Cebit Video

^ As I understand it, it's the price _they_ pay, so add something on top for VAT, shipping, whatever. I plan to ask if it's possible to ship second batch Pandoras with different keymat already built in, but I don't think it's the right time for this discussion, yet.

Subtitles?

I'm native german, but I'm a bad english speller, maybe elementary English.
But nevertheless I started making some subtitles.
I downloaded the first video from youtube via the Firefox Add-On DownloadHelper. I've choosen the HQ22 Video. The file is named CeBIT__EvilDragon_spricht__ber_OpenSource-Spiele-Handhelds_auf_der_LinuxHotel-B_hne_-_Teil_1.mp4 it's 147159983 bytes in Size and its md5sum is 9bf83f1a84a22a35e2f09af4ce05e153. I made a mplayer subtitle file for the first 80 Seconds of the Video. I uploaded the File to:
http://der-he.de/CeBIT__EvilDragon_spricht__ber_OpenSource-Spiele-Handhelds_auf_der_LinuxHotel-B_hne_-_Teil_1.sub

If I play the video with mplayer and the sub-file resides in the same Directory, the subtitles are shown fine.

If someone is interested, I can do my best for the rest of the video...

btw: Someone else working on it?

PS: you can use any other video download tool. AFAIK you can even use other quality videos, as long as the timestamps are the same. But I do not know if the format is mplayer specific. But if this is the case I can convert the sub file.

Awakening said:
ED:
How about doing an audio only version in English and release it as an mp3? Should be way less work then subs.

+1

Last edited by a moderator:
Its times like this that I wish I spoke German. Good on ED for sharing the information with the world on such a public platform. The more aware of this device the public is, the more it will likely be supported. I KNOW this device is gonna be successful! Videos like these make my heart race!

dflemstr said:
Eternalodyssey said:
Its times like this that I wish I spoke German.
It's not that difficult to learn, actually, if you're dedicated enough. You should try it some time!

English, Python and a little Dutch are enough for me. :)

dflemstr said:
Eternalodyssey said:
Its times like this that I wish I spoke German.
It's not that difficult to learn, actually, if you're dedicated enough. You should try it some time!
It's much harder to learn then English. I'm from Sweden and my English is quite good but I didn't do very well on those classes in German. Grammatically German differs a lot from English, Swedish have some more in common with German but English have less rules etc to learn so it's easier. English is probably easier to learn then Swedish.

So, were these videos subtitled in English? The front page of gp32x.de indicates that Fishbong created a thread stating that the videos were subtitled in English, but I can't access the thread (because it was deleted?)...

Azure said:
So, were these videos subtitled in English? The front page of gp32x.de indicates that Fishbong created a thread stating that the videos were subtitled in English, but I can't access the thread (because it was deleted?)...
None that I know of, apart from the snippet from hede a few posts back.

That's weird about Fishbong's thread. I thought it might have been merged somewhere so I searched his posts, but no mention of the video. Maybe it's in the news forum awaiting approval or something?

Hello,
you can't access my thread because i posted it in the news section and it isn't unlocked/moved to another section by the mods yet. I hope you enjoy my subtitles. There are some things ED said that i think weren't mentioned up to now, so i thought it would warrant a translation.
EDIT: I didn't realize hede was attempting the same thing. I wonder if he's still on it?
EDIT2: Evildragon, if you are reading this, i posted the videos as video responses to your respective videos, so please visit your youtube account and unlock them so they can be found easier.

Thanks for your work on these Fishbong. :) I think hede is just making .sub files, your videos are much easier to share. I'll post them on the blog. :) Do you plan on doing more parts? (I'll understand if you don't of course, it's not a trivial task).

urjaman said:
Awakening said:
English is probably easier to learn then Swedish.
You have no idea.
Depends :)
I am German and I have learned English rather early in school (5th year).
I have learned Swedish (in recent years) and it is of course harder then English, however, knowin gEnglish well and being a German native speaker is the Key for grasping Swedish quick. Some words are either similar to English or to German. However, there are of course some which are quite different. And the thing with the article (in english "the" or "a") is appended to teh end of a noun ("-en") in Swedish. Interesting, but it neeeds time to get used to :)

Back to the sub topic: I was told that German is the most difficult to learn language in Europe. Don't know if that is true.

I don't know about that, I thank the Fates that English speaking countries pioneered CompSci and the Internet infrastructure so that I didn't need to learn another language. (selfish I know)

Senorgomez: Actually it is really good even for non-English speakers too. English is pretty simple language if You need basis only. I mean that in English non-native speaker can get good understanding with little effort and relatively quickly. Yes English is not so easy if someone want learn it really good and deep. But if You compare it with Czech or German language, You need much more effort and time to learn basis, sentences construction, word shaping and all those diacritics. I Czech we often let out of pronouns and articles because we can get gender from shape. Heh, I often fighting with articles in English due to their non-using in Czech. :) And in Czech or German things have gender too which is weird for foreigners.

Back