Cps2emu Test Version 6 And Capex Beta 2 Released

Any chance you could implement vol- + vol+ (or some other convenient but unused combo) as pause? I've twice died in Puzzle fighter now due to insistent flatmates demading my attention, since of course, unlike the console versions of these games, they don't have sucha feature built in...

Any chance you could implement vol- + vol+ (or some other convenient but unused combo) as pause? I've twice died in Puzzle fighter now due to insistent flatmates demading my attention, since of course, unlike the console versions of these games, they don't have sucha feature built in...
I've had the same problem with lack of pause, but I cunningly have started using the Save State feature.

If I need to pause, I do a save state, then do what distraction I need to do and reload from where I left off.

:D

But a real pause would be great. Another button to do this?

I'm thinking some sort of simple user interface is now required as there are a lack of buttons.
The UI would pause the emulation and allow the user to control options just like in the PSP version, including loading/saving state. I noticed in the code there is a save snapshot feature which is used by the save/load state option on the PSP version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't the cache be eliminated if you use the extra RAM in the GP2X?
Yes, probably. In the scheme of things it will probably happen, but I don't think it's a high priority.
The cache files aren't really THAT big.
Games will take longer to load as the graphics from the ROMS would need to be read and reformatted to the correct format.

As an example, expect similar delays if you play a Neo Geo ROM on MAME, as it's doing the same thing. There's a fairly long delay after the ROMS have loaded - this is the graphics reformatting, which if you have 32MB to reformat is not trivial.

@johnz1
Yesterday evening I updated capex with the new command line option but no time to do some complete test, that's why I havent posted it yet on file archive. If you want to test yourself you can replace the capex.gpe by this one:
http://jycet.perso.cegetel.net/programmes/capex_private.rar
And finally I've planed to give the possibility to have a custom setting by parent rom (it's not necessary to have some different setting by clone ;) )
JYCET

Is here an Expert who can explain, what this "Line Scroll Mode" do? Where do I need this and where not?

And which Game Settings for each game do you prefer?
Line scroll is used (for example) in the Street Fighter games, typically for the surface they are fighting on, giving a nice depth effect. Normally scrolling is only done for the entire layer.

Wow v7 already! Thanks Ell!
Thanx for the explanation. :) Yes, I have seen the effect in "Vampire Savior", looks really nice, especially the Desert-Stage.
For the new unscaled "screen-adjust" Option, maybe this could be done ingame or a graphical GUI-option could be done for Capex, where you can move a frame over an screen-image via stick and the GUI saves this as Position for the Game....just an Idea. ^^"

I would'nt mind a button config myself.so that I can assign 1 button to do the 3 button press ie lp+mp+hp for msh and other games which need it like x-men cota etc

I would'nt mind a button config myself.so that I can assign 1 button to do the 3 button press ie lp+mp+hp for msh and other games which need it like x-men cota etc
My idea is to have an (optional) key combination (preferably light punch + hard punch, since it doesn't collide with any other functions in the SF and VS games) that would register as all three buttons being pressed at the same time (and the same for kicks).

An excellent emu! Finally have playable sf alpha 3!!!

this is the first version i've tried (I waited) and its just awesome and unlike my fav emu (Gngeo) roms are very easy to get working and the cache making is easy enough to make it worthwhile converting all available roms.

Only needs button config (i prefer shoulder buttons to be weak punch and kick).

Thanks Ell!!!! :D

@johnz1
Yesterday evening I updated capex with the new command line option but no time to do some complete test, that's why I havent posted it yet on file archive. If you want to test yourself you can replace the capex.gpe by this one:
http://jycet.perso.cegetel.net/programmes/capex_private.rar
And finally I've planed to give the possibility to have a custom setting by parent rom (it's not necessary to have some different setting by clone ;) )
JYCET

Ok, I have a problem. Show FPS seems to be broken. I think everything else works fine.

Thanks!

EDIT: forget it, i'm using the horizontal hw rescale, and i missed the part in the readme where it says "showfps: not support in hw-rescale mode"

so as far as i can tell, everything works fine with the new CAPEX

ooooo, just found something cool

you can use /nvram/ for .nv files from MAME.
apparently CPS2EMU doesnt save .nv files, but it can load them.

I looked into this because i'm a Marvel v SF addict and i got tired of going into the test menu and changing shit every time I play.

