode when I'm just using the mini USB connection - I think that's only needed when you're using the full sized USB 2.0 port.

@xPostmasteRx - What I do most of the time is download .pnd's from The Repo on my home or work PC, then drag and drop them into the appropriate subfolder(s) on my Pandora's SD card.  Hook up the mini usb cable from the Pandora into your PC, then enable "mass storage mode" on the Pandora and it should just show up as an external drive on your PC.  You should see your SD card in "my computer" - mine is SD Card/media/16GBLEXAR.  Then copy the pnds into the Pandora/menu or Pandora/apps folder.  If the Pandora is your sole computer...then disregard everything that I just said...   <_<

Edit1:   :ph34r: 'd by Neelix

I can't believe this is all over. Everything is working now, I have PNDManager and everything is responding correctly, although my internet connection seems to be poor. But after all of this struggle, I won't complain about it.

Thanks to everybody who helped here, I appreciate it immensely. This thread can finally die off now ^^

^ Congrats!  As for poor wifi connection, you should look into an inexpensive ($5-$10) usb wifi stick - if you haven't already.  It really helps when you need a little more uuumph.   ;)

Back