Complete Pandora Shown Before Pre-order?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fat Agnus said:
I don't want to freak anyone out but the official order for the OMAP processors haven't even been made yet.

:-o

Err yes it has? Because I did it weeks ago?

Why am I still awake? :(

Cure for insomnia anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Fat Agnus said:
I don't want to freak anyone out but the official order for the OMAP processors haven't even been made yet.

:-o

Err yes it has? Because I did it weeks ago?

Divulging of more juicy pandora infos :D

I think the people just need more than a video or two a month. Needs more teasers.
  • A dev board using video out to a tv and playing a game
  • A GUI, even if beta
  • The board using bluetooth or wifi
  • A put together unit in someones hands, really don't care what the case is made out, a prototype case is fine.
I think most people are sweating because its getting closer to the preorder date, and it seems like we're getting less updates. I know I check for new posts from craigx, ED, and MWeston atleast once a day on top of the official update thread, just to make sure I haven't missed anything. And for being the main people on this project, we're lucky to see a post once every three or four days.

Then again the obvious reason is because everyone is busy trying to get eveything done that there really isn't time for updates.

Will the CNC case fit the guts to enable us to see how the controls work? That's kind of an essential piece of a gaming machine and something that most people would wanna see before it launches.

Craig and the others are probably frantically working on the product to make sure there is no more delays. (Important with Wiz launching around the same time.) Thats why we have so few videos. As long as we have videos showing key features just before preorder it will be fine IMO.

Key features to me are:
-Working buttons (is it really expensive or difficult to get a prototype membrane?)
-Web browsing using keyboard and wifi(webkit/FF/dillo- I dont care)
-Hardware 3D support (I thought this was going to happen around june)
-A simple GUI (we can have window managers and stuff later)

Other things we don't have details on:
-stylus and its location
-detailed battery life info (what conditions give 10 hours, 8.5 hours, etc. Impact of 2 SD cards, other 3 processors, headphones or speakers, wifi/bluetooth module, USB host)
-speakers

All that said, I am still optimistic about the project.

greendots said:
-stylus and its location
-detailed battery life info (what conditions give 10 hours, 8.5 hours, etc. Impact of 2 SD cards, other 3 processors, headphones or speakers, wifi/bluetooth module, USB host)
-speakers
It's because of the general "what's this thing going to do?" and a whole bunch of other unknowns like future yet-to-be-developed software that I'm of the opinion that this will be the machine that'll keep on giving. When you get bored with one emu, go discover the latest developed one.

It's going to kick ass with every new game or emulator that'll take advantage of yet another unexplored feature. E.g. As of yet, there's still nothing running natively on the GPU due to absence of drivers, right? Well I can imagine the total jubilation when that gives games a performance boost, as well as open doors to the next quantum leap in emulation on the Pandora!

Simple question that doesn't need a case in hand.

Can the screen be opened 180+ degrees? I can't seem to find this info.

PS: Please mods, install a google site search at the top of the forum as the forum search often is not good enough. i.e. 3 letter acronyms: VNC, VLC, etc...

greendots said:
-stylus and its location
-speakers

All that said, I am still optimistic about the project.
To the best of my knowledge, the first two there, at least, have had some details given, if that's of any help. I seem to recall MWeston (I think it was MWeston, at least) stating that the stylus slides into the Pandora in a DS Lite sort of style (so, sideways, and running horizontally across the unit's back), and I also remember the 8.5 hours battery life figure's conditions being emulating the SNES (not just idling), which I believe was stated by Firefox (again, I think it was Firefox, at least :p).

If I've made any mistakes, do feel free to correct me. :p

cbp said:

PS: Please mods, install a google site search at the top of the forum as the forum search often is not good enough. i.e. 3 letter acronyms: VNC, VLC, etc...
No it seems they would have to pay for licensing fees for doing this. but im not sure for far it can be opened

Prometheus said:
To the best of my knowledge, the first two there, at least, have had some details given, if that's of any help. I seem to recall MWeston (I think it was MWeston, at least) stating that the stylus slides into the Pandora in a DS Lite sort of style (so, sideways, and running horizontally across the unit's back)
I think it was squidge, who mentioned it slides in sideways, and sits above the two SD cards. In the same post he mentioned there was about 100mm of length available there, so i'd expect a normal-size stylus.

