Comments on the new website (openpandora.org)

I'd rather change the shop software to not display that string "There are no products", but instead e.g. "Please choose a category" or even a direct link 'Click here to see the Category "Consoles"', because otherwise people may miss the other subcategories of the shop, where they can buy accessories etc.

But I agree, that this string is not good. I also stumbled across this while navigating the links.
That would be just fine, but today openpandora.org still leads to "There are no products". Argh............ just ............ aaaaaauugh

Looks like I need to investigate the IE9 bug, amongst other things. Thanks for all the constructive feedback, really want this site to be as good as it can be. Although we can't please everyone, alas!

I'm behind the idea of a portal/resource site for existing users, to compliment this very "marketese" website. We may need to begin a community effort to compile content for such a site.

I'm behind the idea of a portal/resource site for existing users, to compliment this very "marketese" website. We may need to begin a community effort to compile content for such a site.

Just ask ED. He already started to do such a website and users already uploaded videos, pictures, etc. there.

Just ask ED. He already started to do such a website and users already uploaded videos, pictures, etc. there.

I heard tell of such a site, but haven't yet seen it! Or I might have, and subsequently forgotten. My memory isn't great.

nice design <(^o^)>

could you tell me where you hid the firmware and the codec pack or will they be reimplemented later?

I noticed ED moved it to the forums under Resources when he put the new site online. but still would be good to put it on the main page.

Thanks everyone who's been working on the site.

From a designer's perspective, I have a few recommendations to make:

• Design a proper header/navbar up the top and keep it consistent over the entire site

• Work your content vertically, try not to pile everything into 1024x768 (it looks very busy and there is no clear heirarchy of what the eye should be looking at)

• Lose the main content scrollbar, just have it so the entire page scrolls up/down.

Put that on the Wiki:
http://pandorawiki.org/Firmware

But didn't find out how to edit the main links on the frontpage of the Wiki :/

So the new page is not aimed towards Pandora users anymore at all? Only towards people, who want to get information about the device in general?

Especially in the beginning of my Pandora days, www.openpandora.org was THE place to go, if I needed something. Be it firmware, the forum link, the codec pack, some technical specs, whatever. I think it's good to have one central entry point to all information about such a project and device.

What about a link on the main page "for Pandora users", that links to a page listing all the important stuff with links to the places where it's found?

Could also be implemented as a drop-down menu on the main page, if it's not too many items.

I like the new site design!

+1 please fix it to work in IE soon

I linked to the new site from facebook and google plus. Can we somehow rearrange the page, so that those social media links select a better chunk of text, and a picture of the Pandora? I'm not sure how to do that, would need to experiment with a copy of the page...

pandora-facebook-links.png

Last edited by a moderator:
On the gaming page it says at the very bottom: "Between Emulation, Android and native ports the Pandora can play an absolute wealth of classic games in one form or another. " This sentence has many problems, so I'll just suggest an improved version: "From native games and ports to Android and emulators, there is an absolute wealth of games you can play on the Pandora."

The page also mentions "freeware native games" and then gives a list of 4 open source games (actually 3 of them are even GPL'ed). The difference between "freeware" and "Free Software" is rather important, so I would also change that phrasing. And please add a link to the "Game category" on the repo!

Also, a lot of information is gone now: pages like "current status", some history about the project, info about the OPT members, etc. Maybe for now it's best to include a link to the old website somewhere? Ideally the missing info somehow gets integrated in the new site...

The page also mentions "freeware native games" and then gives a list of 4 open source games (actually 3 of them are even GPL'ed). The difference between "freeware" and "Free Software" is rather important, so I would also change that phrasing. And please add a link to the "Game category" on the repo!

But then please also add a link to the "Office" section in an apropriate place of the site. ;-)

E.g. on http://www.openpandora.org/#!web

Also, a lot of information is gone now: pages like "current status", some history about the project, info about the OPT members, etc. Maybe for now it's best to include a link to the old website somewhere? Ideally the missing info somehow gets integrated in the new site...

+1

So the new page is not aimed towards Pandora users anymore at all? Only towards people, who want to get information about the device in general?

<unnecassaryrant>

This site was never meant to really inform people about the Pandora, only to sell it (a little bit "snake oil salesman" style)

</unnecassaryrant>

I like the new site design!

+1 please fix it to work in IE soon

I linked to the new site from facebook and google plus. Can we somehow rearrange the page, so that those social media links select a better chunk of text, and a picture of the Pandora? I'm not sure how to do that, would need to experiment with a copy of the page...

There are special meta-tags that allow you to tell Facebook what image and description you want to use for a particular website: http://davidwalsh.name/facebook-meta-tags

I found the firmware on that /firmware site, but the link to the codec pnd seems broken.

There isn't even a download folder.

Admittedly, I hate the new site. The old layout was much more attractive and professional-looking. The new one is clunky and hard to navigate. Major downgrade in my opinion.

Back