Complete Pandora Shown Before Pre-order?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also feel much better about preordering if I could see a finished pandora with at least some sort of a GUI even if the GUI is not finished. I hope we get to see a finished one soon!!!

I thought the initial preorders would be through Craig and co. and that there would be more information later on how to order from resellers and where.

Well, Craig said that he'd be showing a CNC'd Pandora case before preorder, but not the final, injection-molded case, which is really quite shitty, IMO. A few months ago, I would've thrown down my money willy-nilly for this thing, but after so many delays and seeing absolutely nothing as far as case/GUI goes, I have, like many other things, become cynical about Pandora. XGP, anyone?

CronoTriggerfan said:
Well, Craig said that he'd be showing a CNC'd Pandora case before preorder, but not the final, injection-molded case, which is really quite shitty, IMO. A few months ago, I would've thrown down my money willy-nilly for this thing, but after so many delays and seeing absolutely nothing as far as case/GUI goes, I have, like many other things, become cynical about Pandora. XGP, anyone?
Oh, Really?? I didn't hear that. (been away a few days).

I did hear that Craig promised to show a complete unit and OS before pre-orders, I don't remember his promise on emulators etc, but would assume those as well.

As far as I am concerned a CNC case and a injection-mold case are the same if you get them done professionally. (if injection-molded the case will be shaped identically as the die is CNC if I am right.)

Craig has some experience with producing plastic devices, so I am sure that the case will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhm, if he could show us a injection-molded device, why should there pre-ordering anyway?

The final cases are injection moulded, CNC cases would cost about $500 each even in bulk <wink>

We are arranging to have some made up now, we wanted to do an SLA one but it really was just too expensive ($3000ish).

In the end its what you want him to spend the money on. [A photograph of] a single, fancy looking case, or donations to devs to get more software?

Squidge said:
The final cases are injection moulded, CNC cases would cost about $500 each even in bulk <wink>

We are arranging to have some made up now, we wanted to do an SLA one but it really was just too expensive ($3000ish).
In the end its what you want him to spend the money on. [A photograph of] a single, fancy looking case, or donations to devs to get more software?

Yes, I want a photograph or better yet a HD video. Maybe I'm weird, but I cant image buying something which I don't even know how it's gonna look like.

paralaX said:
Squidge said:

Yes, I want a photograph or better yet a HD video. Maybe I'm weird, but I cant image buying something which I don't even know how it's gonna look like.

That's cool, you don't have to preorder if you don't want to

Kyosys said:
paralaX said:
Squidge said:

That's cool, you don't have to preorder if you don't want to

Exactly, and that's why they must do they best to attract people. Otherwise it will be total failure with maybe 1500 units sold after 2 years of development in first week.
I'm really big fan of pandora so that's my worst dream.

If you need to show people the pandora to make them order it, isn't the solution to that just... y'know, waiting till pandoras are out there?

I doubt that they won't reach 3000 due to the case being a little rough on the photos

I've defended Craigix because he hasn't actually promised anything, until now.

I say, if we've been promised something, they should deliver. If they can't keep that promise due to delays, what should I think about their expectation to ship on November?

paralaX said:
Exactly, and that's why they must do they best to attract people. Otherwise it will be total failure with maybe 1500 units sold after 2 years of development in first week.
I'm really big fan of pandora so that's my worst dream.
So that's your opinion then.

Now, in order to put just a little bit of weight behind that opinion of yours, I'm sure you're now going to divulge to us how many similar projects you've brought to a good end before.

You know, just so's we can tell you know what you're talking about...

It's only a week away, guys. You'll know soon enough if you're prepared to pre-order or not.

Consider this: If the 3,000 orders are snapped up immediately, there would be no pressing need to produce a pre-pro case. If the pre-order takeup is slow, then producing such a case could secure the final orders.

My main desire is not so much the case itself, but that it would allow the components (controls, keys) to be inserted and playtested properly. I would love to see vids of busting out hadokens, playing vertical shooters sideways and using the touchscreen.

paralaX said:

You sir are not weird. Weird is when folks jump all over you for wanting to see at least ONE finished product... and then throw crazy car dealership analogies at you for asking.