There are enough unknowns right now that buying a Pandora may turn out to be a gamble. I'm trying to decide how much of a gambler I am.

ashdjones said:
There are enough unknowns right now that buying a Pandora may turn out to be a gamble. I'm trying to decide how much of a gambler I am.

i don't have any money as it is, so I'm gonna ask the bank to lend me money.
There are a lot things that can change and stuff like that. But i don't care i need to get one.
I can't wait for the preorder

cbp said:

Or you can keep another tab open to google.com and search "(term I'm looking for) site:gp32x.de"

So searching for VLC becomes:

"vlc site:gp32x.de"

To be honest I hadn't tried that before, but I think Chip mentioned it in another thread.

Back on topic, yes, I'd love to see some more of the GUI before I pre-order. I may pre-order anyway, cause part of the fun of something like this device is being there as all the software gets developed. Like when an emulator gets sound for the first time, etc. B)

Mjlink said:
craigix said:

Cannabis in edible or concentrated form

Peace

Link

works, but try melatonin :p I'm on that since I've heard of the Pandora project ;)

To be on topic... from what I've seen from the prototype pictures and video's, the final product will be REALLY nice looking. Can't wait to see the CNC'd version though... I'm into those machines (building a DIY one actually :D)
I wouldn't even worry about the final product, it'll be smooth and clean looking! (my prototypes look worse then I've seen of the Pandora, final product always looks better!)

Greets,

Mi

parag0n said:
I think it was squidge, who mentioned it slides in sideways, and sits above the two SD cards. In the same post he mentioned there was about 100mm of length available there, so i'd expect a normal-size stylus.
This lurker confirms it, and it was just a few days ago too.

Milander said:
i don't have any money as it is, so I'm gonna ask the bank to lend me money.
There are a lot things that can change and stuff like that. But i don't care i need to get one.
I can't wait for the preorder
You'll only be depressed if you buy on credit! Saving up money is more rewarding in my experience, especially as there's no guilt attatched!

Can't you sell some other gaming stuff you have? That's what i've done in the past when I've been broke!

craigix said:
It's impossible to show a final Pandora before the preorder as the injection moulding cases won't be ready until the end of October.
I know something about logistics and production schedules and this seems to be a pretty tight schedule. Especially because this is the first batch. It all smells a bit too jit for my taste :) Are all other components of the BoM already on hand? How much time will you need for test runs?
I will pre-order anyway, but wouldn't it be wise to warn people before pre-ordering there is a risk that it will not be available for xmas? I think we know the work involved and the pressure there must be on the team. An explained delay will not be welcomed, but I am sure most will understand and accept it if they are warned before pre-ordering.
I'm a bit skeptical because of delays I have encountered from very nearby ;)

craigix said:
Getting into a good sleeping routine. I know it sounds obvious but it really works!

Doesn't help if you've got crazy amounts of work to do though, and you're staying up till 6am. You have to be strict with yourself and get in bed (and off the computer) at a sensible time.

craigix said:
It's impossible to show a final Pandora before the preorder as the injection moulding cases won't be ready until the end of October.

All we can show you is a prototype case made either in FDM (actually we have already posted pictures of one of those) or CNC which we are working on getting done right now.
What was the main issue for the CNC case Delay? ED mentioned a date like "10. August" some time ago, then there only was the talk about a delay.

craigix said:
This is a unique project and you have watched us work though it all and we are in it for the full life time and are planning to do whatever it takes to make this the best damned handheld *ever made*.
Then you should think about a little Design-issue I've spotted onto EDs Explosion-case renderings: The D-Pad is hold in place only by one little notch onto the Case:
dpadholehd8.jpg

If this is planed for the final Pandora then you shouldn't play hard Beat-em-ups or Games where you often turn the D-Pad 360°. The torsion forces onto the pad can be heavy and the one little plastic "stick" onto the Pad can easily break, I had lost a good Gravis Gamepad because of this. Better include 2 or 4 notches into the case (and 2-4 "nubs" onto the pad) that can better take the rotation (torsion) forces during heavy gaming actions. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back