Caved

korky

Still Fresh
Oh well I caved, waiting this long for my Pandy has taken its toll. Today I will receive my N900 and will use this until my shiny Pandora arrives, looks pretty much the same as a Pandy HW wise so at least I will get a feel of what is to come......

BaDToaD said:
korky said:
looks pretty much the same as a Pandy HW wise

:blink:

guess he means almost the same processor/ram which is true (it use a similar OMAP 3430 vs 3530, the major difference being that the 3430 support some things needed for phones, but using the same set of cpu & dsp at same frequency)

but that's quite a tiny part of the hardware :) controls are rather hardware i'dd say...

Last edited by a moderator:
Elwing said:
BaDToaD said:
korky said:

guess he means almost the same processor/ram which is true (it use a similar OMAP 3430 vs 3530, the major difference being that the 3430 support some things needed for phones, but using the same set of cpu & dsp at same frequency)

but that's quite a tiny part of the hardware :) controls are rather hardware i'dd say...

I love my n900 but do have to say it's not the best for playing games on - was playing mario on the SNES emulator last night and found it a bit of a challenge with a tiny keyboard. It's brilliant for scummvm though and accelerometer games will be good (download Bounce for a really good demo of the sort of graphics you'll get out of this chip). Korky check out maemotalk website if you havn't been there before.

goonaman said:
Elwing said:
BaDToaD said:
korky said:

I love my n900 but do have to say it's not the best for playing games on - was playing mario on the SNES emulator last night and found it a bit of a challenge with a tiny keyboard. It's brilliant for scummvm though and accelerometer games will be good (download Bounce for a really good demo of the sort of graphics you'll get out of this chip). Korky check out maemotalk website if you havn't been there before.

Will do, thanks for the heads up. Wasn't really wanting the n900 for games, but you can use a wii controller; should be good for some snes action on trips away from home as you can plug the beast into a TV too o;).

goonaman said:

Seconded.

Ive had an Android and an Iphone already, I like the look of the OS and what it lets you do; it is a bit rough around the edges but Nokia seem to be knocking out updates left right and centre. The Skype integration looks good too. The fact that it shares lots of aspects with the Pandora also helped, there should be lots of cross porting between the two devices, more on the apps side than games I suppose.

I'm wanting the Pandora for the games side of things so using n900 just makes me want the Pandora even more! The n900 is fantastic for checking out webpages wherever you are through 3G - was traveling on train last night checking out the football scores and a couple of other websites. The multi-tasking is great just being able to switch really quickly between loads of programs. Might be a good idea to download all OS updates before any software and there is supposed to be another big update very soon. There's lots of in-development software but it can sometimes cause problems. Anyway enjoy messing around with it when it arrives!

goonaman said:
I'm wanting the Pandora for the games side of things so using n900 just makes me want the Pandora even more! The n900 is fantastic for checking out webpages wherever you are through 3G - was traveling on train last night checking out the football scores and a couple of other websites. The multi-tasking is great just being able to switch really quickly between loads of programs. Might be a good idea to download all OS updates before any software and there is supposed to be another big update very soon. There's lots of in-development software but it can sometimes cause problems. Anyway enjoy messing around with it when it arrives!

That's all good stuff but nothing the Droid can't do... The Droid has an OMAP 3430 too doesn't it? Which would mean the performance would be the same as the N900?
The Nexus one looks sweet spec wise but is very expensive and has no qwerty keyboard....

God... this is hard decission making :)

Maemo looks a bit more flexible than Android, but its hard to tell prior to using it. Maybe someone else can comment? As for the pandy replacing the n900 in many respects yes, but as a phone obviously not, only getting it is a free upgrade to my existing phone, so thought why not try something new ;o)

I'd say that the Maemo OS is a lot more flexible than Android. It's basically a full Debian linux system rather than being based on the Linux kernel and using a Java virtual machine. The n900 is fantastic for hacking around with and there is a lot of free software you can get through repositories. It feels like you can customise Maemo and add features, mess around more. I'd say it feels more like a portable Linux computer than Android which is a more restricted system. That being said it's a little bit rough at the moment but rapidly developing and I think there's a lot more potential for it

I can run OpenOffice 3 on it and a full LXDE desktop as an example
I also like feeling that the device is 'mine' and i can mess around with it - Nokia seems a lot more open with how you use your device (got a thing about google having too much access to information)
I think it complements the Pandora quite nicely and i've got at least two pockets usually!

My decision was based on the fact that Maemo 5 is a full linux desktop with access to all resources with any programming language and not some restricted hack based on linux with restricted programmability and restricted resources :). I've never used android, but based on what I've read, I'm not really interested in it at all.

I couldn't decide between N900 and HTC Hero. In the end I opted for the Hero as the owning the Pandora means I would have the best of both worlds.

However, I wish I'd bought the N900 now. To do anything fun on the Hero (run c++ programs compiled for it) it seems you have to hack the damn thing (root it, oo-er). I'm too scared to do this right now.

Go for N900, I would tell anyone who's into hacking linux. As far as normal phone usage goes the Hero is very nice indeed and probably better than the N900.

Alerino said:
goonaman said:
I can run OpenOffice 3 on it and a full LXDE desktop as an example
I also like feeling that the device is 'mine' and i can mess around with it - Nokia seems a lot more open with how you use your device (got a thing about google having too much access to information)
I think it complements the Pandora quite nicely and i've got at least two pockets usually!

the lack of a linux version of Nokia PC Suite kinda irritated me over the years. Still, Pandora + my E71 will be a great pair.
That's my setup too, I'm hoping to do some cool synergistic crap between Pandora and my phone. Keep an eye out for it :)

Well, although I'm not scared of trying out stuff like installing custom shells (in windows) and writing scripts, I'm not a Linux hacker at all.
I like open source software and can't stand not being able to do something I want (IPhone)... Still think the N900 is the best choice for me?

I looked at the E71 real quick and wasn't all that impressed by it, why would that and a pandora be a great pair?

Miner49er said:
I couldn't decide between N900 and HTC Hero. In the end I opted for the Hero as the owning the Pandora means I would have the best of both worlds.

However, I wish I'd bought the N900 now. To do anything fun on the Hero (run c++ programs compiled for it) it seems you have to hack the damn thing (root it, oo-er). I'm too scared to do this right now.

Go for N900, I would tell anyone who's into hacking linux. As far as normal phone usage goes the Hero is very nice indeed and probably better than the N900.

Rooting the HTC Hero is easy. Go to XDA forums - http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=512

If you install a custom firmware, make sure you install one that is using Android 2.1 w/ Sense UI. That way you can use the latest google apps (like Navigation) and have a browser w/ flash.

I have a G1, and I'm currently using the HERO firmware on it. I love sense UI. Oh..the good thing about rooting your phone is that you can turn it into a 3G WiFi router - http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ This way you can connect your pandora to your phone.

If you need any help, let me know.

Jason

Back