Select : Insert coin
Vol +/- : Volume control
Select + Vol +/- : Frameskip control
L + R + Start or Select : Quit

- in Vertical mode
Vol -, Vol +, L, R, A, B: Button 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Start + Vol +/- : Volume control

Just Download It!

Great work! Four releases in less than two weeks: you gotta love that!
The on-screen messages is very nice. When loading a rom, instead of a blank screen for 10 seconds, it actually tells you that it is loading the rom, loading the cache files. Nice. Also handy to see the volume level and the frameskip status.

In the future: this emulator needs some kind of options menu. It would be nice to be able to adjust the sound sample rate (or just turn sound off), toggle video scaling, and adjust the button assignments. And, as Faugh said, this would be a good way to pause the game.

Another (smaller) feature would be the ability to access the roms' Test Menu (F2 in MAME).

All things considered, ell is doing a great job. Thank you! Cant wait for the next release

And we finally have a name to put to this fantastic emu. And it's not a name we've come across before (even better - always good to see new devs come to the scene :) )

How do you shut off scaling? You don't need it for every game. It looks bad with it. Could there be a menu option somewhere?

I was recompiling the previous version this morning and wham, test 4 comes out!

Actually I don't mind the screen scaling at all. So we're missing a few vertical lines worth? At least the entire screen is there now.

There's a fair spreed improvement with the reduction of the sound to 22050.

Advice on what to play? Try ddtod and ddsom (Dungeons and Dragons: Tower of Doom and Shadow of Mystara).

I was recompiling the previous version this morning and wham, test 4 comes out!

Actually I don't mind the screen scaling at all. So we're missing a few vertical lines worth? At least the entire screen is there now.

There's a fair spreed improvement with the reduction of the sound to 22050.

Advice on what to play? Try ddtod and ddsom (Dungeons and Dragons: Tower of Doom and Shadow of Mystara).

The scaling just makes characters and text look like crap. You don't always need it as many games have most action in the center anyway. I hate the damn rippling when scrolling with that scaling. I don't know why it wasn't made optional.

Since you have the source and know what to do could you compile a non scaled version? We could then choose what we want by loading the appropriate .gpe, no fancy menu or anything. Please? I will d-pad mod your GP2X or something in return because now I can't play this version with the ugly scaling :p

Last edited by a moderator:
It is really temping to recompile this emu and make changes, but the Ell seems to be updating it pretty fast so let's just let him get on with it for now, i'm pretty sure a menu will appear at some point soon.

It is really temping to recompile this emu and make changes, but the Ell seems to be updating it pretty fast so let's just let him get on with it for now, i'm pretty sure a menu will appear at some point soon.

He may not think to add an option for turning off scaling though (he didn't this time, maybe he doesn't think we want it).

The other idea I had was to be able to adjust horizontal screen position. That way you could position it where the action was. So in a shooter for example you could shift the screen so that you could see your ship.

Nice work from Ell!
Not only are these updates coming out really fast, they are coming out at a somewhat quite time so really giving the munnity a boost!

Wow, much faster. Just beat the first DND game.

Almost all games I tried are playable.
Progear,
Puzzle Loop 2 (J)
DND

That's true, we'll see what happens. But that's why the source code is there - so we can play with it too.

ARe there any plans on getting a seperate CPS1 emulator going? If not, I'd be willing to take on the job.

It's a great emulator, thanks for all the hard work porting it! :)

EDIT:
I've had a look at the source. The dev has added options for screen scaling, sound rates, filters, etc so I think it's just a matter of time until all this gets properly sorted out and accessible.

snippet from the code: you do the maths :)

Code:
int option_showfps;
int option_speedlimit;
int option_autoframeskip;
int option_frameskip;
int option_vsync;
int option_stretch = 0;

int option_sound_enable;
int option_samplerate;
int option_sound_volume;
int option_sound_filter;

option_sound_enable = 1;
option_samplerate = 1;
option_controller = INPUT_PLAYER1;
option_speedlimit = 0;
option_frameskip = 1;
option_autoframeskip = 1;
sound_volume(50);

The scaling is not THAT bad I guess, scaling down slightly doesn't quite look as bad as scaling up for some reason. I am glad he didn't try scaling vertically too. Going one way (horizontal) to get to fit on screen was the best option if you were going to do it. It would still be nice someday if the 1:1 option was added.

Doesn't scaling slow down the emulation? I know sometimes it does.

Most of these CPS2 games are so mental by the time I notice the scaling the screen has changed 100 times already anyway. I tried Mars Matrix and lasted for 10 seconds, it is nuts, you are supposed to be able to play that? I wonder if anyone has ever beat it :p

Great emu though for being so early. Honestly I like NeoGeo much better though as far as the games go. I think NeoGeo has more on-screen colors and better sound, and Metal Slug ROX. Some of the CPS2 (and CPS1) side scrolling beat em ups are cool. I like AVP and Final fight.

@ Slaanesh yeah if you want CPS1 go for it. I like the games on that just as much if not better. Final Fight, Magic Sword, and Ghouls and Ghosts to name a few would be awesome. I played those through MAME but they are a bit slow and the sound is crackly. I faster dedicated emu would be awesome.

I have had a few games load for awhile and then dump out to Gmenu2X. I wonder if i have the wrong ROM version? The ones it didn't like were Pro Gear, Armwar, Rockman2.

I think the scaling looks pretty good. Of course on option to turn it off if desired would be better since it is not really needed in every game.
This emulator is great!
A KICK ASS emulator that came out of nowhere!
Thanks Ell!

Back