Cps2emu Test Version 6 And Capex Beta 2 Released

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
What a good CPS2 day :)

ell released Test Version 6 of his CPS2Emu - and JyCet released a nice frontend for it :)

capex_beta2.png

New in Test Version 6:

- fix input driver. (now working progear, again)
- update draw code to arm asm.
- fix line scroll mode more accurated(but, slowly).
- add line scroll on/off option(--linescroll, --no-linescroll).
- add horizontal only hardware rescale mode(--hwho-rescale).
- change cache format for asm draw function. no longer available test v4 cache data.
- add frontend option.

Download: CPS2Emu Test Version 6
Download: Capex Beta 2

Does '--hwho-rescale' also imply vertical software rescale or no vertical rescaling?

Very excited about this release!

Can hardly keep up! It's nice being excited about a new emulator and very nice new weekly releases! :)

Am I correct in assuming that the --linescroll option is the same as the 'raster on/off' option on the PSP version? Ot is this something else again?
On the PSP, switching off 'raster' means that many games will run quite a bit faster.

Any word on the assembler memset/memcpy? Or increasing the cache buffer size to 16MB for large games? Or RAM timings to give it the go-faster oomph?

EDIT: I see... Options for full/no cache. And assembler memset/memcpy too! Excellent! Heaps more command line options too. Will give it a try shortly.

Wow! Just tried it! Fantastic! I love the new HW scaled mode, it looks nicer than the full screen stretch.

I like the use of assembler for the graphics drawing routines. Very nice!

I think the only thing missing would be the RAM timings and a gamma option? My MkII screen is a bit dark and increasing gamma to 1.4 fixes this as well as increasing the viewing angle.

Oh actually a pause mode would also be good. :)

I know you could do it with save states, but I think high score saving would be great. I know this code has it's origins in MAME, so I'm sure it could be done using the MAME hiscore.dat and a bit of extra code.

Anyone else interested in such a feature?

Does it need new cache files? If so, how can I compile romcnv on a *nix system (it has no Makefile!)

I hope this version doesn't segfault on my console, as all the previous ones did :(

Brilliant release - this is actually the first time I've gotten round to playing the CPS2 emu, and it's smooth as chocolate. Or at least, it is at the default Capex speed of 233, which isn't exactly an insane overclock compared with other things.

Lovely, really lovely...

Steve Max, the romcnv app works great on vanilla wine. Just make sure to run it from the command line (don't run it from the file manager).

wine romcnv.exe

Steve Max, the romcnv app works great on vanilla wine. Just make sure to run it from the command line (don't run it from the file manager).

wine romcnv.exe

Unfortunately, that's not an option on Mac OSX/ppc :(

Made it work, though: I copied the romcnv Makefile from test5, changed it to include /usr/include/malloc, altered the name of the function zOpen to zOpen2 (looks like zOpen is taken already... I changed wherever it appears, so the code stays consistent), and it compiled fine.

However, my big problem remains: the main program, the emulator, doesn't work at all. Always exits with a segmentation fault (after "Game Start" appears on the bottom left corner). The last messages on the gmenu2x's log are:

Execute ./cps2emu --sound --semplerate=22050 --sw-rescale ./roms/sfa3.zip
New CPU Speed: 250 [note that my GP2x runs fine at up to 267 MHz]
Using /lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel/drivers/input/joydev.o
insmod: unresolved symbol input_close_device
insmod: unresolved symbol input_register_minor
insmod: unresolved symbol input_unregister_minor
insmod: unresolved symbol input_open_device
insmod: unresolved symbol input_register_handle
insmod: unresolved symbol input_unregister_handle
Segmentation Fault

If I run "cps2emu --help" from sterm, it segfaults right there. I don't know of a gdb-like debugger running on the gp2x, so I can't offer much more. Is there anything completely obvious that I may be missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
However, my big problem remains: the main program, the emulator, doesn't work at all. Always exits with a segmentation fault (after "Game Start" appears on the bottom left corner). The last messages on the gmenu2x's log are:

Execute ./cps2emu --sound --semplerate=22050 --sw-rescale ./roms/sfa3.zip
New CPU Speed: 250 [note that my GP2x runs fine at up to 267 MHz]
Using /lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel/drivers/input/joydev.o
insmod: unresolved symbol input_close_device
insmod: unresolved symbol input_register_minor
insmod: unresolved symbol input_unregister_minor
insmod: unresolved symbol input_open_device
insmod: unresolved symbol input_register_handle
insmod: unresolved symbol input_unregister_handle
Segmentation Fault

If I run "cps2emu --help" from sterm, it segfaults right there. I don't know of a gdb-like debugger running on the gp2x, so I can't offer much more. Is there anything completely obvious that I may be missing?

'--semplerate' should be spelled '--samplerate'
Do you have anything else installed? Other background tasks? USB joystick plugged in?
Cache files are good?

Here's some cksum values for some cache files I know are working on my system:

Code:
>cksum *.cache
3737822292 4475685 ddtod.cache
1262809098 8395576 ddsom.cache
3973765493 6752081 sfa2.cache

For some reason the program crashes when exiting. It tells me that the emulator is exiting please wait and then just a black screen I have to turn the GP2X off and back on does this happen to anyone else?

For some reason the program crashes when exiting. It tells me that the emulator is exiting please wait and then just a black screen I have to turn the GP2X off and back on does this happen to anyone else?

just installed it and it is happening to me too :(

says "exit. please wait. done" and screen gets black :p

GP2X MK2 here with FW2.1.1 (normal SDL libs from gp2x file arch, no menu-selector, plain vanilla)

anyone knows something about the problem? thanks in advance.

Yep , here too.

However , still an utterly beautiful emulator : runs all the games I've tested on it so far perfectly :)

'--semplerate' should be spelled '--samplerate'
Do you have anything else installed? Other background tasks? USB joystick plugged in?
Cache files are good?

Here's some cksum values for some cache files I know are working on my system:

Code:
>cksum *.cache
3737822292 4475685 ddtod.cache
1262809098 8395576 ddsom.cache
3973765493 6752081 sfa2.cache

Yes, it's samplerate. Eye-based copy-and-paste without spellchecking usually has this kind of result...

Actually, you've got it: the caches aren't getting well formed. I got my brother to send me a (Windows-generated) cache for street fighter alpha:

$ md5sum sfa.cache
13a878980b9d27de94923f8159967d28 sfa.cache

And created the cache for the exact same ROM on my machine:
$ md5sum sfa.cache
925d0c624a5893ac2b01852ed0cc4f9b sfa.cache

The files clearly differ. Now, why does the Windows version generate different caches than an *nix-compiled one? The filesizes are identical.

Does this happen only on OS X, or are other unixes (Linux?) affected? I cannot code in C at all, but I can help debugging this.

The files clearly differ. Now, why does the Windows version generate different caches than an *nix-compiled one? The filesizes are identical.

Does this happen only on OS X, or are other unixes (Linux?) affected? I cannot code in C at all, but I can help debugging this.
I haven't looked at the code, but it might be a CPU endian issue? Do you have a PowerPC or Intel Mac? I'm guessing it's a PowerPC.

Great update, thanks Ell. Progear and 1944 are working again :) It is nice and smooth too.

I have no trouble exiting. It exits to Gmenu fine when I hit select + shoulder buttons.
It would be nice to be able to switch games without exiting the emu but no big deal.

By the way it is much better than a "test" version. Seems pretty much perfect.

Back