Once again, CPS2EMU doesn't disappoint!

Yesterday evening I added showtitle option and screenposition, it work fine.
I've tested fullcache and no-fullcache but it's not very clear of what did it do and sometimes no-fullcache crash at exit.
Now I'll add dedicated config file per parent rom.

I looked into this because i'm a Marvel v SF addict and i got tired of going into the test menu and changing shit every time I play.

CPS2EMU is based on MAME 106. If you create an nvram directory it will save to this.

I've tested fullcache and no-fullcache but it's not very clear of what did it do and sometimes no-fullcache crash at exit.
For games which require a large cache, --fullcache will allocate a 16MB buffer. On the PSP, with it's smaller RAM, 16MB was the absolute maximum that could be allocated, often this would be a lot less depending on the ROM.

For example, ddsom would only allocate an 8MB cache whereas with --fullcache this will be 16MB.

Sorry not full up on all the MAME bits - even though i use it, but whats a .nv used for ?

Thanks

Yesterday evening I added showtitle option and screenposition, it work fine.
Now I'll add dedicated config file per parent rom.
Do you change something on the rom-detection-method in next releases? CAPEX only shows and plays me blue parent Roms but I have all region Versions in the Rom-Archives (as files included, not as seperate folders). And it don't play clone Roms like "MVSCU" for example. Without Capex, they work perfectly when I change only the name of the Rom file/cache File. But Capex only gives me orange Names for renamed ROMS. (I think it don't detect the existing parent Rom)
CPS2EMU is based on MAME 106. If you create an nvram directory it will save to this.
Hey, such important hints should be in the readme! :lol: Cool, it works. The standard difficulty for Super Gem-Fighter for example is a little bit hard I think. Now it's easy to keep the changed machine settings.

@fusion power
If you use "unmerged" roms set it's normal if you cant launch your clone because I've choosed to analyse roms with "splited" logic.
Basically for a splitted clone rom you need parent rom & cache of the parent rom. Split your roms is useful to save SD space :)

I'll open the game launching for all detected roms without any cache or parent restriction in next beta.

Sorry not full up on all the MAME bits - even though i use it, but whats a .nv used for ?

Thanks

NV or NVRAM stands for "Non-volatile random access memory". The config data and sometimes the high-scores are saved in this file.

Regards,
Stephan

@fusion power
If you use "unmerged" roms set it's normal if you cant launch your clone because I've choosed to analyse roms with "splited" logic.
Basically for a splitted clone rom you need parent rom & cache of the parent rom. Split your roms is useful to save SD space :)

I'll open the game launching for all detected roms without any cache or parent restriction in next beta.
Ah, ok. Well, I like it to have all in one File. I think splitting the Rom wouldn't save that much space, the clone-files are very small and I save the most SD-space by deleting the cached files from the rom-archive. :) (Its funny: the seperate cache file + the rom-file without the no longer needed gfx files inside are smaller together than the normal non cached rom-file! :lol: )

NV or NVRAM stands for "Non-volatile random access memory". The config data and sometimes the high-scores are saved in this file.
Exactly, but for some reason I haven't seen ANY high score saving going on, so I'm sure that it would be easy enough to add in MAME high score saving with the hiscore.dat file.

Hi, I've updated capex in file archive but need to wait the validation

Code:
Beta 3:
-add 3 last missing preview (choco & hsf2a & rckmanj)
-add launching menu
-add dedicated config file by parent rom (*.cf in ./conf/)
-add --hwho-rescale option support
-add --linescroll option support
-add --frontend= option support
-add --showtitle option support
-add --screen-position= option support (only for no rescaled mode)
-add --fullcache option support
-chg launching rom (add ORANGE & YELLOW for unmerged roms)
...(lot of small things here and here ... but forgot)

dedicated config file ... I like it
:)

@Jycet: Looking forward to the new frontend!!!

Just wondering, and this is really aimed at Ell if you are reading. I find that after I exit cps2emu and go to use the USB drive to transfer other files, that it doesn't disconnect properly. Anyone else find this?

Try the following:

1). Start cps2emu
2). Play a game and exit.
3). Using the GP2X menu, go to the USB drive and transfer a file.
4). Try to disconnect... mine will always not disconnect properly...

Back