Caanoo coding competition

aesir911 said:
Jan-Nik said:
quote said:
And as far as I know, GPH are still looking for devs to send units out to.
Cool, do you think they would send me one? I've written only one game for the Wiz and that was a Tetris clone :( .

crow_riot should definitely get one! Did I mentioned that your Guitars on Fire port is awesome? But GPH could be afraid that it's better than Rhythmos :D

just win one of the contests on facebook, they are pretty easy to win.

i'm anti-social-network ;) - i dont have an account on any of those social network sites. the chance of winning a caanoo will not convince me signing up. anyway, i'll order a caanoo when i feel to do so, i dont depend on GPHs generosity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nova said:
To all who messaged me:
I got a reply from Tony Han just now. Hm.
For the sample for the developers we will have to wait for that.
I can not give more samples as I am exceeded.
But if those two developers could join our Face Book and try to give as much support as possible maybe I can pick them as a great supporter of the Caanoo and send them a free sample.
I think that will be the best way for us to start.
What do you think about this?
Let me know your ideas
It's very annoying and the complete wrong way to be doing things. For a while now, GPH has been giving out consoles to average joes on Facebook who have been jumping through silly hoops to obtain them; "Oh look at me, I'm your biggest fan GPH". And they're completely ignoring the people who will be creating the most content for the console. Ridiculous.
I'll reply to him and let him know I think that randomly selecting people on Facebook is a massive waste of their money and a waste of potential.
Oh wow. I was getting rather annoyed at his silly little Facebook competitions, but now even more so at the fact that he seems seem to give them preference over sending out dev units.
For anyone who doesn't know, Tony holds a 'competition' on the Facebook discussion board (which now consists of about 7 regular members). The winner of this competition gets a Caanoo. For example, in the lastest one, he asked contestants (of which there have been 10) to explain the 'meaning' of Caanoo. You win by getting votes. A couple of people basically rigged it by getting 60+ of their friends on Facebook to vote for them. Bear in mind that none of these friends have any interest in GPH or the Caanoo. This is not where free Caanoos should be going.
Then again, maybe Tony gets given ~20 Caanoo dev units and ~20 prize units to give out, and the dev units have run out.

Well, Caanoos that Tony promised for Facebook Quiz or competitions aren't Caanoo pre-production samples, but he'll send (perhaps) a Caanoo Standard pack after its launch

Caanoo samples were sent to distributors, supporters/reviewers (such as openxile, me, Laurent Blogue http://blog.jeux.video.free.fr/?p=11703 ) and devs (Pickle, Franxis, SpliterGU and I dunno who else).

Maybe these were only a hundred of samples and many samples will have been sent to Korean people/companies.

Unluckly, GPH aims more to gain free advertisement rather than devs support :(
(although I understand first of all they must sell Caanoos).

Nova said:
It's very annoying and the complete wrong way to be doing things. For a while now, GPH has been giving out consoles to average joes on Facebook who have been jumping through silly hoops to obtain them; "Oh look at me, I'm your biggest fan GPH". And they're completely ignoring the people who will be creating the most content for the console. Ridiculous.

I'll reply to him and let him know I think that randomly selecting people on Facebook is a massive waste of their money and a waste of potential.
Hmmm... that is a bit of a downer as it would seemingly put me out of the running for a dev unit before I was even in it ;-) I guess GPH figure handing out hardware to random Facebook users (who will presumably then be promoting the device to their "friends") will win them more sales than giving that same hardware to developers. It's a shame because all these potential users are simply going to have less software to run on their shiny new consoles.

crow_riot said:
i'm anti-social-network ;) - i dont have an account on any of those social network sites. the chance of winning a caanoo will not convince me signing up. anyway, i'll order a caanoo when i feel to do so, i dont depend on GPHs generosity.
Same here - you'd have to give me a lot more than a $150 console to get me to sign up on Facebook ;-)

SteveM said:
Nova said:

Hmmm... that is a bit of a downer as it would seemingly put me out of the running for a dev unit before I was even in it ;-) I guess GPH figure handing out hardware to random Facebook users (who will presumably then be promoting the device to their "friends") will win them more sales than giving that same hardware to developers. It's a shame because all these potential users are simply going to have less software to run on their shiny new consoles.

crow_riot said:
Same here - you'd have to give me a lot more than a $150 console to get me to sign up on Facebook ;-)

you don't have to use your real identity... like on here for instance. there are some contests with guessing, not hacking and creating multiple profiles.

Now this seems a bit off topic for this thread, but as far as what could be achieved through an emulator coding competition. I think some low hanging fruit would be to improve the C64 and Amiga emulation. There is some open source work on them for PC in 64forever and Amigaforever. If those 2 worked more easily then Wiz/Caanoo would be more interesting to a different kind of classic gamer. A nice tight Dosbox style project might also increase interest from the same market.

With the psx emulator for wiz already out and I would think a Caanoo port coming the biggest emulator has pretty much already been done. Still, I guess some devs would want to make the most polished emulator possible for a contest so maybe it could work its just that an emulator contest sounded weird at first.

I don't think there is a problem with giving out a couple Caanoo units to facebook users. Anyone that tries to win the contest and doesn't will want one more and its a decent marketing strategy as long as they don't give out too many units that way. I've been following their facebook and have only seen maybe 2 such contests.

I do agree that free units are best given to devs but they just need to express their interest to gph. Giving a unit to a dev who has no real interest in coding for the device is probably more useless than giving it out on facebook where that user has a good chance to post about and and increase exposure for the device.

jbrodack said:
I've been following their facebook and have only seen maybe 2 such contests.

they've given out 3 so far, and are working on the 4th.

jbrodack said:
I do agree that free units are best given to devs but they just need to express their interest to gph. Giving a unit to a dev who has no real interest in coding for the device is probably more useless than giving it out on facebook where that user has a good chance to post about and and increase exposure for the device.

I contacted GPH with the names of Developers who were interested in providing content for the Caanoo but otherwise wouldn't be able to afford one (a lot of developers are either students or have families to provide for). Apparently though, random people deciphering the console's name is a lot more worthy of a unit.

Back