COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may surpise you to learn that the movie was named after a public holiday. I must admit, I always though Thanksgiving was for the celebration of independence, but reading up on it now it seems that thanksgiving is a more mobile feast and a kind of harvest festival thingy. Independence day is always on 4th July (two months after Star Wars day), and specifically for the celebration of shrugging off the British.

Thought it was the aliens...
So in the US there's the Star Wars Day, and the Independence Day.
And what about the other days ? Which movies are they named after ?

Well worth watching the Independent SAGE responses to *that* question...particularly

Warren Buffett recently predicted another pandemic. I'm kinda mixed on rich people's ability to predict things. Warren Buffett didn't really predict his way to stock market success, he lobbied his way there.

For a few years, scientists in this field were observing viruses making their way across species and into humans. They've long been predicting one of these virus strains would be more dangerous than normal. Likewise I believe that even if we manage finally to knock this one into a cocked hat in the end, it won't be long before a different virus is at our door.

Edit: On the positive front, at least we've had a good exercise of the vaccine making process and roll out now, The speed and effectiveness could be even better next time round.

Last edited:
For a few years, scientists in this field were observing viruses making their way across species and into humans. They've long been predicting one of these virus strains would be more dangerous than normal. Likewise I believe that even if we manage finally to knock this one into a cocked hat in the end, it won't be long before a different virus is at our door.

Edit: On the positive front, at least we've had a good exercise of the vaccine making process and roll out now, The speed and effectiveness could be even better next time round.
And yet despite that, Western countries sold off significant amounts of their pandemic preparedness measures and failed to maintain most of the rest. The UK’s preparation used to be considered the “gold standard” and is what Singapore etc. based theirs on. The UK knew how badly it would fare (particularly in care homes) after Operation Cygnus but *still* reduced its preparedness measures in favour of Brexshit. Now, having appeared to bet everything on emergency use authorisation of vaccine (which, contrary to UK “government” lies, it could still have done whilst a full member of the EU; it was EU legislation that enabled the UK to grant that auth., the other member states simply chose to be more cautious) there is no question that what they have sought to inflict throughout the pandemic is eugenics, not science.

Yeah, I lost a friend because I made little of the long-term effects. I feel really bad about it now.

Yeah, I lost a friend because I made little of the long-term effects. I feel really bad about it now.
One of my friends (a young adult) was recently infected. Unknown whether they’ll experience long term effects or not but initial impressions seem to be they got off relatively lightly. One of their relatives about the same age wasn’t so lucky and has suffered permanent, debilitating respiratory and cardiac damage. When discussing the relaxation of measures, they insisted that we can’t keep locking down we just have to live with it. I asked, what about their relative and the reply was no change because their relative is in the minority.

The UK’s preparation used to be considered the “gold standard” and is what Singapore etc. based theirs on.
If you're talking about vs covid preparation I think you get this fake info afterwards, because occidental countries applied zero safety protocols, including UK.
Plus they did absolutely nothing to save the elderly, that's why I have no problem calling this masquerade a genocide in plain sight.
The gold standard is Taiwan. The first action was taken the 31th December 2019, and they suffered only 7 deaths over one year.

Thought it was the aliens...
Thanksgiving is about giving thanks that the natives didn't have gunpowder.
It was the aliens.
The aliens massacrated the natives with their gunpowder and a part of the aliens (the invading force) became independent of the other aliens (those remaining in the motherland, or rather their leaders) and ruled the land to this day.
Is that what the movie tells ? I haven't seen it.
But IANAH. If you need to know ask historians.

I just talked with a friend from Barcelona. They relaxed measures just before Mobile World Congress, presumably so that it all looked fine for tourists and so (no masks required on the street, etc.).
They got an outbreak in one of the first cruisers to enter the harbor after been reopened for that.
Also local festivities (solstice stuff), summer music festivals, night life, etc. Some discotheques managers decided to close their locals themselves despite being allowed for the first weekend after 15 months, because they couldn't keep people behaving COVID-19-wise.
On Wednesday they had their record of COVID-19 infections in a single day since the start of the infection in Barcelona city. I think just wednesday 1/1000 of the city population was newly found infected. Normally one looks at weekly numbers, that'd be 323/100000 today. Big effort giving vaccines but no effort closing down again (not sure which government can order what). Apparently most cases are mild, but no idea about long COVID or how many will evolve to hospitalization, intensive care or death as the weeks pass...
The heights are near previous peaks but the slope is steeper.

Good news and bad news about what I said earlier. My sister had a rapid test done, and it came back negative for COVID-19. That said, her throat was inflamed, so she does have something. Like I said before, I'll tell you guys about it when I come down with it in three days.
I have some really bad nausea this morning, but my temp's fine. Not sure what's going on. I need to call my sister when she gets off work to see how she's doing.

If you're talking about vs covid preparation I think you get this fake info afterwards, because occidental countries applied zero safety protocols, including UK.
Plus they did absolutely nothing to save the elderly, that's why I have no problem calling this masquerade a genocide in plain sight.
The gold standard is Taiwan. The first action was taken the 31th December 2019, and they suffered only 7 deaths over one year.
When I say “used to be considered”, I’m referring to up to ~2010. It should have been clear from my comment that by the time of Operation Cygnus, there were significant gaps in the UK’s preparation for a respiratory pandemic (including the significant risk to care homes, specifically highlighted) and that this was exacerbated over the subsequent years by preparing for Brexshit instead. This doesn’t even bring up what actions they did/didn’t actually take when they knew there was a pandemic on. I equally have no problem calling what they’ve done genocide, just as I have no problem calling genocide what they’ve done to the disabled and destitute over the past decade (which they were called out on by two UN investigations). It’s called “reducing State pension and welfare liabilities”...
Post automatically merged:

I have some really bad nausea this morning, but my temp's fine. Not sure what's going on. I need to call my sister when she gets off work to see how she's doing.
Is it a sort of hungover-like feeling?

Care homes were mostly run by independent sensible people who kept everyone relatively safe. It was only when the government pushed highly contagious people onto them, they weren't set up for the kind of people that in more normal times would be kept in some kind of hospital building until they got better and stopped shedding. To be fair to the government we didn't know at the time how much these people were shedding, but if they'd been looking at the data it was pretty obvious pretty quickly what was going on, but they persisted. And the irony is they had all of these nightingale hospital buildings commissioned, but from that I hear they were mostly unused.

You know, it's weird, as of the last update Friday, COVID-19 transmission in my county was lower than in the surrounding counties. I've been used to my county being a hotspot throughout most of the pandemic. Our vaccination rate is right in the middle, but is much lower than Mecklenburg's, where they're still seeing more cases per capita than us. Since our test positive rate is slightly higher than theirs though, I'm going to attribute the lower cases here to a lower amount of tests overall, I think.

Edit: Yeah, Mecklenburg has five times the population of my county, but averages at least five times as many tests. That said, it doesn't quite explain the discrepancy, because they're currently seeing twice as many cases per capita as us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back