browser question - open in new tab

Fzero

Advanced Member
Hi, this is a question that someone might know

In newer browsers, and im talking desktop rather than mobile now.

When opening a link in a new tab, the tab inherits a "colour" from the original page.

I am wondering "where" this colour is defined, so i can set for my own sites.

Hard to explain, so, take this site for example, the openPandora Boards ... and viewed in IE.

When I click an external link, it opens it in a new tab, both the new tab and also the one containing the pandora page is a purple shade of colour.

When viewing wired.co.uk, and doing the same, opening an external link, the tabs are a yellow colour.

See what im on about?

I've noticed that FF also does this colour tab thing, so when you have say 4 tabs all which were opened from the original Pandora page, all those 4 tabs plus the main Pandora page tab are all the same shade.

I noticed that its always purple here, and Wired is always yellow ... so im sure that the browser is not auto-defining these colours - and that the web page itself defines which colour the externally linked tabs will show.

I hope you know what i mean

Anyone know where you set this colour scheming?

cheers

------------------------------------------------

[edit]

This might make more sense as to what im on about:

"If you commonly use multiple tabs, you'll particularly welcome the way IE handles them. When you open a new tab from an existing page, the new one opens directly to the right of the originating one, and both tabs are given the same color. That way, all related tabs are automatically grouped and color-coded. If you open a new tab from a page that is already part of a group, it will open at the far right of the group, rather than just to the right of the originating tab. It will also be color-coded."

[sourced: http://www.pcworld.com/article/161532/internet_explorer_8_a_complete_review.html]

Id like to know where these colour styles are defined thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a highly browser specific feature, you would have more luck asking this in the forum of the browser you are using.

Yeah I think you are right, seems to be controlled by the browsers' dev teams and five colours used for grouping. Just been reading this and the comments:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2008/09/30/ie8-tab-grouping.aspx

doesn't look like there is any control over it by site devs or browser end visitor, over than turning the Tab Grouping feature off completely as an end visitor

neh mind but cheers

Back