Closed Source Ports

Gruso said:
No probs. I'll keep a keen eye on this thread.
Heh... Glad to hear it... NDA's all that needs to be done at this point- we've got royalties, etc. squared away (and he was more gracious than I'd been to myself... :D) and it'll move from merely the "maybe" to the "going to happen" list. I'm reviewing it here in a bit and I don't envision him being unreasonable on it any more than he was with the royalties deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
At fanfest 2008 Oveur of CCP Games mentioned that they would pick up th eve-mobile project again after it was cancelled in 2007.
I for one am a big Eve-online fan and would love to see a port of eve or eve-mobile on the panda :) Think it's possible at all? Eve is already ported to mac and linux and the mobile project was java afaik.
Who would be the person to contact CCP Games about this?

http://www.eve-online.com

Snippit out of a 2006 dev-blog:

EVE Classic, EVE Vista, EVE Mobile?

Yes, that's right. A client strategy is being molded, where we will be able to have different interfaces to the universe of EVE. "EVE Mobile" is probably a misnomer for the client shown at E3. "EVE Lite" would perhaps be more appropriate, since the E3 client is only a PDA client, for Windows Mobile 5 and has nothing to do with mobile phones.

EVE Lite is our way of providing a simplified client with a core set of functionality which does not necessarily require a 3D interface to use. Think EVE mail, Chat, Market, Assets, upcoming Contracts, Corporation Management and so forth. You'll be able to do a lot of things without having to have a laptop.

The reason we started with Windows Mobile 5 as a platform is because it was very similar to what we do inhouse, it's quite easy to work with and Microsoft helps us out a lot. However, the server-side groundwork opens up possibilities for other clients to be written.

Which ones? I don't know. Personally, I'd like to be able to check my contracts and train a skill on my Xbox 360 between playing Oblivion and PGR. Or on my smartphone. My PSP? DS? At work on my EVE Lite PC client? ("Uhm, this is the newest MSN messenger ... it has a market ... and stuff ..."). Let your imagination go wild. I know mine is. I'm thinking voice chat with my Directors in-game via my EVE PC Lite. :)

Internet spaceships are serious business! B)

Gruso said:
No probs. I'll keep a keen eye on this thread.
Gruso...go for mentioning it as a maybe. NDA's signed and on it's way back to Elecorn. Final contracts being drafted for pay schedule for the formal part of this.

Eight Bit said:
At fanfest 2008 Oveur of CCP Games mentioned that they would pick up th eve-mobile project again after it was cancelled in 2007.
I for one am a big Eve-online fan and would love to see a port of eve or eve-mobile on the panda :) Think it's possible at all? Eve is already ported to mac and linux and the mobile project was java afaik.
Who would be the person to contact CCP Games about this?

http://www.eve-online.com

Snippit out of a 2006 dev-blog:

EVE Classic, EVE Vista, EVE Mobile?

Yes, that's right. A client strategy is being molded, where we will be able to have different interfaces to the universe of EVE. "EVE Mobile" is probably a misnomer for the client shown at E3. "EVE Lite" would perhaps be more appropriate, since the E3 client is only a PDA client, for Windows Mobile 5 and has nothing to do with mobile phones.

EVE Lite is our way of providing a simplified client with a core set of functionality which does not necessarily require a 3D interface to use. Think EVE mail, Chat, Market, Assets, upcoming Contracts, Corporation Management and so forth. You'll be able to do a lot of things without having to have a laptop.

The reason we started with Windows Mobile 5 as a platform is because it was very similar to what we do inhouse, it's quite easy to work with and Microsoft helps us out a lot. However, the server-side groundwork opens up possibilities for other clients to be written.

Which ones? I don't know. Personally, I'd like to be able to check my contracts and train a skill on my Xbox 360 between playing Oblivion and PGR. Or on my smartphone. My PSP? DS? At work on my EVE Lite PC client? ("Uhm, this is the newest MSN messenger ... it has a market ... and stuff ..."). Let your imagination go wild. I know mine is. I'm thinking voice chat with my Directors in-game via my EVE PC Lite. :)

Internet spaceships are serious business! B)

from the dev's that i nou(at ccp in Reykjavik) they say it is nowhere reedy
and i don't thing the pandora has a big enof user base

Eniko said:
I'm sure EVE for Pandora will be out right after station walkabouts and planetary flight. >_>
Why do you need EVE? We'll have OpenOffice Base!

