Bye Everyone

Awww too bad, but understandable. Best of luck to you borgqueenx and thanks for your contributions to this community the past few years.

Tot ziens.

Hope you get involved with batch 2, all the best & thanks for the many intelligent and articulate posts.

You're gonna miss a lot of hand held retro goodness though!

Its not like he's being banished, or anything.
Posting privileges are still available.
He has another "two months" to be just like most of the order holders, even after his cancellation...

Well, Borgy, given that you've made an awful lot of posts musing about cancelling over time, I'm afraid I'm not too surprised by your decision. :p

That said, I'm going to miss seeing you around here - I hope you find what you're looking for. :)

I've been thinking about canceling for the same reasons. I wanted it for this summer, seeing how I'll have little time to play it during the upcoming college semester. I'm going to hang on to it though. Might as well try it out, and if it doesn't suit me, I'll sell it for a profit :)

Interesting. I've just gone into two threads where someone says they're cancelling. The first one the poster got ripped to bits. This is pretty much the same thread and everyone's like 'Sorry to hear that, will miss you' seemingly because of the poster.

Personally I couldn't give a toss. Threads like these are self-serving wank which pollute the board no matter who starts them. Seriously, don't let the door bang you on the arse on the way out kay thx bai.

You were supposed to add something like "I'm buying an iPad instead, as it appeals more to the hardcore gamer within me"

Kaprikawn

stop dissing people who leave - there is a finite limit that most of us will wait

Mines the end of the month, others is sooner or later

borgqueenx

Is a valued member of the community, who has reached his limit and decided to cancel and then possibly re-order from second batch

Wake up and smell the roses, there are a heck of alot of us in this position who have been here since the start.

We've all contributed in some shape of form to the discussions on the pandora

Thats technology it never stays the same, it changes day to day and quite frankly waiting for something this long only makes yoy look at other things (Ipads/Android handheld tablets/netbooks Sharp IS01) and think your money will get you something usable today as opposed to something that was great and going to be here over 2 years

Wish the guy well and hope he comes back ...

I'm going to cancel by month end as well as its gone on too long ..

quartercast said:
See ya queenie, I always thought you deserved your own subforum.
lol

Anyway good luck borgqueenx. I can understand that it's not for everyone to feel this miserable as we in the queue does. It's i fine line between hope and despair. But god dammit I want a pandora more then any gadget! If you don't there's no point in waiting anymore and the right desition is canceling.

Last edited by a moderator:
kaprikawn said:
Interesting. I've just gone into two threads where someone says they're cancelling. The first one the poster got ripped to bits. This is pretty much the same thread and everyone's like 'Sorry to hear that, will miss you' seemingly because of the poster.

Personally I couldn't give a toss. Threads like these are self-serving wank which pollute the board no matter who starts them. Seriously, don't let the door bang you on the arse on the way out kay thx bai.
The tone and title of this thread are more about saying farewell to the community than about ventilating frustration towards the team. This makes a big difference.

My honest opinions follow:

nikkopt said:
-People complaining about hardware stuff.
-hardware becomes more and more out of date.

For me, this is not a valid reason to leave the boat. I'm not flaming you, it's just that you will never encounter a device that won't have hw/sw/whatever problems (the difference is that OP has such an open community/relation with us that you know every single problem that might appear, different from any other company that receive hundreds of defective devices per day and you don't even know about it). The Omap3 is not that outdated as well :p

The problem with most people canceling is that they were expecting a completely different device, competing with the DS in terms of build quality and with a stunning OS right from day one. This was never possible, not with OP's budget, not in the beginning, not by half a dozen persons involved in the project.. But the hardware is there, 3rd party developers will start to work with what they have and you will get a pretty solid rock OS in no time. Same thing with the case and other components, better ones will be made, even if they are made by other companies.

For me, the pandora came out much better than i was excpecting ;) but like i said, i'm not flaming you.. it was nice having you here ;)
The hardware problems (no, not anything to do with the aesthetics) that some of these units have are unacceptable. If you consider how long we waited for them to "tweak" it to make it "perfect", and how it's supposed to have great gaming controls and how this has always been one of Pandora's main defending points, I'm still surprised I was shipped a device with shitty controls...Well, the D-Pad isn't too bad, but its sensitivity in certain directions can be questionable at times. However, shoulder buttons are straight-up shit, and the face-buttons are stiff as hell and are uncomfortable after long gaming sessions (at least with the games I've tried, like Mega Man X4). The nubs are wonky as there's inconsistencies between them on the same unit, and calibration upon boot-up is a pain (and even then...I can't believe somebody compared them to IBM's trackpoint). And all the time spent on the hinge...I don't know about others, but my hinge is also out of whack and doesn't even snap shut or lock into an open position. It's hard to believe that this unit was considered good enough by the OpenPandora Team to be delivered to a loyal customer that has waited years. We knew the software was going to need time to mature, but I don't think any of us were expecting problems with the controls...

Don't get me wrong, I waited this long and am glad I finally got it. I still use it every day for various things (today, for example, I used it as a jukebox for my speakers as the small form factor made it more convenient to move around than my laptop). I intend to keep it, of course. But if I knew well beforehand that this was the device that was going to be shipped to me, I would have cancelled in a heartbeat.

I think it's completely understandable for people to want to "leave the boat" for these reasons. Of course, there is a possibility that the OpenPandora Team really did get their act together and all units being shipped out no longer have these problems...but knowing that the team is continually working on their quality control (and that it was this low to begin with), it may not be a bad idea to wait until batch 2 until these kinks get worked out :p

Back