Changing The Timing On The Pandora Button

Pleng

Is there any way to change the timeout on the Pandora button? The one that decides if you've done a quick press or a hold-down?

I currently have to press and let go at near light-speed to actually get the menu as opposed to the process killer :(

Oh! The Pandora button DOES bring up a menu? I guess I need to try it again. Faster.

Once we figure that out, it'd be fun to look into remapping the Pandora button. Maybe into a custom little menu app. Something that would make efficient use of the hardware buttons (arrows, dpad, shoulders) and/or provide great big buttons for clumsy fingers on the touchscreen.

Awesome, thanks. Will have a look when I get my Pandora back.

Well I checked on my Pandora freshly updated with hotfix 3 and it was set to 1 second. I've changed it to a much more sensible 4 seconds and haven't had an 'accident' since :)

Funny you should mention that. Mine was set up so that it was impossible to access the process killer. It would automatically run the script after one second. And the script only brought up the process killer after two seconds. :huh:

HF3 here, btw.

Hmm that sounds like an issue with your Pandora button. The script (process manager) is set up, as far as I can tell, to run after the button has been pressed down for a finite amount of time (1 second). If you are always getting the XFCE menu rather than process manager then something is preventing your Pandora button from 'sticking'

No, it was definitely a software problem. I changed the script to 4 seconds and the now I can use the process killer.

If it helps, I reflashed the entire nand instead of using the hotfix.

you know what, it must have been the placebo effect. Changing the timing in that script made no difference whatsoever. Ive even set it to a ridiculous figure and still the process killer comes up sometimes and the menu at others. Sometimes I can hold the pandora button down for a reasonably long time and the menu will still pop up, at other times I just tap it and get the process killer. It appears to be totally random. I wonder is there perhaps some kind of background process interrupting the timer??

I'm thinking people are looking in the wrong place...

In /usr/pandora/scripts/op_menu.sh
Code:
if [ "$1" -ge "2"]; then # button was pressed 3 secs or longer

The number in /etc/pandora/conf/eventmap is the time to wait after button down to call the script. The script is also called at button up. My guess is that the eventmap number needs to be greater than the threshold used by the script to determine the correct action (otherwise $1 will always be 1 sec, if the script is forcibly called after 1 sec)

NB: I have 2 in here because I was that was changed in the GIT. You may have 1, which would also not help.

It was originally 1, but that was too fiddly; I put somethign into GIT ages back, which probably came in for hf#2 or hf#3; it should work great now :)

The one ot change is definately the op_.sh script, not the eventmap; the eventmap conf specifies what to do when an event occurs; for a keypress, it says what to do on a key-up. The optional argument specifies a timeout, so if the key is being held, it'll call the script anyway, after a short time, so that you can have it bring up a menu while still being held. (ie: it proved annoying that if the behaviour woudl change at 3sec, then you had to hold 3+ sec but would not know when 3sec had passed, so you'd hold for 5+ sec and then release; with the timeout, you hold and as soon as the timeout is hit, it calls the script anyway.,

But what the script does depends on the stuff in the script. 2sec shoudl be plenty fine, works every time for me when I press the button to bring up the menu and not the pnd-killer function. *shrug* Maybe it didn't get included in hotfix? I think it did..

jeff

tsh said:
I'm thinking people are looking in the wrong place...

In /usr/pandora/scripts/op_menu.sh
Code:
if [ "$1" -ge "2"]; then # button was pressed 3 secs or longer

NB: I have 2 in here because I was that was changed in the GIT. You may have 1, which would also not help.

Yea I had 1 in mine (running hotfix 3 here). I have changed it to 3 and it appears to work just fine :)

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix said:
It was originally 1, but that was too fiddly; I put somethign into GIT ages back, which probably came in for hf#2 or hf#3; it should work great now :)
I think it got changed, then overwritten, and is now (hf#4) fixed but not released.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope; vimacs checked in in Feb, I changed it in May and June.

No one else has touched it; if they think they did, they're incorrect :) But what they've done on their own machine, thats their business :)

http://git.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=pandora-libraries.git;a=history;f=testdata/scripts/op_menu.sh;h=7ed36c8896130cc0b26b4eefcb2e6cf726082e22;hb=c1584c727555ca27b94fb6d31155a31f84f979be

jeff

Back