Can't install hotfix5 and other problems

Xenu

Hi I got my Pandora a few days ago and I absolutely love it! I will write a review soon. I can't praise you enough for this amazing device. Thank you!

I have a few problems that I hope OP-team and the community could help me with:

1)Can't install hotfix

I've downloaded hotfix5 and put it on a SD card. But it doesn't seem to run. I double click it with the stylus, mark it and press enter or right click and choose run. It doesn't matter nothing happens.

2)Can't remember password

Silly enough I can't seem to remember my password so I can't run any sudo commands, is there an easy way to change it?

3)Wifi doesn't seem to work

I'm hoping this will be solved by installing hotfix...

4)Missing things

When my pandora arrived I didn't get the sexy battery case. I ordered an extra battery so I did expect at least one battery case (but preferably 2). Also one of the "rubber dots" on the inside of the screen was missing, no big deal but it would be nice to have. Would it be possible to get those missing items in the tv-out cable shipment. I don't need them now so I can wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
All applications (including the Hotfix 5 installer, if you downloaded it as a PND) must be launched by going into the Start menu (or whatever the Pandora equivalent is). Do you have the following folders set up?

>pandora

Inside that...

>apps

>menu (Shows in the "Start" menu; this is where you want most programs)

>desktop (Shows on the desktop)

1)Can't install hotfix

I've downloaded hotfix5 and put it on a SD card. But it doesn't seem to run. I double click it with the stylus, mark it and press enter or right click and choose run. It doesn't matter nothing happens.
http://pandorawiki.org/Introduction_to_PNDs

;)

2)Can't remember password

Silly enough I can't seem to remember my password so I can't run any sudo commands, is there an easy way to change it?
Not without knowing the password. You can reflash to factory default settings and start over, this time remembering your password. :p

3)Wifi doesn't seem to work

I'm hoping this will be solved by installing hotfix...
Need more details.

4)Missing things

When my pandora arrived I didn't get the sexy battery case. I ordered an extra battery so I did expect at least one battery case (but preferably 2). Also one of the "rubber dots" on the inside of the screen was missing, no big deal but it would be nice to have. Would it be possible to get those missing items in the tv-out cable shipment. I don't need them now so I can wait.
You want my battery case? I never use it :p

My rubber dots keep falling off. Once it fell off and got stuck wedged in with the Fn key. Took a while to get it out. I then promptly stuck it back where it belongs, so this'll probably happen again in the near future. You may be better off without them.

Thanks I didn't know that about the hotfix. I just asumed you could run it like an exe-file in windows. I'm going to try it now.

About the password, can you on boot-up get into shell? That way you should be able to try 'passwd username' or something to reset password?

Edit: found out you actually need your password to install hotfix :) . Trying to see if I can enter shell on boot-up...

Edit2: tried to get into shell by pressing del, esc and all f-keys but that doesn't seem to work. This is linux so it should be doable? I'm giving up for now and hoping someone can help me. I really don't wan't to reflash the thing just because I forgot my password. Now I'm of playing Megaman 2!

There is no way to change your password without your (or at least root) password.

What you could do is create a second account, use sudo to promote to super user and change your first accounts password.

It's just easier (and probably faster) to reflash.

As far as the shell is concerned, it's on the first serial port which we don't have access to without the EXT connectors. Someone did work out a way to get to a non-graphical shell via the regular alt-ctrl-F1 thing, but I can't remember where. Wouldn't do any good anyway since it would just bring you to a login prompt, and you can't log in without your password :p

edit: or by "shell" do you just mean an xterm? It's at the top of the XFCE menu, "Terminal". That'll get you a command line. Still can't change your password though.

Back