Once we have some CNC case prototype videos it might be worth showing some of these companies the videos and seeing what they then think.

It could make all the difference.

Eight Bit said:
Openoffice doesn't satisfy my internet spaceship addiction ;)
i don't think you got the joke

craigix said:
Once we have some CNC case prototype videos it might be worth showing some of these companies the videos and seeing what they then think.

It could make all the difference.

Absollollolutely. Cortex Command, Lugaru, Cortex Command, Lugaru.

Cortex Command. Lugaru.

I got two answers:

Penny Arcade Adventures
http://www.hotheadgames.com/pa.php

Site says the dev units are sold out. When they get more, we may look into it.

Thanks.

Vendetta
http://www.vendetta-online.com/

I've heard of Pandora, and am glad to see it's still going.

VO could run on it (perhaps a bit slow), but it would require a lot of
stripping-down of graphics and optimization for the platform. The time
involved with that would have to be offset by the business case for the
port, which I don't think is really there yet. Plus, maintaining an
ongoing port also consumes our resources, since we push out a new
release every week or so. I know it's a chicken/egg problem, the more
developers who support a platform, the more likely it is to be popular;
but given our very limited development staff/time, I don't think we can
swing it right now.

Having VO with full untethered mobile play on a tiny machine like the
Pandora would be very cool (potentially with Voice Chat, even), and I'll
keep it in mind. But our current development directions will probably
keep us busy for the next year, at least.
Thanks for the heads-up, and good luck, I hope the platform does well.
john

you should probably hold off on asking for ports. if the customers are skeptical, surely people who would make games would be too. better to have first impressions be of a new, REAL console than something that to the, could easily be vaporware

PoisonedV said:
you should probably hold off on asking for ports. if the customers are skeptical, surely people who would make games would be too. better to have first impressions be of a new, REAL console than something that to the, could easily be vaporware
It can be a hard sell, yes, PoisonedV... However, having said this, I've got TWO ports in progress, two more after those are done, and we'll see what comes of it after that. ;)

Guy Montag said:
"Site says the dev units are sold out. When they get more, we may look into it."
PM me a email contact over there at Hothead... :D

Do somebody know "tower of the ancients"? I've never played this game but I've seen Videos, could be interesting for Pandora, maybe a Homebrew remake dedicated for the Handheld? It is a 3D Tetris like game where you have to place the elements 360° and build a tower. Good Graphicas and Music for a Puzzle game. :)

People know it's not vaporware PoisonedV, that's not the problem. The problem is in order to attract anybody, for putting their IP for an unproven product is the fact that there won't be enough units out there to garner any interest for a while. Of coarse the workaround for that is paying them out of pocket to port their titles over (easier said then done with little money). Indie game devs are being snatched up by bigger developers like wildfire, otherwise some could be attracted (proven by the "Closed-source ports..." thread) to making games for the Pandora as a side project or a very attractive tick on their resume ("I have experience developing games for and embedded system like the Pandora and the Iphone/Ipod-touch") when looking for a new gig.

garethofthedead said:
Jets'n'Guns
http://jng.rakeingrass.com/index.php

IF the LGP ports I end up doing sell passably well, it'll be a done deal (LGP publishes Jets N' Guns for Linux platforms, of which Pandora's one of them...). Otherwise, you'll have issues with the port deal as they already technically have a publisher for this space. :D

garethofthedead said:
I would connect these dev but I suck at spelling.

Jets'n'Guns
http://jng.rakeingrass.com/index.php

The Linux Version of Jets´n´Guns is from LGP. Some days ago I got this mail form LGP:

We have someone looking at the platform in his spare time, but the
fact that it is a different processor architecture, and the limited
screen resolution, means that it isnt likely to happen I am afraid.

The costs of porting to a non-x86 platform are quite large for only
limited returns. I really do wish that O.P. had been x86 with a
slightly larger screen and we would already be releasing things for
it, I expect!

Back