Convince Me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
tdude51 said:
...to wait a few months instead of spending my birthday money on an iPod touch 3rd gen. With a PS1 and N64 emulator and the iControlPad, it's looking like a good option at this point. The money's burning a hole in my pocket. Convince me to wait for the Pandora instead, or else I'll probably just end up getting the iPod.

If you primarily want a media device and Internet surfing, I would get the ipod, but for gaming, you will be very disappointed in an ipod touch. No matter what anyone says here, the iPod will be better at surfing the Internet because safari just blows anything else away and with all the iapps you can't go wrong, but once you add gaming in the mix and the built in keyboard, the Pandora is much better as a gaming device. You simply can not underestimate the importance of a controller suitable for gaming. I play around with my buddies ipod and he had some games installed and the control (or lack thereof) just ruins it. If gaming is what you want, don't waste your money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy both. I bought the iphone 3gs the other day and it rocks. Still can't wait for my pandora to get here tho coz the bigger screen of the pandora will be great for browsing the web, I can stiil use the web with the iphone but it's a bit of a pain zooming in and out all the time to read stuff. Hope flash support for arm is sorted soon coz I use a lot of flash stuff online but I can manage with my phone till then. I wouldn't take to long making your mind up coz I don't think there'll be many pandoras left if any...

christo930 said:
If you primarily want a media device and Internet surfing, I would get the ipod, but for gaming, you will be very disappointed in an ipod touch. No matter what anyone says here, the iPod will be better at surfing the Internet because safari just blows anything else away and with all the iapps you can't go wrong, but once you add gaming in the mix and the built in keyboard, the Pandora is much better as a gaming device. You simply can not underestimate the importance of a controller suitable for gaming. I play around with my buddies ipod and he had some games installed and the control (or lack thereof) just ruins it. If gaming is what you want, don't waste your money.

Please tell me how Safari will 'blow anything else away'. Chromium (open source, will run on Pandora) and Midori (open source, will run on Pandora) both use WebKit, the exact same engine behind Safari. Not to mention, Chromium uses the V8 JS engine, which just 'blows Nitro out of the water'.

Then, when you get down to it... iPod Touch uses a capacitive touch screen. Capacitive screens are great for mobile phones. They absolutely suck for web browsing. Wanna click that tiny little link right there? Too bad, giant thumb press is going to hit every link within 5 inches BUT it. You're forced to zoom in, click, then zoom back out. This isn't a flaw of iPod Touch/iPhone, it exists in most Android phones as well. Capacitive touch screens are amazing, but are horrible for anything that requires accuracy or a stylus.

Now, typing. Oh god. Even if you own an iPhone, and have used it for years, someone who just picks up a Pandora will type faster than you. Hardware keyboard > software capacitive screen keyboard. This is not to mention that the Pandora will be able to use any IME (input method editor) that Linux uses. That means you can write directly on the screen using the stylus and any language you want (typing Mandarin on a qwerty keyboard is downright annoying).

Bigger screen. This one kinda speaks for itself. On the iPhone, you're forced to zoom in/out to read stuff.

Navigation. On the Pandora, you can bind keys to certain tasks (hit L to go back, R to go forward), you can use an analog nub to move around the page, you can use arrow keys, you can use the stylus/scroll bar... NONE of these suffer from the problem of you accidentally hitting a link while scrolling.

Multitasking. Wanna browse the web while you're talking to friends on MSN? Done. Wanna have mplayer playing a vid in the background while you check something quick? Done. Not to mention, mplayer can be made to *strictly* use the DSP. That means Chromium/Midori will run at full speed WHILE you are watching a movie.

I think you get the point. The iPod Touch/iPhone will suck assss compared to Pandora for web browsing.

Convince you, eh? Well, what's to convince? Seems like a fairly obvious choice! Why WOULDN'T you entrust your money with people who have been fucking around, lying and making up excuses (or they're just insanely inefficient) for a year while paying customers wait for a product, to buy said product? Seems like a sound decision to me!

ps buy an ipod

Eternalodyssey said:
Gary13579 said:
The iPhone + iControlPad will be bulky and still pretty limited. Not to mention, the on screen keyboard is annoying. Having the hardware keyboard will be awesome.

Plus, Pandora will be able to do anything the iPhone/iPod Touch can. Including SMS and phone calls (oops, ignore that :) )

I would not completely discount SMS and making phone calls. Afterall, Skype may be a reasonable application within time and there is only time in this world for someone to write an application capable of sending SMS within the .pnd environment. With the advent of the iPhone (iCrap) world and the endless apps that people have produced for that overpriced piece of junk (personal opinion/observation of course), I believe the sky is the limit for what we might see. Afterall, I remember it was only 6 or so months ago people were considering N64 an impossibility but look at the progress that has been made. I hope to see a strong support base growing for the newly released project much like the Google Android received.

Google Voice + Ekiga or Pidgin or Empathy will be my SMS/Voice/Texting method.

Christo930 and Gary13579, thanks again for your suggestions. Puppydee, unfortunately I don't have the budget to buy both.

This thread has served its purpose. Feel free to close it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back