COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems looking at the UK data presently that vaccination doesn't really affect the spread of the virus at all, it just means you won't get ill enough to need to be taken into hospital when you do get it.
Likewise with barcelona data. Record high infections, at the same time of record low deaths. Not dying is always good.
I didn't check data, though I believe UK must be more vaccinated than Barcelona. Barcelona is around 55% first dose, 40 % 2nd dose, I think.

People in the US are slightly worried about July 4th being a spreader event. I think I saw an estimate that 47 million people were travelling for the holiday. It'll be close to a week before we know what the effect is though.
Post automatically merged:

Bah, I'm looking up COVID-19 news right now, and all I'm seeing is Duchess Kate. She hasn't even gotten a result yet, from what I can tell.

Ok. "At the same time" is misleading. The Barcelona outbreak is very recent, and the deaths come maybe a month or two after infections, unless earlier if hospitals become overwhelmed. So in the next weeks we could still have bad news. But anyway, it seems both vaccinated and unvaccinated get infected, but since the vaccinated are mostly the more vulnerable, both vaccinated and unvaccinated get mild cases (vaccinated because of the vaccine presumably and unvaccinated because they're young and healthy).
Also in Barcelona they get more than 30% of tests positive, which usualy means they're unable to do enough tests (WHO says it should be under 5%). Staff busy with vaccination can't test. Not qualified to judge how good that is. I hope mortality stays low.
Post automatically merged:

People in the US are slightly worried about July 4th being a spreader event. I think I saw an estimate that 47 million people were travelling for the holiday. It'll be close to a week before we know what the effect is though.
Is July the 4th a massive gathering festivity or small family affair ? I guess both are bad, but massive gatherings worse ?

Bah, I'm looking up COVID-19 news right now, and all I'm seeing is Duchess Kate. She hasn't even gotten a result yet, from what I can tell.
What ? do the USA have official nobility ? Who is that Kate ?

What ? do the USA have official nobility ? Who is that Kate ?
Nah, I'm referring to the UK's Kate. She's vaccinated, so they shouldn't be that worried. She did have contact with someone who tested positive though.

Is July the 4th a massive gathering festivity or small family affair ? I guess both are bad, but massive gatherings worse ?
There are fireworks shows in a lot of cities, so that could be a problem. There was one in my city yesterday too.

It seems looking at the UK data presently that vaccination doesn't really affect the spread of the virus at all, it just means you won't get ill enough to need to be taken into hospital when you do get it.
And this calls into question all those vaccination passports.
If you show a recent negative test and come from a reasonably low incidence area, then I might understand that you're allowed into a transport or event or something (I still prefer 0 COVID policies).
But if you just show that you're vaccinated and vaccination doesn't stop spreading it all becomes messy.
They don't want to say that because fewer privileges for vaccinated would discourage vaccination, but then the policy is not about stopping spread, it's about lowering hospital bills. It's not that you're allowed in because since you're vacicnated you can't give others a deadly disease, it's about you can get in because if you get the disease there you'll be cheaper to treat. Not sure about the economic cost of long COVID though, and whether vaccines have an influence on that.
I find it disgusting anyway that health issues become economic issues.
Trying hard to find a positive side to things, natural inmutity might be longer lasting than vaccines, so if vaccines let you get COVID without dying, they may get you more immune by having had the disease. I don't think that's anywhere near to proofed though.
Nah, I'm referring to the UK's Kate. She's vaccinated, so they shouldn't be that worried. She did have contact with someone who tested positive though.
Ok, I hope she gets well soon, whoever she is.
There are fireworks shows in a lot of cities, so that could be a problem. There was one in my city yesterday too.
I heard from somewhere (not USA) where they decided to do decentralized fireworks in a few places around the city instead of a central big firework party, hoping gatherings would be smaller or more people could just watch it from home.
Not sure it makes a lot of sense though.

There's concern that the Lambda variant could be worse than Delta and resistant to vaccines. It hasn't been detected in the US yet though, and is barely in the UK. Peru, on the other hand, is apparently screwed.

There's concern that the Lambda variant could be worse than Delta and resistant to vaccines. It hasn't been detected in the US yet though, and is barely in the UK. Peru, on the other hand, is apparently screwed.

You can bet it will be 90% of new UK infections within 10 weeks (just like Delta)...

My state will be posting four new days of COVID-19 data at noon. The hospitalizations on Friday were at 400 exactly, so that will be easy to remember when comparing it with the updated data.

If the hospitalizations are at 440 or above today, I get to have a panic attack.

I was slightly confused at the naming of these varaints. It seemed to go along the first four letters of the greek alphabet, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta but seems to go pretty much haywire along the alhpabet and lands anywhere later. Turns out they are using all of the letters for all variants of interest, it's just not all of them are promoted to variants of concern that we hear about:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_variants (try to view that on a computer, not a tablet or phone, or at least find a way to force the non-m version of that page, the mobile formatting seems to mess up my distinction entirely).

Damn, the Wikipedia article on Lambda says there are already 600 cases of it in the US. That conflicts with the IBT article I posted. Wikipedia's source is GISAID though, IBT's source was the CDC.

Edit: To follow that up, the CDC groups a whole bunch of lineages under "Other" without naming them, so Lambda could be one of those.

Good news, hospitalizations are still going down in my state, slightly.

Bad news, after staying at 3.0% positive or less for all of June, the positive test rate was 3.5% on July 3rd, and 4.0% on July 4th, the last two days shown. I think it's safe to panic now. AAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

You know, if you select cases in the past 14 days, my county and my dad's county are both in the forties. If you change it to past seven days though, my county has 17 versus 38 in my dad's county. This is despite my dad's county having half the population of my county. The case rate per 100,000 for the last seven days bears this out too, 8 for my county versus 39 for my dad's. Looks like my dad's county is starting to become a hotspot.

I mean, he had his shots though, so nothing to worry about, right?

Yeah, sorry. That jump back to 4.0% positive is concerning though, especially since the data stops at July 4th, meaning it's only going to get higher over the next few days.

So it's not binary whether the vaccinated get symptoms or not?

Fear++

The vaccine stops you ending up in hospital, it doesn't confer immunity. In the UK right now, Delta cases are doubling rapidly, but hospital admissions due to COVID remain at a pretty much constant low level. We're lifting all restrictions on the 19th July - which means that cases are going to skyrocket, but hopefully deaths and hospitalisations will continue to be low.

I guess we're gonna find out. We've been told by the Prime Minister that we're going to have to accept that people are going to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back