Caanoo Cover Problem Solved

RZZ

Still Fresh
As promised I disassembled my Caanoo to solve hidden pixels problem

Not only upper side of the cover hides 4 pixls rows, but left and right cover sides, hides 1 or 2 pixel columns

I will use this pic for my tests:

As you can see in these pics (thanks to Angelina Jolie for posing)

if you look at caanoo with right eye only, you can see left red border (I refere to test pic) only,
if you look at caanoo with left eye only, you can see right red border only,

With both eyes you can see both sides, but not both eyes can see both red borders at the same time, you can think this is not a great matter, but is annoying !

Moreover angles are too mouch rounded, so gray pixels in angles cannot be seen.

Let's solve these problems:

These are the tools I'm going to use:

1 - remove 4 screws on back side, then remove back cover starting from bottom side

2 - remove these 4 screws:

3 - remove lateral cover:

4 - remove these 3 screws, then remove display:

5 - still works.... ;) :

6 - Remove remove the plastic inside the blue square, using sandpaper and a sharp blade for angles:

7 - like this:

8 - re-assembled.... not bad

test:

before:

after:

before:

after:

finally I can see all caanoo's pixels !!!! B)

BUT: :huh:

as you can see, top angles of display suffers bad quality pixels, both in color and shape, maybe wrong sized cover was done on purpose to hide this problem, what do you think?

That's very interesting, I was thinking of doing exactly this on my Caanoo too, but am wondering how many devs will simply adapt their programs to cater for the Caanoo's loss of edge pixels. I know Ruckage is already doing so, and I will do the same.

Thanks for documenting it all, it was a very informative post :)

Clare.

thanks

I played Puzsion and SOD, and they are adapted, but mame games @320x240 aren't

I don't think adapting games is a solution, soon or later a new caanoo release with good cover will be released, I hope :)

RZZ said:
I don't think adapting games is a solution, soon or later a new caanoo release with good cover will be released, I hope :)

That's what I think (and hope), too. 320 x 240 is few enough, not one pixle to waste, IMHO.
For me this is quite a point to wait a little longer to see if GPH is willing to take care of this at all. :unsure:

BTW, thanks for this cool documentation.

kasi

Last edited by a moderator:
nice, but i don't think i'd want to take a knife and sandpaper to it. are gph aware of the problem? do they have any plans to rectify it?

gibberish said:
nice, but i don't think i'd want to take a knife and sandpaper to it. are gph aware of the problem? do they have any plans to rectify it?

GPH Fixing something they've done wrong? Good luck with that...

Nice mod RZZ:)

Since i'm to lazy to open my Cannoo, can you tell me if the Screen Bezel is removable or is it part of the Case?
If it is removable, i would try to make my own Bezel and leave the original untouched, in case something goes wrong.

Thanx

Lithium337 said:
Nice mod RZZ:)

Since i'm to lazy to open my Cannoo, can you tell me if the Screen Bezel is removable or is it part of the Case?
If it is removable, i would try to make my own Bezel and leave the original untouched, in case something goes wrong.

Thanx

Screen bezel is part of the case, cannot be temoved

Tux.King said:
So... if I played cross-eyed, would this still be necessary? :lol:

:lol: :lol:
you should have told before disassembling !
I wasted my time :lol:

So how do you feal about it now? is it an improvment,. or do you get light bleeding in from the back light?? I am considering doing the same for emu/apps but those messed up pixels on the corners concern me,. . do tell.

I was thinking about doing this when I recieve my Caanoo. What did you use to make sure the cuts were straight? What are the exact measurements of the pieces removed? It looks about 4 millimeters on top and about 2 millimeters on the other three sides. Is this about right?

jph_iterationGAMES said:
So how do you feal about it now? is it an improvment,. or do you get light bleeding in from the back light?? I am considering doing the same for emu/apps but those messed up pixels on the corners concern me,. . do tell.

I feel satisfied !, when I play emus I can't notice messed up pixels
The same for brighter lines of pixels on the lower part (and after removed, higher part) of the screen, you can't see them

Orion4874 said:
I was thinking about doing this when I recieve my Caanoo. What did you use to make sure the cuts were straight? What are the exact measurements of the pieces removed? It looks about 4 millimeters on top and about 2 millimeters on the other three sides. Is this about right?

I used the cutter only to remove rounded shape from angles, is too hard use a blade to make a straight cut all along the surface.

is much easier revove the plastic using the sand paper. Instead of pressing the sand paper directly with your fingers, I suggest to press with a piece of plastic (of the same dimension of the cover to remove), so the pressure will be the same on the whole surface of the paper, and you will obtain a straight surface

This was not easy to explain, since mi eng in no good, I hope you can understand :rolleyes:

I think little less then 2mm on sides, 3mm on top, but is not a problem to remove more, since the display has o big frame around

Cool. Thanks for posting all this info. I think I will also go for it,. don't like to see (not see!) hidden pixels. At the same time while I have the unit open I will try to do something about the light leak on the power LED, I got a white Caanoo and I don't like the way the light glows throught the front around the LED. Anyone got a suggestion for how to cover this? I am thinking of just cutting some electrical tape to fit.

gibberish said:
are gph aware of the problem? do they have any plans to rectify it?

Yes, they are. There's a warning about this on their Development Guide.

Back