I think the Pandora is going to be great. Like the gp2x, it probably won't end up being as slick (in terms of build) as has been hyped but the guts will perform well and the community will grow.

If anything, I'd rather Craig push the November date further out instead of rushing some cheap builds out the door.

Fat Agnus said:
paralaX said:

You sir are not weird. Weird is when folks jump all over you for wanting to see at least ONE finished product... and then throw crazy car dealership analogies at you for asking.

I think the Pandora is going to be great. Like the gp2x, it probably won't end up being as slick (in terms of build) as has been hyped but the guts will perform well and the community will grow.

If anything, I'd rather Craig push the November date further out instead of rushing some cheap builds out the door.

I think that's rather rash of you. You have absolutely no proof that this will be the case, none whatsoever. If anything, we should expect the build quality to be better. We've had a lot better responsiveness and responsibility (hardware-wise) than anything from GPH, and I trust that they won't put out the Pandora unless they have made sure that it is comfortable to use. Remember, they do have a rapid prototype case, and that will basically have the same feel as the final one. If it isn't comfortable, they'll change the case design. They can change the case shape up until they create the injection mold, which they haven't done yet. That's why they're going to show us a CVC case, as creating an injection mold for doing injection molding is the point of no return - once you do that, you can't change the case.

It's impossible to show a final Pandora before the preorder as the injection moulding cases won't be ready until the end of October.

All we can show you is a prototype case made either in FDM (actually we have already posted pictures of one of those) or CNC which we are working on getting done right now.

We can't make it perfect because it will be a prototype either way. But we can post nice videos of what the hardware can do, as we have been doing all along.

We are here in the forum with you and will keep you informed through out the mass production cycle, reporting how everything is going as well as posting photos and videos of it all.

This is a unique project and you have watched us work though it all and we are in it for the full life time and are planning to do whatever it takes to make this the best damned handheld *ever made*.

Now I need to sleep, I've been up for 24 hours working! :)

Vorporeal said:
Fat Agnus said:

I think that's rather rash of you. You have absolutely no proof that this will be the case, none whatsoever. If anything, we should expect the build quality to be better. We've had a lot better responsiveness and responsibility (hardware-wise) than anything from GPH, and I trust that they won't put out the Pandora unless

I won't argue since I'm not sure there can be anything to argue about. Build quality is mostly subjective to begin with and even if you assign some quantifiable attributes to it, you have as much proof as I have.

The only thing we know for sure is that folks working on the process want it to be better than what GPH has produced (by whatever measure that is).

But again, I bring up the same thing I've written on other threads. MWeston is only one person working on the Pandora full time. By full time, I mean that they're not a student, or have other working hour obligations like the rest of us do (some of us anyway).

MWeston isn't just the HW guts person but ALSO a heavy contributor to the "build quality"... e.g. the case, and of course the super sexy analog button/sticks.

Back to your comment about "proof". There is no proof but you can certainly infer from projects MWeston and Craigx have worked on (take the recent iPhone controller add-on he's selling) and the manufacturers they've used in the past to extrapolate the type of build quality the Pandora will have. Heck, let's add 50% on top of whatever you think that is.

Now let's have a baseline to what I consider slick. The iPhone, the DS (lite and phat), the PSP, and many contemporary mobile devices. I don't think anyone expects the Pandora to match these examples in their seam tolerances, materials, and battery design.

Like I wrote, the Pandora's going to rock, it'll be versatile and a ton of fun extending the functionality by the devs on this and other boards. It'll be fun to show off... the list goes on and on but you have to be realistic and not expect a piece of tech borrowed 10 years from the future to be shipped.

Fat Agnus said:
I don't want to freak anyone out but the official order for the OMAP processors haven't even been made yet.

:-o
I'm not freaked out, as you don't appear to have provided a source for where you heard this (not that it would freak me out anyway - a talking llama might freak me out, though...). ;) Where did you see this?

EDIT: You guys still have that word-filter from years ago about the cigarette-spam...? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back